ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Question..Cut eibach springs with tokico blues struts

Old 08-29-04, 08:46 PM
Lexus007
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question..Cut eibach springs with tokico blues struts

I have a friend with a 1st gen es300 "VCV10" and she is thinking about cutting her Eibach springs and running the Tokico blue struts. Your thoughts please...
Old 09-03-04, 07:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Bad idea. It will make the tokico's go bad prematurely.
Old 09-12-04, 01:33 AM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with Intrax springs for a lower ride if that's what she's looking for.... The rear drop is nice but maybe she can cut one coil in the front for an even drop.
Old 09-12-04, 09:08 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

cutting and heating are very bad ideas.
Old 09-12-04, 06:43 PM
juan01
Pole Position

I agree... but if you really wanna go for the look like gato did, you have too.
Old 09-12-04, 08:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

If you want the look, go with coilovers. If you want to sacrifce ride comfort and handling dynamic of your ES, cut the coil.
Old 09-17-04, 09:13 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

YEAH, COILOVERS if you can drop 1300 for jic or tein....other than that nobody was able to tell me how far down a coilover set will take you.....i.e...skunk2, ground control ect....

I mean come on, I even went as far as getting air struts and that didn't even get me the look I was after

Flipside909 is right you can cut a coil like I did but in the end I'am sacrificing a ride comfort!!!

My question is...by getting tokiko or whatever SHORTER strut..does a shorter strut actually lower the car even more???? cause if thets the case I'll get shorter struts and go back to my H&Rs

Gato
Old 09-17-04, 08:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by el gato

My question is...by getting tokiko or whatever SHORTER strut..does a shorter strut actually lower the car even more???? cause if thets the case I'll get shorter struts and go back to my H&Rs

Gato
There's no such thing as a shorter strut. The Tokicos have the same travel as stock struts and the same size. Just different fluid for dampening. I was shown this in person by my contact at Tokico HQ in Rancho Dominguez (SoCal). Struts don't lower cars...it's the springs that do.
Old 09-18-04, 08:53 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

flipside909,....so there is a spring measured height limit on these cars right? what I mean is; you can only go so short ( probably 1.7 front) otherwise the strut will not hold the spring like it's suppose to! right!(thats my problem...I'm looking for coilovers but want to know for sure the height adjustment!! can I SLAMMM!!!!?? and still ride?

if the only way to go as low as I have it now.. is coilover ...but the coilovers that have the builtin strut?????
Thanks for you help
GATO
Old 09-18-04, 09:30 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

flipside909,....so there is a spring measured height limit on these cars right? what I mean is; you can only go so short ( probably 1.7 front) otherwise the strut will not hold the spring like it's suppose to! right!(thats my problem...I'm looking for coilovers but want to know for sure the height adjustment!! can I SLAMMM!!!!?? and still ride?

if the only way to go as low as I have it now.. is coilover ...but the coilovers that have the builtin strut?????
Thanks for you help
GATO
Hey Gato,

Yeah the coilovers have their own servicable shocks. The only way to go with a slammed look is to definitely go with coilovers since you can slam it to where the wheels tuck or raise it as high as stock. Good luck.
Old 09-18-04, 08:13 PM
Lexus007
Lead Lap

Originally posted by flipside909
Hey Gato,

Yeah the coilovers have their own servicable shocks. The only way to go with a slammed look is to definitely go with coilovers since you can slam it to where the wheels tuck or raise it as high as stock. Good luck.
I dunno about what my friend gonna do but I'm getting my JIC coilovers after my kit.
Old 09-19-04, 04:48 AM
juan01
Pole Position

YEAH, COILOVERS if you can drop 1300 for jic or tein....other than that nobody was able to tell me how far down a coilover set will take you.....i.e...skunk2, ground control ect....

I mean come on, I even went as far as getting air struts and that didn't even get me the look I was after

Flipside909 is right you can cut a coil like I did but in the end I'am sacrificing a ride comfort!!!

Gato
How bad is your ride Gato?
Old 09-20-04, 04:10 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

it's not that it's horrible Juan01...it's that I feel in my mind that its the ghetto way of tunning my ride, and I'm consciously telling my self that I need a quality suspension!!! ( my old H&Rs where quality )

The brake kit is gonna have to wait cause now I'm in search of a nice suspension set up
Gato
Old 09-20-04, 08:37 PM
lexsterES
Pole Position

it's not that it's horrible Juan01...it's that I feel in my mind that its the ghetto way of tunning my ride, and I'm consciously telling my self that I need a quality suspension!!! ( my old H&Rs where quality )

The brake kit is gonna have to wait cause now I'm in search of a nice suspension set up
Gato
Hey el gato, I went in on Toyotanation’s group buy for d2 coilovers. I am waiting on the shipment and think it'll be a good month before I even seen them but I will let you know about the ride height adjustments once I have the info. I am very anxious myself to see what kind of drop I will have.
But as far as what you are looking for I think coilovers are the way to go all the way!
Old 09-20-04, 08:39 PM
juan01
Pole Position

I remember that GB... Didn't have that kind of $$ to dish out at the time, so I had to pass.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question..Cut eibach springs with tokico blues struts