How To: Remove Console/Ash Tray

Old 12-08-04, 07:54 PM   #1
a13n0rma1
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Default How To: Remove Console/Ash Tray

How to remove your console:

[ 97-01? model years ]

Just like removing the stereo face, remove the clipped-in strip below the A/C controls, set it aside.

Then, using the same tool you'd use to pry off that strip [ something long, thin, and flat ] pry up on the edges of the console. Mine popped right up with a little force.

Then it should pull right over the shift **** and give you a CLEAN way to take off the button cover for the gear shift over-ride.

Then notice there are two screws holding down the ash tray. Voila!

I can supply pictures later on if anyone feels the need, not any more complicated than removing the stereo however.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
a13n0rma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-04, 09:08 PM   #2
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to lexusk8 Send a message via Yahoo to lexusk8

Nice clearly written procedure on the ashtray removal. Pictures will certainly be helpful here.

If you don't mind, I will add your how-to thread link to the ES300 DIY page (sticky at the top)
Old 12-11-04, 01:21 PM   #3
a13n0rma1
Rookie

Ok, the pictures:

First one's attached, this is how you pry up the mid console panel around the gear shift.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-04, 01:24 PM   #4
a13n0rma1
Rookie

After you pull up that little bit, there is one clip in each one of the corners, and the two closer to the AC controls have to be unclipped, then pull the panel towards the trunk of the car to get it out.

This picture shows the back, so you guys understand what I mean on the clips and pulling.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-04, 01:27 PM   #5
a13n0rma1
Rookie

And here's how you get to that shifter lock over-ride button:

Pry at the cover on the bottom part of it [ there's a small area for a prying tool, I used the can opener tool of a swiss army knife ]

Just like this:
Attached Images

Old 12-11-04, 01:33 PM   #6
a13n0rma1
Rookie

Under the cover, there's a white button. Press that WITH THE PARKING BRAKE ON to change the location of the gear shift.

Very useful for any AC/Stereo unit work, and is mentioned in the aftermarket headunit guide also on this forum somewhere.

Oh, and then you take off that strip underneath the AC unit by prying at either side of it [ like with the middle console panel earlier ] then it should unclip and come off.

I'm not sure if you need to take off that strip, but it's better to be safe. And here's the picture showing the screw locations for the ash tray. They're below it and the top clips off.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-04, 01:35 PM   #7
a13n0rma1
Rookie

After you unscrew those two screws, you should be able to simply open the tray, and use the inside of it to pull it towards you and it ought to slide right off.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with it, but sooner or later I'm mounting something cool there.
Old 12-11-04, 09:47 PM   #8
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to lexusk8 Send a message via Yahoo to lexusk8

I think these pictures clearly show how Lexus hides clips and screws so well underneath the trim parts, unlike most other car manufacturers. Excellent job explaining the instructions with the pics
Old 07-01-07, 03:10 PM   #9
zudo
Driver School Candidate

This is awesome, thanks!

I got a question though, is it possible to pull out the middle arm rest, entirely, its really dirty down there and I can only clean so much with a vacuum and a hand...
zudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 03:14 PM   #10
a13n0rma1
Rookie

I believe I remember there being some screws between the seat and the middle console. It's been years since I first did this, and a good year and a half since I sold my ES.

I do remember coming to the conclusion that, for the sake of the seat leather, it would be in my best interest to remove the front seats first.
Old 07-01-07, 03:22 PM   #11
zudo
Driver School Candidate

scary response time... but thanks!
zudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 09:02 PM   #12
HYPERBOY
Lexus Test Driver

goot stufff did u know thats a "secret" compartment in the arm rest??? ill take a pic of it later....

TLN #666 - intern

"If You Build It They Will Come" The car that is
HYPERBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 06:12 AM   #13
LTDTeam
Driver School Candidate

Send a message via AIM to LTDTeam
Default secret compartment

Hey Hyperboy...

You got us all excited with the "secret compartment" and didn't post a pic. What's this you're talking about?

LTDTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 03:30 PM   #14
LTDTeam
Driver School Candidate

Send a message via AIM to LTDTeam

So I found the secret compartment and realized how filthy it was under the console. I decided to figure out how to take the console off, and it's super simple!

There's 2 bolts you can remove from the inside of the console. Grab your wrachet and take those off (I just kept the bolts in the console so they don't get lost!). The trim on the console is held together with the trim from the gear shifter, so just wiggle the console back and forth to loosen it from its position. You'll be able to lift it off from there, but remember that there's two bundles of wires connected (I imagine this will vary by year, mine has a car phone jack and a AC adapter). Unclip those and voila, the whole thing comes off and will open a whole new world of crumbs, dust, loose change and other goodies you can clean up (hopefully your previous owner wasn't a smoker like mine was...yuck!).

Hope this helps!

CAUTION: This will probably inspire you to take the seats off completely and clean everything in the front of the car, so be prepared for a few extra hours of cleaning! :-)
Old 10-10-12, 05:56 PM   #15
buehlar
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by a13n0rma1 View Post
How to remove your console:

[ 97-01? model years ]

Just like removing the stereo face, remove the clipped-in strip below the A/C controls, set it aside.
Hi, great description but I'm stumped about how to remove that clipped-in strip. do you force it down, or toward back of car? I tried to pry the stereo face too but it's holding so well I'm afraid to break it.
buehlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 05:56 PM