ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

My 1st oil change experience (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-04, 10:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally posted by lexusk8
Where exactly did you get this source of info?? I have never heard of this piece of info before
I heard this from a qualified Toyota specialized tech. You can agree or diagree with me on this and roll your eyes on it. I've seen many older Toyota engines with valve seal leakage from people switching from conventional to synthetic...regardless of "special" blends. It's called marketing ideas to get the average person to buy into products. As for the synthetic/conventional oil topic...this is a very age old topic . I'm one of those conventional types who highly believes in regular oil and filter changes will keep your engine running long regardless of synthetic or dino. If it makes you feel better that you spent an extra $2-5 bucks a quart, that's great for you. I've seen many Toyota engines go over 100, 200 and 300k on regular dino oil and have little or no excessive wear on internals. I'm like some on here, 3k is excessive but is a good way to keep your engine maintaned. I go on 5k intervals on my IS and have kept a 3-4k frequency on my Solara due to the dreaded 1MZ-FE sludge scare. You've probably never heard that piece before, but then again, i'm not here to argue with you as this is the first time you've ever changed your own oil on your car.

Congrats on your first ES oil change. I'm glad you didn't burn your arm or hands on the exhaust manifold.

Last edited by flipside909; 07-05-04 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-05-04, 11:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I have also read up that if a gasket leaks when using synthetic, it is perfectly OK to go back to dino oil. Oil drain plug gasket is cheap ($1 or less) and easy to replace
Obviously you have no idea about gasket leaks or even research on this topic a little more extensively. Try replacing your valve cover seals for the front and rear banks. You can read all you want but wait til you actually have to do the actually operation. It isn't a "$1 or less" procedure anymore.
Old 07-06-04, 05:49 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by flipside909
Obviously you have no idea about gasket leaks or even research on this topic a little more extensively. Try replacing your valve cover seals for the front and rear banks. You can read all you want but wait til you actually have to do the actually operation. It isn't a "$1 or less" procedure anymore.
Actually I have had experience before with a valve cover gasket leak from my previous '96 ES years ago. It was repaired by the dealership as part of the 90K service. Can't remember the cost of the repair, but I imagine it's a few hundred, so I am WELL aware it's not a cheap DIY job, sir

Also, I am WELL aware of the oil sludge problem with the 1st and 2nd-gen ES and RX engines, caused mainly by the owners' lack of care for oil changes, NOT by the quality/type of oil. Read the past threads here and here for more info.
Old 07-06-04, 07:07 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Flip, one more thing to add before the potential "jacking" of my thread (due on your part) :

If you think there's a reason why I shouldn't switch to synthetic oil regardless of mileage, please send a carefully structured PM to me (and include some corroboration such as valid URLs and pictures, instead of what you "heard"). As all of us have mentioned thus far, we are getting weary of your degrading comments and remarks in the ES forum which are not helping us feel more like a true community. Closed threads happen because of this, and I don't want to see that happen to my "oil change" thread, given how hard I have worked on the oil project by myself.

Thank you.
Old 07-06-04, 07:48 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

If you think there's a reason why I shouldn't switch to synthetic oil regardless of mileage, please send a carefully structured PM to me (and include some corroboration such as valid URLs and pictures, instead of what you "heard"). As all of us have mentioned thus far, we are getting weary of your degrading comments and remarks in the ES forum which are not helping us feel more like a true community. Closed threads happen because of this, and I don't want to see that happen to my "oil change" thread, given how hard I have worked on the oil project by myself.

Thank you.
To answer your question, i'd be happy to support my facts in comparison to your what you saw on the internet and read up on. This is what a discussion is for...to talk about the ES in general. If there wasn't any type of discussion to talk about, people will be mislead. Sorry if the truth hurts or you convey the things I say in a different way, but that's how difficult it is to set a tone in a discussion forum. It can be perceived in many ways. You can blame the English language structure for that. Many of you have the same percieved opinions on many things here in CL, but I do have a little more extensive knowledge of this platform than most people here. I commend you for working hard on your oil change project. But don't be scared of a little constructive criticism. If you cannot take that kind of criticism, then the topic will just be dull and saturated with fiction. We can discuss this alot further in PM. But because i'm at work, I cannot spend hours on this or on PM. I'm done with this thread. The spotlight is back on you now mr Lexusk8.
Old 07-07-04, 08:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

LexusK8: Please pardon me for butting in.....I don't usually get involved in service arguments but I'd like to make an important point here:

But first....congragulations on your baptism of oil change.

Synthetic oil does present a higher risk to the gaskets on older cars than petroleum oil does, for two reasons. First, it is thinner, especially when cold, and it tends to flow much more freely through small spaces than regular oil does. Second, it has different....and much more efficient....detergent additives than regular oil. So once the gaskets in older cars start to age a little, any cracks and imperfections in them will be nothing but paths for the oil to leak out, and the strong detergent material in the synthetic oil can actually help dissolve weak gasket material, making the holes and imperfections even bigger.....and clog up the oil filter with this dissolved material.

Also, the chances of a low-viscosity synthetic escaping around worn piston rings, valves, and valve seals is greater than with regular oil.

Proof of this is shown by the fact that the "high-mileage" oils marketed by companies like Castrol, Valvoline, Penzoil, etc.....are usually of a heavier viscosity (10W-40 or higher) so that the thicker oil helps seal up the cracks that thinner oils could run out of.

I
Old 07-07-04, 11:12 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

mmarshall, your comments are much appreciated, as they convey a sense of concern and scientific reason. I've heavily researched on the topic of motor oils before my oil change, and I came to the conclusion that synthetic should be OK for my 3-yr old car ('01 ES), especially when the weather has been warm to hot lately. I originally had planned on possibly going back to conventional oil only during the wintertime due to the colder temps, since synthetic has better benefits in warm weather. There are others on this board who have mentioned of using synthetic in their higher-mileage and older ES's, and reported no problems. And before the rear main seal fix in my previous '96 ES, I had strictly used 5W-30 conventional oil and never missed an oil change.

So the million dollar question is, am I taking a risk of putting synthetic into my high-mileage vehicle? I hardly think so. Is the "marketing" aspect from oils playing games with consumers? Possibly. Am I required to stick with one kind/quality of oil throughout the ownership of my car? Absolutely NOT.

It's sad that there's no true standard of oil selection today since there are so many variables..
Old 07-07-04, 07:04 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-Doug, use the 10W-30 synthetic all year round. It should not be a problem. If it is, switch back. No problem again.

-On a side note, I don't agree with your comment, "I originally had planned on possibly going back to conventional oil only during the wintertime due to the colder temps, since synthetic has better benefits in warm weather." Actually the synthetic is better in the colder temps. It will stay more viscous than conventional oil at lower temps. This will help cut down the friction created during cold start ups. Remeber how cold the last two winters were?

-I agree with mmarshall in that synthetic doesn't cause the leaks it just uncovers the bad spots in worn out gaskets. But, if one changes oil regularly and does not subject the gaskets to prolonged exposure to the acids in old aged oil, then the gaskets should not be dried and cracked (at least not as bad as one who is sluggish on changing oil).

For every person that changes to synthetic oil and gets leaks there is a person who changes to synthetic and doesn't leak.

steviej
Old 07-08-04, 06:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Actually, guys.....the whole issue can be wrapped up in a nutshell: No matter what kind of oil or filter you use, the single most important thing is to KEEP IT CHANGED. That is the best single insurance against viscosity loss, sludge and gelling, and over-contamination from acid, moisture, blow-by gases, dirt, and engine particles. Next to that, the best insurance is to run the engine regularly long enough to get it hot.....local stop-and go trips, especially at low temperatures or dusty conditions, is hard on the oil.

( By the way, guys, just for the record, I use regular Castrol GTX 5W-30 oil per Lexus recommendations...I've used Castrol products for years in a number of different cars and have never had any oil-related problems )
Old 07-08-04, 09:50 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by steviej
Actually the synthetic is better in the colder temps. It will stay more viscous than conventional oil at lower temps. This will help cut down the friction created during cold start ups.
It's funny you say that because in my owner's manual, it says to recommend not using synthetic in cold temps. Your reasoning, however, seems logical.
For every person that changes to synthetic oil and gets leaks there is a person who changes to synthetic and doesn't leak.
I hope to be in the latter category
Old 07-08-04, 07:15 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
Actually, guys.....the whole issue can be wrapped up in a nutshell: No matter what kind of oil or filter you use, the single most important thing is to KEEP IT CHANGED. That is the best single insurance against viscosity loss, sludge and gelling, and over-contamination from acid, moisture, blow-by gases, dirt, and engine particles. Next to that, the best insurance is to run the engine regularly long enough to get it hot.....local stop-and go trips, especially at low temperatures or dusty conditions, is hard on the oil.
that has got to be the best summation for the oil discussions I have read here and on LOC.
I am in total agreement, thank you.

steviej
Old 07-21-04, 08:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Here's one of the many legendary stories of Toyota ownership & longevity. Goes to show you don't need synthetic oil to have a long lasting running Toyota engine:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=126832

Old 07-21-04, 08:51 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Ryan, that's a great thread and story (I've followed up the thread for a while lately). Remember that we all choose our products for different legitimate reasons, whether it be synthetic oil, low-profile tires, HID kits, etc. There's certainly no argument within that regimen.
Old 07-21-04, 08:52 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Ryan, that's a great thread and story (I've followed up the thread for a while lately). Remember that we all choose our products for different legitimate reasons, whether it be synthetic oil, low-profile tires, HID kits, etc. There's certainly no argument within that regimen.
I concur.
Old 04-16-07, 05:17 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone please post a pic of the oil drain plug? thanks

Quick Reply: My 1st oil change experience (long)