ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Horsepower chips?

Old 10-13-04, 01:01 PM
TCwindom
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by nthach
it's just a 10 cent RatShack resistor. Don't get it, unless you love getting CELs all the time.
already get that because of my damn intake
Old 12-11-05, 07:22 PM
ramsee1
Pole Position

Guess nobody else wants to spin there wheels off the line then.
It makes sense in theory. The resistor is supposed to send a false temperature reading, altering the mixture to get more air. Anyone notice your cars got a bit more zip on a cooler day?
Old 12-11-05, 08:07 PM
redzeppelin
Pole Position

Exactly, basically it will make your car run like it does when the engine is cold, when you first start it up in the morning. But, the ecu renders it useless as soon as the fuel loop closes effectively "tuning" it out. I, unfortunately was suckered into buying one of those "resistors in a box" a about six months ago, and when I found out it doesn't work I tried to return it and got no response from the seller. trust us, stay away from crap like that.
Old 12-11-05, 08:55 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

They don't do anything.
In actuallity - even if they did as intended (despite closed loop) they would slow the cars even worse.
They work by adding microscopic amounts of fuel, Toyota engines (as most modern engines) run insanely rich to create peak power. Making them richer simply cuts power even more.

ramsee1 if you're looking for something to tune with, buy a good piggyback.
(FYI the earlier VZ v6's can. )
Old 12-12-05, 12:50 AM
Wassa786
Driver

Default they sorta work?

from what i've learned, they're something you can get at the local electric store, just a small resistor. i plugged one into my es 300.....i mean i can feel it a little, seems like .1 secs faster =P
but yea, it might screw w/ your emissions, havn't had any problems yet though....but yea, don't fall for any ebay ploys....i'll put actual performance upgrades soon though =P
(once I get the bread)
Old 12-12-05, 01:13 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

What it will do, is give you no more than 2-3% more fuel for the first 30-45 seconds from when the car is cranked. At which point the ECU's go from open loop to closed loop.
OBD-II ('94 1mz-fe & up) will instantly, and continually tune the system with a combination of short & long term fuel trims. Of which - ltft will carry over into open-loop mode. So when you go step on the gas - noting.
OBD-I will trim the change in closed loop, but it will not carry into open loop.
Again 2 important points about that stuff:
1) They don't do anything
2) When they do - they do the wrong thing making you slower.
If you just want more fuel, you can buy a pot & trim the coolant temp sensor to run cold all the time. You can normally get an extra 2-4% fuel that way. AKA: 1.12 - 2.24bhp on a 1mz-fe & that's if it can use the fuel in the first place (Which they can't!)
At best, you can argue a few tens, at most a couple percent better tip-in throttle responce.

This really should be busted & left to real piggybacks.
SMT's, E-manage, FTC, safc ect.
Old 12-12-05, 02:41 PM
ramsee1
Pole Position

Hey watch where you're pointing that sign mister!
All I wished to do was spark a bit of debate. I've seen a lot of people chime in and jump on the bandwagon when they don't have all the facts. For instance someone mentioned a resistor will tell your car it's not warmed up... the iat has nothing to do with that.
I understand about the open loop and all but why would the ecu ignore it afterwords? I was under the impression the resistor would tell the ecu to lean out the mixture, as I am aware how rich toyotas run.
Anyway! I am not taking sides and maybe it is pure crapola. I'd just like to see someone buy it, get on a dyno and then dismiss it.
Old 12-12-05, 02:51 PM
redzeppelin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ramsee1
Hey watch where you're pointing that sign mister!
All I wished to do was spark a bit of debate. I've seen a lot of people chime in and jump on the bandwagon when they don't have all the facts. For instance someone mentioned a resistor will tell your car it's not warmed up... the iat has nothing to do with that.
I understand about the open loop and all but why would the ecu ignore it afterwords? I was under the impression the resistor would tell the ecu to lean out the mixture, as I am aware how rich toyotas run.
Anyway! I am not taking sides and maybe it is pure crapola. I'd just like to see someone buy it, get on a dyno and then dismiss it.
Umm, I think you meant that sign means your dumb or something. In fact, I DID agree with you, look at the smilie list where the "I'm with stupid" smilie is and it says agreed right next to it. Again, I wasn't calling you stupid, sorry for the miscommunication.
Old 12-12-05, 04:03 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Ya, nobody's calling anyone anything, we're just discussing why they don't work, and what will.
I understand about the open loop and all but why would the ecu ignore it afterwords?
It doesn't ignore it, in OBD-II any long term fuel changes are kept at all times.

Read this PDF to see how generic Toyota OBD-II fuel systems work.
Old 12-12-05, 04:32 PM
ramsee1
Pole Position

I know I was saying that in good humor! I've been a boardmember on and off for about 4 years and I think everyone on here is pretty awesome. Thanks for the group hug
And thanks for the link
Old 12-13-05, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep it's just a CHEAP resistor. My cousin fell for it and used it. It was CrAp. All the car did was kinda sucked in a little more air and that was it. Then he said he started smelling this weird stink. I laughed at him and said "There's no stupid cheap speed chip."
Old 12-13-05, 03:02 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

How about the other chips in a box?
Old 12-13-05, 03:18 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusls430
How about the other chips in a box?
Hmm, not sure which one will give you more power....

Probably more here

And if you play them right, these might give you the most.
Old 12-13-05, 08:28 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

the chicken and the chips look good making me hungry dave lol. your avatar scares me somehow, something is not right with that face
Old 12-13-05, 09:40 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Hmm, not sure which one will give you more power....
Probably more here

I think this above because of the CARBS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Horsepower chips?