ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1992 ES 300 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-04, 07:43 PM
maneeshs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 ES 300 Issues

Hi All:

I would appreciate it if I can get some advice. I just graduated from college and as a graduation gift my dad gave me his 92 Lexus ES 300 (and leased himself an 04 ES 330). He spent a decent amount of money getting the exterior buffed, getting new tires, new exhaust, transmission serviced, new rotors and pads, new radiator, and getting the timing belt replaced. He pretty much did everything he could to ensure that he was giving his son a safe, reliable car as I start out on my own. The car has 150,800 miles on it and we bought it new on March 92. Between my dad and I we know the whole history of the car. It has been well maintained, but not spectacularly maintained. I am not mechanically inclined and am too afraid to maintain and repair the car myself. I have had the car for a month and things have been great, no major problems ... until now.

1.) My driver's side power window died. The mechanic charged me $100 to diagnose that the motor is the culprit. To get a remanufactured motor is $85.99 from Napa and $170 to install. If I want to get the motor and regulator from the Lexus dealer it costs $736 plus labor. The mechanic said the regualtor looks OK, but it would be best to replace the regulator along with the motor. NAPA does not sell the regulator. So getting this window fixed is gonna cost me about $400 in the low end. Anyone know where I can get a motor/regulator for a more reasonable price? The mechanic charges $68/hour here in Austin,TX. Do these labor rates and costs seem reasonable? If anyone is in Austin, can you recommend a mechanic?

I am not happy about spending so much on a Lexus part but am willing to pay it, if the car is gonna last .. which brings me to my next concern.

2.) Whenever I start the car in the morning (and only on the first start of the day), a cloud of white smoke comes out of my exhaust pipe. No more smoke comes out during the day. Also, the first few minutes I drive the car in the morning, the car is hesistant when I push the accelerator. It is fine the rest of the day. Are these minor annoyances or signs of big trouble ahead?

The car is only worth about $4K and I can afford to get another car, but I would like to get a couple more years out of this one so I can save some cash while I am single and have no real commitments. Before I get this power window fixed, I am trying to decide if putting $400 into the car is going to be worth it. Does the white smoke mean I am gonna have to put another $1K or more into the car soon? If so, I can easily live with a used civic and sell the lexus now. The transmission was replaced at 75K miles and it is shifting hard. I think it has a couple years left in it though. If you were in my position would keep this car or am I asking for trouble by keeping a 12 year old car?

Thanks,

Maneesh
Old 08-03-04, 07:59 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Re: 1992 ES 300 Issues

Hi Maneesh, congrats on your acquisition!

1) You may wanna try the local junkyards or places like Carson Toyota/Lexus Parts (ask for Bobby 800-90-TOYOTA). Labor rate in TX sounds very reasonable. The average cost here in CA stems from $70 to 80+/hr depending on where you go.

2) Sounds like your valve stem seals are worn out and need replacement. But how bad is the smoke? Is it a big cloud or what. Also, does this only happen at certain temps cold or warm ambient air in the morning?

Sounds like some of your concerns are minor and from just regular wear and tear of the vehicle. If you plan to keep the vehicle for a long time, you should definitely look into using that money to invest into the car. It will last you for a very long time. But if you just want it to get you to and from until you find something you really want, just go with the bare minimums until you are ready to get rid of it.

For your tranny, you may wanna do a full tranny fluid power flush. This usually solves alot of tranny shifting related issues in good cases that is.

Good Luck & Welcome to CL.

Last edited by flipside909; 08-03-04 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-03-04, 08:53 PM
TCwindom
Pole Position

as far as the sluggishness starting off... it's just a wear thing... when the engine is cold it doesn't run as smooth... but as soon as it warms up it's good.

Just take it easy until the engine warms up and you're all good

I also heard the same thing about my driver side window... but changed the switch and it's perfectly fine.

The passenger one decided to do the same... i took the switch out and cleaned the contacts... and it works just fine as well

may not be the case with you, but it's worth a try
Old 08-04-04, 10:47 AM
spray004
Driver School Candidate

I wouldnt worry about the smoke. White smoke is a sign of moisture being burned. Water is one of the biproducts of an engine, especially when it is first cranked up. Both of my cars (Accord and F150) do it if they have been sitting over night. If you had blue smoke, that would be a sign of oil being burnt. If the smoke was a constant thing, that would mean you have water being introduced into the cylinders which means either blown head gasket, cracked head, etc...

As far as parts being expensive, thats what you get from a dealership. I priced a set of fuel injectors for my truck this week. $900+ new at the dealership, and $240 rebuilt from a company out of Florida. Always shop around for part prices if you do the work yourself. Usually a reputable repair shop gets good parts and pricing for them as well. My sister saved $500 on her 94 ES300 by getting the work done at Goodyear vs. Lexus.
Old 08-06-04, 02:37 PM
carcass66
Driver School Candidate

I have a working driver side power window motor that came from my 1992 Es300. I'll sell cheap..make me an offer.
Old 10-15-04, 08:59 AM
richma7175
Driver School Candidate

Maneesh,

Sounds like your getting taken for a ride. As far as the regulator goes I just got a new one at the dealership and it was $133. Only went to the dealer because no junk yards had it in my neighborhood

Just get the part and have someone else put it in unless your made of money and don't mind overpaying..