Strange noise with my ES 300

Old 04-26-01, 09:15 PM   #1
joker
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Send a message via AIM to joker
Exclamation

I have a '92 Lexus ES300.

I recently noticed a strange fast rattling noise the car makes while im accelerating and the car is moving. The noise doesn't surface if the car is in park and I just rev the engine.

When I gas forward, it starts rattling. It sounds like it's coming from the right side, but recently i've started hearing it from the like the middle and left side as well (maybe?).

If I apply really really easy pressure on the gas pedal, and accelerate really slowly, the sound isn't made or hardly heard. At high speeds (40+) I don't think I hear the sound.

Anyway, any input on this would be greatly appreciated from the clubLexus crew.

Thanks,
joker
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-01, 09:38 PM   #2
Brando
Driver

Question

I hear the same sound on the drivers side. It sounds like it might be brake related. But I dont know. It is pretty irritating. I hope maybe someone knows what it is.
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-01, 08:11 AM   #3
joker
Driver School Candidate

Hey Brando...

I don't think it's the breaks actually, because the sound isn't made when I apply the break.

Also, I did some more studying on the noise this morning, and it turns out that the noise also starts to surface now when the car is in park and I push the gas pedal.

Around 1800rpm I start to hear the fast rattling noise then it disappears around 2100 I believe.

I was at a service shop, and I asked them about it, even though they didn't listen to the noise, the guy diagnosed it as something not right with the "rocker arms" in the engine.

-joker
Old 04-29-01, 09:45 PM   #4
ES3000
Driver School Candidate

My friend has a 93 es and his makes that sound as well. It has something to do with the a/c unit I think. I will ask him and let yall know. I have a 97 es but mine dose not make that noise. Its wierd?
ES3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-01, 07:19 AM   #5
Brando
Driver

The noise in my 93 ES 300 is a rattling noise thats noticable just at slow speeds. It sounds as if it is coming from something tumbling down by the wheel. I will try the gas pedal in park and let you know if I hear it still.
Old 04-30-01, 09:03 AM   #6
joker
Driver School Candidate

ES300 -
I don't think it has anything to do with the A/C unit. The A/C unit makes a sound like a refrigerator only when it's on, and I don't think it would conflict with the acceleration of the gas and/or making the strange fast rattling sound.

It sounds like it's coming from like somewhere around the wheels possibly and underneath the engine or inside the engine somewhere?

Brando - yeah the sound is also for me only at slow speeds. Like I said around 1800 rpm to 2100 rpm. I'm gonna see if I can make a digital recording of it, if I do, i'll post it.

-joker

"Push a Lex to my death."
Old 05-02-01, 02:02 PM   #7
Brando
Driver

Joker,

I asked my Dad (a mechanic) about the noise I've been hearing and he thinks it is either the strut mount is worn and loose or a rubber bushing off of the rack and pinion mount. I dont know. That might be it. I just need to find time to check it out. I will let you know what i find.
Old 05-06-01, 10:58 AM   #8
lextek
Driver

Default es rattle noise

If driving and hear rattle noise, it is almost certain that it is the strut mounts. If car is not moving and hear a rattle noise could possible be valves out of adjustment, happens on the rear bank mainly. No rocker arms on these cars.
lextek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-01, 03:37 PM   #9
Brando
Driver

Lightbulb

How do you check the strut mounts? Are they easy to fix? I think that is my problem. It is only the one on the driver's side. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-26-01, 11:08 PM   #10
ramsee1
Pole Position

Send a message via AIM to ramsee1
Talking thought i was the only one

I have the same problem. A sort of rattling noise when driving at low speeds. I used to work at a Midas shop and I'm going to bring it there during this coming week. I will let everyone know next week if it is the strut tower.
ramsee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-01, 06:23 AM   #11
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Sounds engine related

Quote:
Originally posted by joker
Hey Brando...

I don't think it's the breaks actually, because the sound isn't made when I apply the break.

Also, I did some more studying on the noise this morning, and it turns out that the noise also starts to surface now when the car is in park and I push the gas pedal.

Around 1800rpm I start to hear the fast rattling noise then it disappears around 2100 I believe.

I was at a service shop, and I asked them about it, even though they didn't listen to the noise, the guy diagnosed it as something not right with the "rocker arms" in the engine.

-joker

If you hear the sound when not in gear and not moving it's probably not transmission or running gear. It's most probably engine-related.

Could be lifters/rocker arms; could be any number of things, but noises in the engine compartment are never good. Have it checked by the dealer or a shop you can depend on. These things don't usually get better by themselves. They get worse and more expensive to fix.

2001 GS430 - Silver/Gray, ML, 17s
L-Tuned Shocks, Springs, Steering ECU
35% tint, direct-wired Passport 8500
RealMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-01, 12:13 PM   #12
ramsee1
Pole Position

Send a message via AIM to ramsee1
Talking more thoughts

My first instinct was that it sounded like a loose heat shield. Then I thought it would be something wheel related due to the fact that the noise seems to coincide with the speed or rotation of tires... Like the rattling was occuring in a cycle. I am not really sure, but wouldn't say the noise is coming from the engine area. This sound familiar to anyone?
ramsee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-01, 05:33 PM   #13
lextek
Driver

Assuming there are no rocks or nailheads stuck in your tires causing your noise, you probably have a CV axle boot torn and over time it has dried out. This causes a clicking type noise especially when turning, depending on how dry it has gotten. You can, with the help of a buddy, jack up the front of the car, put it in drive so the wheels are turning to inspect the noise. I have seen ES 300's do this many times on either side.
lextek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-01, 02:02 PM   #14
studaddy
Driver School Candidate

It may be your transmission. I had a similar noise coming from a 96es and was told that my transmission was worn and it had to be replaced. Good luck
studaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-01, 03:20 PM   #15
joker
Driver School Candidate

Default found the problem

Hey I found out the problem of it... It turned out that I had to get a new Flex wheel/Flywheel . The old one was worn down and was making the noise cuz it was grinding

changed they flywheel, sounds great

-joker
Old 09-13-01, 03:20 PM