ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Check Engine and TRAC OFF Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-04, 08:57 PM
Brucelex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Check Engine and TRAC OFF Lights

I have a 1999 ES300 with 104,000 miles and the "Check Engine" and "TRAC OFF" lights came on while driving on highway. My search on the web doesn't give me any "straight" answers on what causes these lights to come on. I know that I should have the "code(s)" read by either Autozone or the dealer, but knowing the code doesn't help me unless I know what the code indicates. I've read that it could be as simple as a "gas cap tightening" problem or Oxygen sensors. People have had the Oxygen sensors replaced for almost $400 only to have the lights come back on a week later. Can these two lights mean different problems in two different ES300s? Anyone have this problem and get it fixed correctly once and for all? Would appreciate insight on (1) what the problem is; and (2) how much I should expect to pay if fixed at the dealer in Northern NJ.

Thanks.

Bruce
Old 11-28-04, 09:22 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

check your engine oil, if low, add...then look for a leak.

if no leak, check for sludge.

as for the trac off light,that signifies a tranny issue...
Old 11-29-04, 05:26 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Bruce, I strongly recommend you to take your car to Autozone or similar to have the error codes scanned. They SHOULD be able to tell you what those error codes are, and what they mean (if possible). Besides going to the dealership, it's the only way to find out why your check engine and TRAC OFF lights have turned on.

FYI, you can find out the meaning of error codes in your Lexus by going to this link.
Old 11-29-04, 05:14 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by ArmyofOne
check your engine oil, if low, add...then look for a leak.

if no leak, check for sludge.

as for the trac off light,that signifies a tranny issue...
Not quite Josh.

There are well over 100 error codes and combination of codes that will set off the CEL (check engine light) and TRAC light together. When they are both on, it indicates that the car has gone into safety mode.

You won't know anything until the code(s) are read. Get them read for free at Autozone and post them here. We can better help you if you have some clue as to what is triggering the CEL and TRAC in the first place. I have a whole listing of the codes and what can be done for each. You can even get a listing of just the codes at: www.troublecoes.net/Lexus (same one lexusk8 posted).

Bruce, you are correct in that it could be as simple are tightening the gas cap or replacing the O2 sensor. Again you won't know until you know the codes. Keep in mind that there are 2 Air/Fuel sensors and 1 O2 sensor. If one goes, then the other one(s) may not be far behind, this may explain alot of the replace one and the CEL comes back in a few weeks. The O2 sensor doesn't usually set off the CEL and the TRAC together. I am guessing it may be the evaporative canister, but you won't know until we know the codes. As for the price of replacing the O2 sensor(s), yes it is expensive if you go through the stealership. It is a fraction of the cost if you do it yourself.

Post up again, when you get them.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 11-29-04 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-30-04, 08:06 PM
Brucelex
Driver School Candidate

Steviej,

Took the car to the dealer. They told me the code was PO220 (don't know if I entered it correctly here, but that's what the service guy said). I looked for this code on the troublecodes.net/lexus website, but I couldn't find it.

The dealer told me that the front catalytic converter was bad. He said that in his experience, when the front catalytic converter has to be replaced, the rear one has to be replaced as well. He also said that the O2 sensors are probably seized and that I most likely will need all three of them replaced (I thought there were only two O2 sensors).

The total cost for getting this done at the dealer is $2,021 (cat. converters/center pipe); $644 (O2 sensors - only if I need them); and $644 (labor) for a total of $3,309.

Problem is, I don't trust this guy and I don't trust the dealership. I'm gonna take it to Autozone to see if the code matches up with what they told me. Does this sound right? I know the dealers are ridiculously high, but even taking that into account, I still feel like it's WAY too high. Any thoughts?

Bruce
Old 11-30-04, 08:31 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Bruce, the P0220 error code indicates a "Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit Malfunction".

Here is the full list of OBD-II error codes: http://www.obdii.com/codes.html

Catalytic converter work is very expensive and labor-intensive, so I'm not too surprised to see the kind of prices the dealership has given to you. That being said, you may not find much luck going to other dealerships, but I'd still advise shopping around and getting a 2nd opinion on what critical work needs to be done.
Old 11-30-04, 08:49 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally posted by steviej
Not quite Josh.

There are well over 100 error codes and combination of codes that will set off the CEL (check engine light) and TRAC light together. When they are both on, it indicates that the car has gone into safety mode.

You won't know anything until the code(s) are read. Get them read for free at Autozone and post them here. We can better help you if you have some clue as to what is triggering the CEL and TRAC in the first place. I have a whole listing of the codes and what can be done for each. You can even get a listing of just the codes at: www.troublecoes.net/Lexus (same one lexusk8 posted).

Bruce, you are correct in that it could be as simple are tightening the gas cap or replacing the O2 sensor. Again you won't know until you know the codes. Keep in mind that there are 2 Air/Fuel sensors and 1 O2 sensor. If one goes, then the other one(s) may not be far behind, this may explain alot of the replace one and the CEL comes back in a few weeks. The O2 sensor doesn't usually set off the CEL and the TRAC together. I am guessing it may be the evaporative canister, but you won't know until we know the codes. As for the price of replacing the O2 sensor(s), yes it is expensive if you go through the stealership. It is a fraction of the cost if you do it yourself.

Post up again, when you get them.

steviej
thanks for setting me straight Steviej, i meant to put an "i think" in that first post. i didnt knwo that both lights meant saftey mode...learn something new everyday.
Old 12-01-04, 07:56 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brad, something doesn't make sense. Why would the stealership want to replace 2 cats and 2 O2 sensors if the code is for a throttle position sensor.

I have checked my 2002 manual thoroughly and there is no code P0220 listed. The list that lexusk8 posted via the link is not a complete list either. There are many manufacturer controlled codes that do not appear on either the website I posted or the lexusk8's website. P0220 isn't listed under the manufacturer controlled codes either.

However, I do agree with lexusk8, get a second opinion. Go to a Toyota shop since the cats, the O2 sensors and the TP sensor are all the same.

Go to Autozone with pen and paper and copy done all the codes they come up with. Have them clear the codes and see if the same ones come back.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 12-02-04 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-02-04, 05:53 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

I agree with steviej, something doesn't add up. All good suggestions, especially the one about getting a second opinion. Please keep us updated.