ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Exhaust: At a loss of what to do

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-06, 01:22 PM
MoreMGD32
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust: At a loss of what to do

Whats up guys! Im at a loss for what to do. Ive been searching for about 2 weeks now for exhaust for my new 2003 Es300. Ive searched everything from apex to Tanabe. Ive called Tanabe, apex, borla direct and they have nothing for the 2003 1mz-fe. Does anyone know what i should do. I dont nessesarily wanna go to a custom shop and have them bend me a exhaust b/c it wont give me that much HP just sound/noise unless its mendrel bent titanium/alluminum.
Does anyone know of any solutions?

ANYTHING WOULD BE SOMETHING
Old 04-24-06, 02:23 PM
Lex-ES
Driver School Candidate

Are you racing your Lexus for money? If not, leave the car (performance wise) how it came. That is the best advice I can give you. Do some appearance mods to be 'different', but leave the 'performance' mods for drag cars. You'll thank me later....
Old 04-24-06, 03:00 PM
W. David
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MoreMGD32
I dont nessesarily wanna go to a custom shop and have them bend me a exhaust b/c it wont give me that much HP just sound/noise unless its mendrel bent titanium/alluminum.

Well, you're not going to get much - if any - horsepower out of anything on this particular car.....As far as the big name manufacturers go however, Tanabe is doing some R&D on the 300/330's right now (at least they were planing on it). Last I heard, they were hoping a product would be available sometime this summer.
Old 04-24-06, 04:18 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

I dont nessesarily wanna go to a custom shop and have them bend me a exhaust b/c it wont give me that much HP just sound/noise unless its mendrel bent titanium/alluminum.
Mandral bent titanium, or aluminum!? You realize that 99% of all exhausts are mild steel right???
The pipe has next to nothing to do with the sound that comes out of it. The resonator, and muffler do that. Not the pipe material.

Just buy a muffler, buy a resonator (Or re-use the stock one), and have someone weld one up for you. It's not expencive & it'll have a gajillion times better chances to please you.

Also, all of those companies sell stand alone mufflers if you just have to have one.
Old 04-24-06, 05:24 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

see if tanabe still needs an 03 ES for testing. free exhaust!
Old 04-24-06, 06:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

About the only thing you want to make sure of is that the muffler you get is a direct flow muffler. This was one of the first performance mods on my RX. Louder, but definitely a little more power there.
Old 04-25-06, 11:51 AM
MoreMGD32
Pole Position

the titanium is lighter and a lot smoother material for air flow and i though b/c it was mandrel bend it had no kinks in it to prevent airflow or at least thats the impression i was under!

I dont want anything ricy sounding i wanted something to ad more torque and give it a little more agressive sound.

keeping in mind this stuff ^ whats do you think is the best solution?

Brennan

THanks for the help
Old 04-27-06, 05:18 AM
joosed
Driver School Candidate

Yo bro... I don't know that much about custom exhausts and all but in my personal opinion I would listen to what some of these guys are suggesting to you. Keep your stock cat and resonator. Replacing/disgarding them will deffinately make your car sound totally rice... opt for a universal Greddy/Tanabe muffler and have a muffler shop weld it on for you. Oh and btw switch out your stock air filter for a K&N. That will also free up a little more power to your motor...
Old 04-27-06, 08:00 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

* I always ew on K&N filters. (See the fram air filter discussion why I hate them.)
* The cat doesn't have much to do with the sound. High-flow cat is a good upgrade. No cat is ever better. (WIth an o2 simulator on an OBD-II engine.)
* The resonator is an issue. *Without* one, you'll sound rice. With nearly any descent one, from a medium length glasspack, through actual striaght through muffler/resonators. It'll keep the abusive over-tones & run-out noises from getting out of the system.

Keep the stock resonator is popular with the ES & Camry crowd in general because they're 2 1/4" in diameter, like the stock pipes. So even with a (minor) upgrade to 2 1/2" pipes, they're not really a restriction point.
Also, the 2 1/4" OD pipe will generally let 2 1/2" O/D pipe slip onto it. It's common for people just to saw the pipe off behind the stock resonator, and clamp / weld the new muffler on from there. (Without really replacing much pipe.)
Old 04-27-06, 01:02 PM
MoreMGD32
Pole Position

Thanks fellas i am gonna look into that. any idea what the price would be to get this process done? about 250 for the new car and larger piping(keeping the stock resonator).

^will this at all give me a throatier sound?
Old 04-27-06, 05:50 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Depends on the muffler, but ya. Apexi & magnaflow are quite popular.
What you'll find out, is that a lot of mufflers that come from companies that supply to i4's sound quite different on a v6.

The intake has a lot to do with sound too.