ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 A/C or cabin filter change (97-01)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-13, 05:55 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by esdarkness
Why would there not be any cabin air filters installed????
I can give one explanation. I've had my '98 ES since new. In about my 2nd year of ownership (maybe sooner) I had a problem with moisture appearing on the windshield interior, and a mildew-like odor. After taking it to dealer, they said they had fixed the problem by replacing the cabin filter which had been wet. I no longer experienced the problem, and several years later I decided to replace the filter myself since it was probably overdue. To my surprise, I found no filters there - they had simply removed them when they "fixed" the problem. I suppose the filter area dried out better when no wet filters were in there. Maybe?

Whatever the reason, I suspect that , since so many of us are finding no filters in there, that maybe just removing the filters altogether was the easiest "fix" with fewer customers then repeatedly bring the cars back in for the same problem. If so, it's probably not documented, but may have been just talked about in the dealership tech meetings back in the day.

Just my guess, though.

Walt
Old 04-01-14, 08:46 AM
clintbw
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed my cabin air filter on my newly acquired 2001 Lexus ES and wow were they dirty. I'm really glad that there were filters actually installed. After I took them both out, I tried gathering all the dirt and debris that had accumulated over the years and reinstalled the new Fram Carbon Filters. Well, after using the A/C a few times, I heard more debris move through the system and was caught in the air blower. I knew it was the air blower because it came from behind the glove box and it made a very loud noise when on max speed. So I took it out and this is what I found:

Fixed the problem. However, a few days later, the SAME thing happened and looked just like this again. Does anybody have a clue why so much debris is falling? Is it just the remainder of what was in the system or is it possibly new debris? I've been keeping it on recirculate since then. Any insight is appreciated.
Old 05-05-14, 07:57 PM
weetodd300
Driver School Candidate

Default insert the top filter and push up all the way

I did this today in about 30 minutes. thank you to the OP and all who added info to this thread. I did not have to disconnect anything, just pull carpet back and take off panel door. I had difficulty installing the new filters, which took about 15 minutes of a patience on my knees, trying to fit the second filter in under the first filter. My problem was i did not have the top filter pushed up all the way in.
I used a Denso air filter from RockAuto for $17, which was an exact match and fit as designed. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...159&cc=1316093

old dirty filters on the left, new filters on the right

my old filter was not as dirty as i expected,but i did have some leaves up in there -- pro-tip: have a shop-vac at the ready
Old 05-07-14, 01:57 PM
AWoo8k
Driver School Candidate

Default Just changed mines this morning 99 Es300

Hey i truly appreciate the DIY instructions, i just changed mines this morning, alil grunt here and there but it was easy to change, there was a old filter in there and alot of leaves but cleaned everything out
Old 05-08-14, 11:32 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

The BEST investment of time and minimal money any ES owner can make........ Thanks for the DIY info!
EZ job to do,,,, just follow the instructions and allow about 30 minutes of time.
Old 05-20-14, 03:51 PM
Hydrotex
Driver School Candidate

Default No ac filter

Can I still install an ac filter if my car does not have one, or is there no place to put one?
Old 05-20-14, 04:45 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrotex
Can I still install an ac filter if my car does not have one, or is there no place to put one?
YES! You can install the filters even if your car does not have one. Order the Wix carbon filters from Rocky and once they arrive open up the air box door........ Slide them in and you are done.
Tricky but easy job..... The first time you do it.
Old 08-02-14, 02:29 PM
Venyab1980
Driver School Candidate

Default Cabin filter

Great DIY description and pics at the beginning of this thread. Helped me out a bunch. I bought an STP cabin filter at autozone for $28 bucks for my 98es300 and went ahead with the replacement. I tried pulling the electrical plug and couldn't get it off so, I went ahead and just cut the zip tie that was holding the wires and then moved them out of the way of the access door. I come to find out that I had no filter at all. A bunch of dirt and leaves in there but no moisture. Put the new filters in (2 of them) and I was done in about 45min. Bottom filter was a bit challenging to put in because the top one was fighting gravity to stay up. Ordered a second one for my newly acquired 2001es300. Thx Miltonlin.

Last edited by Venyab1980; 08-02-14 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-08-15, 06:09 PM
Mphidd
Driver School Candidate

I'm looking forward to doing this on my car this week. Hopefully it won't be too hard. Do you guys recommend using a washable reusable filter?
Old 05-09-15, 06:38 PM
jokesock
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to these instructions, I was able to do this job today. Though it was still a pain in the *** because the location is tucked in the back and you can barely get in a position to see or do anything. I was pretty confused every step of the way, but now that I've done it once, it should be very easy to complete next time.
Old 06-17-15, 11:48 PM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Probably 97'ES is correct in that the filters did not become an option until 2000.

Apparantly there is about a $800 price difference in a complete HVAC system between one with the Filters and one without.
Old 09-18-15, 09:33 AM
vbhalla24
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 97 Lexus ES300 Gen1 cabin air filter replacement

Recently I changed cabin air filter on my 97 Lexus ES300 (Generation 1). I believe this model is closer to 96/95 lexus es300 as far as cabin air filter goes.

I left a youtube video too and put it in my comments on how i achieved it.

If anyone has questions do ask, I will be able to answer it since I got success at last.

Old 09-18-15, 09:35 AM
vbhalla24
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 97 Lexus ES300 Gen1 cabin air filter replacement success

I was able to replace the air filters without taking this plate out. Just remove the black wire plug in front of it and clear space in front of filter cover. Press the top two clips on white cover and then push it upwards to take the cover out. There were no filters present it was all empty inside. I put in both top and bottom filters by sliding them. For top one I had to use my long screw driver to push it upwards and once up it did find its position and did hold to it. Then i was able to push in bottom one too. All done.
Old 10-20-15, 09:52 PM
Descente
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to Milton, and Larry from the 1st page. I was trying to force the bottom part of the filter in while twisting and turning, all the while having the side of the car dig into my body... Tilting the seat back and laying on it was much easier and allows for more movement and sight of the cabin air filter slot. Make sure to press the top filter ALL THE WAY UP. The bottom part of the filter will then slide in. Great information, still useful after 10 years!

Part used: Denso 453-1002 First Time Fit Cabin Air Filter (carbon deodorizer instead of just the white filter Denso 453-1004)
Old 11-28-15, 05:43 PM
lexrod6
Driver School Candidate

Just did this myself on a 1999 ES. After reading through all the post, I was expecting No filters, but to my surprise... There were. I too, just cut off the zip tie as I just couldn't get the wire plug unhooked.

Thanks again to the OP and all else. The key thing for me was - lift the first filter you install all the way up.

Quick Reply: ES300 A/C or cabin filter change (97-01)