ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Haunted radio !!

Old 06-21-01, 04:34 PM
spinedoc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the oddest problem with my radio. At random the radio will suddenly drop down in volume, so low that you can barely hear it even if you crank the volume. It is very odd, and at first came if I took a corner too fast. But lately it randomly shuts off and on like this even if Im just sitting at a stand still.

Im guessing pre-amp or amp (it is 100% factory). What do you guys think? How can I test these in the factory system?

Thanks much.
Old 06-22-01, 03:44 PM
spinedoc
Rookie

Unhappy OK...

OK, can anyone tell me if my 1994 ES300 has any FACTORY external amplifiers, or only the built in amp of the head unit?

It is a premium sound system, all stock, with the CD changer.

Im trying to narrow this down to the radio, or an external factory amp. If there is no amp I will just buy a new head unit off Ebay.

Also, what other years, and models Lexus head units fit my ES? I know the SC head units look exactly like the ES ones of these years.

Thanx. By the way, anyone home? It seems there are not a lot of helpful people on this forum, but a lot of lurkers.
Old 06-23-01, 05:03 AM
spinedoc
Rookie

Default hmm

OK after a couple of day of this intermittent stuff, now the radio does it 100% of the time. The radio display lights up fine, but very very little sound comes out of the speakers. I have to turn it up all the way to get a tiny bit of sound.
Old 06-23-01, 05:35 AM
chrislee8
Driver

Default Many

things can cause the problem you describe.

I can only suggest you take it to a shop to fix it. But you could end up being forced to buy new HU, AMP, etc.

('cause they want to make money!)

If you want to try it urself? take the HU out, get a test line, test all the wires to see if they have signals. Check all the connections to see if any loss part.

It could take hours to inspect what cause the problem. so good luck.

btw, post your question in the electronic forum may get you more answers(maybe).

Old 06-23-01, 06:09 AM
spinedoc
Rookie

Chrislee I know you have the same type of auto as me =).

Do you know if the factory system has any factory amps? Or is it just the HU and the speakers? This would help me narrow it down. Also if there is a factory amp where is it located? I have looked under the rear seats and dont see anything.

Thanx, little info like this will help me troubleshoot this much faster.
Old 06-23-01, 09:01 AM
lextek
Driver

The factory amp is located under the passenger seat. Remove the seat, unscrew two phillips screws and unplug two connectors. By your complaint it sounds like the amp is your problem, it being in this location is really succeptible to spilled drinks, water etc. and shorting out. The amp is MUCH cheaper than the head unit.

Hope this helps.

Lextek.
Old 06-23-01, 10:54 AM
spinedoc
Rookie

Default !!!

lextek thank you !!! I actually found the problem earlier today before I read your post, but you are right on the money. I found a small puddle of water around the amp, sigh. I was able to salvage 2 low lead outputs from the wiring around the amps, and spliced RCA cables into this. Purchased a 75 X 4 Alpine amp which will be going in Monday. The only hard part is the mounting, as I dont feel confident in mounting in this same soaked spot. I will try the trunk somewhere.

By the way the stock amp is $400 at the dealer, and I believe it is a 15w X 4, what a rip!

Thanx