ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Replacement tires for stock ES330?

Old 05-28-05, 11:56 AM
ArcES330
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement tires for stock ES330?

Which replacement tire would you guys recommend for stock ES330 215/60-16? BFGoodrich Traction T/A V or Michelin Pilot XGT V4? Do I have to stay with V rate or could I get H rate tire?
Thanks!
Old 05-28-05, 12:44 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My feeling has always been, if Lexus, or any auto manufacturer, ships a new car with a certain speed rating, then I would definitely not go under that rating. I know that by saying this, some members will get up in arms, but I believe that the manufacturer knows more then them.

The rationalization is, "I don't drive my car at the speed rated speed". To this I say, BULL!
Old 05-28-05, 01:12 PM
ArcES330
Driver

Originally Posted by amf1932
My feeling has always been, if Lexus, or any auto manufacturer, ships a new car with a certain speed rating, then I would definitely not go under that rating. I know that by saying this, some members will get up in arms, but I believe that the manufacturer knows more then them.

The rationalization is, "I don't drive my car at the speed rated speed". To this I say, BULL!
BF Goodrich Traction T/A, there is no difference between H and V rate tires. They sell at the same price and same 60K miles warranty. Somehow Tirerack survey H tire has better rating than V tire. Maybe just stay with T/A V.
Old 05-28-05, 01:37 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

well i just replaced my set of h rated tires. I hated them from DAY 1. I just went with some z rated pirelli's and i'm so much more satisfied with them. Trust me! do not get below the speed rating recommended. People might show you web sites and "research" that shows that there is no difference. All you have to do is drive a car with low speed rated tires and you can feel it.
Old 05-28-05, 01:42 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ArcES330
BF Goodrich Traction T/A, there is no difference between H and V rate tires. They sell at the same price and same 60K miles warranty. Somehow Tirerack survey H tire has better rating than V tire. Maybe just stay with T/A V.
No difference? Look here: H-rated (130 mph) or V-rated (149 mph)!!!
Old 05-28-05, 02:49 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a look at Bridgestone Turanza LSZ tires. Over at the GS forum, a very high mileage member (over 300K in his GS) swears that they're the quietest tires he's used.

As for the H v. V controversy, my old 1980 Volvo 240GT, with a 120HP engine, came stock with V rated Pirellis. That brick couldn't hit 100. Do you think that the manufacturer's recommendation was based on facts or image?
Old 05-28-05, 03:33 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

As for the H v. V controversy, my old 1980 Volvo 240GT, with a 120HP engine, came stock with V rated Pirellis. That brick couldn't hit 100. Do you think that the manufacturer's recommendation was based on facts or image?
Isn't there the possibility that speed ratings were lower 25 years ago??
Old 05-28-05, 04:19 PM
ArcES330
Driver

H vs V rated tire is a marketing scheme. Some of the OE tires for BMW are H rated tires. Luxury car makers don't want to put cheaped S or T tires on them so they put V rated tires to show their sporty style.
Tire maunfacturer's selling their H and V tires almost at the same price or maybe a just couple bucks difference between them.

Last edited by ArcES330; 05-28-05 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-28-05, 05:31 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

The car was set up for a V rated tire. Lexus designed it that way for a reason...if they thought they could put a better performing H rated tire on for a cheaper price, why wouldn't they have? After all, as a business, they would like to cut costs while still offering the best mix of safety & performance. Which is why it came not with Z rated tires nor with H rated tires. Now, your point is taken...if the car is driven very delicately, H rated tires would have no problem. However, emergency handling will occur, and those stiffer sidewalls that the car was designed for will perhaps come in handy when a quick manuever is required. The V's will help keep the car better balanced...in the end, you have to think of it as "extra insurance". H's are a choice we make when we have to pick between cheaper tires and better tires. So he could be okay on the H's...but considering the investment he has on this Lexus and the people inside....more dollars on V rated tires might not be used even 99% of the time...it's that dang one percent that can change our lives.
Another note...if the car is still under warranty, changing to H's might invalidate it some how...if you go that way, check and make sure.....
Old 05-28-05, 08:12 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ArcES330
Which replacement tire would you guys recommend for stock ES330 215/60-16? BFGoodrich Traction T/A V or Michelin Pilot XGT V4? Do I have to stay with V rate or could I get H rate tire?
Thanks!
Good things have been said about the BFG. Having said that, I would give serious consideration to:

Falken Ziex ZE-512 (60,000 mile tread life)

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_512.htm

Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread (only T speed rated however), but fantastic bad weather performance & 80,000 mile tread life!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

http://www.toyocanada.com/products/ProxesTPT.html V speed rated & 60,000 mile tread life!

Good Luck!
Old 05-29-05, 01:25 AM
miltonlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Speed rating

I too would stick with the speed rating as the original equipment.

It all boils down to what you are after. The higher the speed rating means how well it can sustain higher temperatures, but in what you might tell is the driving characteristics...

Check this link out...
http://www.tiresafety.com/size_class....htm#srcharact

If you think an H rated is fine but still have doubts, try to buy from a place with a 30 day ride guarantee. If you don't like it, swap it for the V.

I really would not go from a V to T rated tire.
Old 05-29-05, 07:44 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by miltonlin
I too would stick with the speed rating as the original equipment.

It all boils down to what you are after. The higher the speed rating means how well it can sustain higher temperatures, but in what you might tell is the driving characteristics...

Check this link out...
http://www.tiresafety.com/size_class....htm#srcharact

If you think an H rated is fine but still have doubts, try to buy from a place with a 30 day ride guarantee. If you don't like it, swap it for the V.

I really would not go from a V to T rated tire.
Thanks for that link.........It says it all.
Old 05-29-05, 11:04 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

It's too bad, I can get the Triple Tread for my 01 ES (205 60 16) in an H speed rating. Bummer it's only available in a T speed for your car.
Old 06-03-05, 02:57 AM
iammikey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Tires

I replaced the tires on my ES330 last year. I purchased 2 sets, Michelin Pilot XGT V4 in stock size, and Goodyear Comfortreds in 17" with new wheels (My car sits a little higher). The Michelins are okay, but the Goodyears give an awesome ride. I would describe the Goodyears as soft, quiet, and very comfortable. I know the speed rating isn't as mfg recommends on the Goodyears, but I was willing to sacrifice the speed rating and response for the ride.

Since the Comfortreds are 17", my car feels like the responsiveness hasn't changed and corners like it does with the 16" wheels.
Old 06-03-05, 04:58 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by iammikey
I replaced the tires on my ES330 last year. I purchased 2 sets, Michelin Pilot XGT V4 in stock size, and Goodyear Comfortreds in 17" with new wheels (My car sits a little higher). The Michelins are okay, but the Goodyears give an awesome ride. I would describe the Goodyears as soft, quiet, and very comfortable. I know the speed rating isn't as mfg recommends on the Goodyears, but I was willing to sacrifice the speed rating and response for the ride.

Since the Comfortreds are 17", my car feels like the responsiveness hasn't changed and corners like it does with the 16" wheels.
The GY Assurance Triple Treads would have been a better choice over the Comfortreads (Comfortreads are decent, but not nearly as good as the Triple Treads) IMO, but I am not 100% sure if they are available in the size you need.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement tires for stock ES330?