ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

strut bar install question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-05, 07:24 PM
redzeppelin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strut bar install question

I just received my new strut bar, I was wondering where or what i do with that crescent shaped brace in the strut tower. Do I put the strut bar brace under or on top, or remove it all together
Attached Thumbnails strut bar install question-strut.jpg  
Old 07-28-05, 07:57 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

keep it there
Old 07-28-05, 09:09 PM
redzeppelin
Pole Position

well, i just installed it, I put that crecent shaped piece on top of the strut bar brace and seems to work fine, I am very happy with it and there is a noticeable difference, next up, new suspension! not sure what yet, anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-28-05, 11:15 PM
ES BL155
Pole Position

Congrats on the strut bar. Just curious, what company did you get your strut bar from.
As for a new suspension, i would go with k sport coilovers if you have the money. Or if your like me and cant afford that, intrax springs offers a very nice drop. You would just need some nice struts if you get the springs to maintain a smooth ride.
Old 07-29-05, 07:37 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Yes...I'm curious as well as to which bar you got. I ordered the stock Solara OEM bar from my local Toyota dealer. But when I installed it, my hood would bulge in the back slightly...I"m picky and this wasn't good enough. So I ended up 'hacking' a cut in the hood supports that were touching the bar to allow the hood to shut properly.

It felt really weird cutting sheet metal off of my baby. On the positive side, I love the handling with my bar installed especially going into sharp corners. Definitely noticeable.
Old 07-29-05, 01:20 PM
redzeppelin
Pole Position

I bought the strut bar on ebay from Deluboz Performance Parts in Texas. There are no hood issues but when i start the engine there is a little rattling because it hits a high point on the MAF. Although it does not cause damage and it does not make noise during WOT or revving the engine. I am very pleased with it though, after I installed it last night I took my car out to a big open parking lot and whipped it around, and I can deffinately feel a difference. If you are looking for one just put lexus camry solara strut bar into the ebay search, and you'll find quite a few. It wouldn't have been Huge deal, but I AM glad that I didn't have to cut out any of the hood.
Old 07-29-05, 01:27 PM
ssultan
Pole Position

Actually I saw an aftermarket strut bar on a 98 ES here in Toronto. The problem is that I could easily flex it by putting pressure on it....if I could flex it I knew that it wouldn't really make much of a difference. Then I went to the dealership to have a look at a Solara engine bay...those damn bars are MEATY and absolutely rock solid. Night and day difference in strength/quality between the bar I originally saw installed.

Now ofcourse this could very well be the case that I got to see a really bad, cheap version of the bar to begin with. I'm sure there are other, better built aftermarket strut bars...finding them down here in Toronto is impossible though.
Old 07-29-05, 02:07 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

ssultan your above posts are an exemplary example of why strut tower bars:
1) Don't work
2) Are a complete waste of money

So much so that they're an utter joke.

Guys, eBay your bars, and use the proceeds to buy suspension components that actually work LoL!
Old 07-29-05, 06:32 PM
redzeppelin
Pole Position

yeah, i was worried about that. I've known a couple of people with lame, flexible bars, but mine is very stiff, there is no flex at all, it is also tightened. Some say they are crap, but I believe that it makes difference that I can feel, and that is good enough for me.