ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New Owner, First Car, Lots of Simple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-04, 07:19 PM
a13n0rma1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Owner, First Car, Lots of Simple Questions

I bought a light gray color 97 ES 300 a few weeks ago with my dad, for my first car. We got a great deal at $10.5K, and I love the car to death. That said, onto making it mine

1. I'm at roughly 65K miles, I don't know if the car was taken in for the 60K service or not. The dealership we bought it from was independent, and the dudes didn't seem that keen on the car either. I popped the hood and I can still see the lettering on the belts, and non of the "soft parts" like hoses and all seemed to be too old; but I want to know what to look for to see if the 60K service was done or not.

2. I hate the rims that came on the car. They're the stock 16s, and they handle smooth and all, but the dealership owner's wife had the car before me... it's scratched up and the rims are dinged in a couple places, so I was going for replacements. I'm aiming at 225/55-17 rims with a "dish" look if at all possible, but from what I've read this may cause rubbing. I'm also aiming to keep the stock overall tire size, so any tire recommendations in that area would help.

3. It was my birthday this past wednesday, and my sister bought me ultra-white xenon halogens from Best Buy. They're 100w bulbs, and I know my ES300 can't handle that without some wiring work, so what can the stock 97 ES300 handle in terms of bulbs? I'd like to know ASAP, as she wants to help me with the install... and she's hard to say no to. Heh.

4. I've had my computer built into a suitcase for quite some time in anticipation for this car, and was aiming for a car with an aux input, unfortunately I don't think they have such a thing on the ES300, so what do some of you guys do instead? I was consdering mounting an FM modulator in the front ash tray and RCA jacks in the back ash tray [ I keep the computer behind the driver's seat, wedged in with a couple of pillows ], any thoughts on this?

5. How hard is it going to be for me, a complete computer nerd, to replace every external light in my car with something a tad brighter? A lot of the people in my area drive without turning down their low beams in traffic, and we also have an awful deer problem. I was going to start with fogs and then do the high beams, and after that reverse lights and then everything else when I felt like it. But I want to know if it's worth the effort.

Sorry for the huge post, but I'm anxious and cannot wait another day to start babying my car.
Old 09-19-04, 07:54 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Answers to your Q's:

1. Call up your local Lexus dealership, ask for the service dept, and give them the VIN number of your car so they can go to their national database and check on existing service records done on your car.

2. As long as you follow the "plus sizing" concept (see related article here), you will have no problems with rubbing and maintain the overall tire diameter. Making any changes with the suspension system, however, will potentially heighten the risk of rubbing.

3. Your factory low beam bulbs have a wattage rating of 55W, so look for bulbs that have wattage ratings no higher than that value. Otherwise, you will risk a blowout to your wirings. BTW happy belated b-day!

4. No input on my end related to this matter, but if you post up the same question in the Lexus Audio/Video sub-forum, one of the good people might be better able to help you out.

5. Choosing to upgrade your lightings is a subjective decision and basically up to you and how you feel about it when driving at night or in precipitative conditions. The most common lighting upgrade done by the members here is the low beam, which your sister seems to have that covered. You can go ahead with the fogs if you feel the stock ones are not cutting it with you. Same thing with the high beams, esp. if you plan to use it driving in unlit places. I honestly don't see the need to upgrade the reverse lights.

For the future and if you have any other questions or issues, consider using the search engine embedded within this forum. This can be found at the top left of your screen on any page within CL (ClubLexus), and you have "Advanced Search" as your other option. It is a great tool and time-saver that some people tend to forget sometimes

Welcome to CL
Old 09-19-04, 08:26 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like Doug answered all your questions....

btw, welcome to the club!
Old 09-19-04, 09:58 PM
a13n0rma1
Rookie

Definitely had all my questions dealt with nicely. Whew!

3. Your factory low beam bulbs have a wattage rating of 55W, so look for bulbs that have wattage ratings no higher than that value. Otherwise, you will risk a blowout to your wirings. BTW happy belated b-day!
Where would I find info on what the ratings of the other lights were?

Or maybe where I can get an owner's manual in PDF form or something along those lines like a Hayne's Manual?

2. As long as you follow the "plus sizing" concept (see related article here), you will have no problems with rubbing and maintain the overall tire diameter. Making any changes with the suspension system, however, will potentially heighten the risk of rubbing.
The article basically says what I already somewhat understand, as long as I keep the overall tire size the same, I'm fine considering speedometer and other guage tuning, what I mean is how many sizes wider of a tire can I get without rubbing, sticking out, or handling like a pancake?
Old 09-20-04, 12:29 AM
Lexus007
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get 18x8.5 42offset rims...I'm running that on my 1998es300 it looks good and the dish is 2 1/2 wide.
Old 09-20-04, 12:35 AM
a13n0rma1
Rookie

Originally posted by Lexus007
get 18x8.5 42offset rims...I'm running that on my 1998es300 it looks good and the dish is 2 1/2 wide.
Arent's 18s gonna need me to lower the car to not get that boat type look?

If not, how's the ride quality there... relative to stock?

annnnd.. any pictures?
Old 09-20-04, 03:12 AM
Lexus007
Lead Lap

Originally posted by a13n0rma1
Arent's 18s gonna need me to lower the car to not get that boat type look?

If not, how's the ride quality there... relative to stock?

annnnd.. any pictures?
boat look?i dunno it looks ok to me.For now that is. I ain't dropping it until i get my kit, I need to see how much to go low with. Ride quality is a little different then stock, It will be good but not as smooth riding as stock since you will be running more rim and less tire.

Old 09-20-04, 03:12 AM
juan01
Pole Position

What kind of other lights are you looking for? Try searching for Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, they give off a nice white light... and are the same wattage as stock bulbs.

As for getting 18's, you will lose stock ride quality.... even moreso if you lower the car, which imo you will need to do if you get 18's.
Old 09-20-04, 03:14 AM
juan01
Pole Position

You need a drop Jason! Your ride will be sickkkk once you drop it.

btw, what does that sticker on your windshield mean?
Old 09-20-04, 03:15 AM
Lexus007
Lead Lap

Originally posted by juan01
What kind of other lights are you looking for? Try searching for Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, they give off a nice white light... and are the same wattage as stock bulbs.

As for getting 18's, you will lose stock ride quality.... even moreso if you lower the car, which imo you will need to do if you get 18's.
Just run 18's they look good...Juan u have 18's too right?
Old 09-20-04, 03:18 AM
Lexus007
Lead Lap

It was a crew sticker "Pimplux" but i decided to scrap it off since i got punished ..LOL(don't ask me why) looks cleaner anyways... The japanese characters mean "Guys Pimping women/girls and them selling their bodies and crap"
Old 09-20-04, 03:20 AM
Lexus007
Lead Lap

Btw I'm goping to get my Wisekit first then go from there.I don't wanna drop it too low and then when i get the kit i will get stuck on speed bumps..
Old 09-20-04, 03:20 AM
juan01
Pole Position

yep, it seems like he wants something close to stock ride quality, so I don't think 18's will work out for him...

pimplux.....sweet
Old 09-20-04, 03:21 AM
Lexus007
Lead Lap

yep, it seems like he wants something close to stock ride quality, so I don't think 18's will work out for him...

pimplux.....sweet
yeah they cool but my ride will be SWEET once i get the wisesports kit and be the 1st in hawaii to have it
Old 09-20-04, 10:08 AM
njes300
Pole Position

Congrats and welcome. there are alot of great members here to help you.