ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2nd-gen ES climate control light problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-11, 06:41 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

ok but can they be fixed or need to get new ones?
Old 01-30-11, 06:54 PM
01ES300NYC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those buttons dont light up. there are no bulbs to replace... thats the way they are
Old 07-25-11, 10:40 AM
Juju2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio backlighting

After reading several of the threads here, I see I am an idiot to not do this before! My "98 LS400 lights went out on radio and shift column about a year ago. I found that the shift column light would come on if I just shifted to the "4" setting and back to "D" a few times. Now it's lighting up all the time. Fixed! Sort of...
I sent my radio off through my mom & pop dealership to have it "repaired" paying $300.00 for about 3 days of lit bulbs . My cigarette lighter has never worked and I wonder if it's related, althought the light in cigarette holder works Do you have any suggestions where can I take this radio to have the bulbs replaced other than my local dealer? Could a radio place do this? I certainly can get the correct bulbs afrer reading your posts, but don't have a clue who might do this for me. Thanks
Originally Posted by lexusk8
I finally got a chance today to replace the (2) burnt out bulbs in the A/C cluster (after many weeks of enduring this harsh and bitterly cold NE weather. Hehe, try working on your car outside in 20-deg temps) The new bulbs worked out, and I'm very pleased with the "just-like-new" look of the console face at nighttime I've attached the picture (sorry for the bluriness, I gotta get me a tripod to take better nighttime pictures). You should see the new lights on the defroster buttons and the 'A/C' and 'MODE' buttons.

FYI, the Lexus bulb part no. for the stereo-and-A/C cluster in any '97-'01 ES is 90010-03001 ($2.10 per bulb). It comes in a brown socket. The Lexus bulb part no. that lights up the LCD screens in the stereo-and-A/C cluster is 90010-03002 ($2.86 per bulb). It comes in a black socket.

This is a nice DIY repair project that anyone can do, and all you really need is a 10mm socket (w/ an extension), a small flathead, and a Philips. If you have a few burnt out bulbs in the center console of your '97-'01 ES, the steps (and pictures) in this thread should help you greatly.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask

Oh, thanks to Brian for suggesting it's the bulbs all along
Old 12-27-11, 07:50 PM
cdasilva
Driver School Candidate

I wanted to take the radio apart and replace a few bulbs that are burned out on my 97 ES300. Do you have any ideas where I could just walk in and buy the bulbs? By the way any pictures of the radio taken apart and how to remove the bulbs? I know I hear the bulbs may be sensitive to remove.
Old 02-21-12, 09:50 AM
DB97ES
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a 97 ES(love it !) But it has this problem. How much do you think a mechanic would charge to fix this issue?
Old 02-24-12, 07:53 PM
Vil3x
Driver School Candidate

I'm newbie in Lexus. Mine is 1996 es300, a lot of bulbs in radio and AC buttons are were already burnt out. I'm wondering if I take apart and disconnect the Radio and AC unit, would it be locked for security issue ? I haven't seen the security code in manual book, so will I only be able to take that code at dealership ?
Appreciate your help so much.
Old 03-11-12, 12:46 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

so i removed the climate control lights. i want to change it. not sure to a different colour or go LED. anyways does anyone know what is the number/type of bulb. i know its a twist n turn.
which one of these on the website is the one i would need .thanks
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...nstrument.html
Attached Thumbnails 2nd-gen ES climate control light problem-dscf0169.jpg   2nd-gen ES climate control light problem-dscf0170.jpg  
Old 03-11-12, 12:49 PM
imherenow
Racer

Originally Posted by Vil3x
I'm newbie in Lexus. Mine is 1996 es300, a lot of bulbs in radio and AC buttons are were already burnt out. I'm wondering if I take apart and disconnect the Radio and AC unit, would it be locked for security issue ? I haven't seen the security code in manual book, so will I only be able to take that code at dealership ?
Appreciate your help so much.
well as per the security issue i did see these two wires and i would assume they are for security. i did not remove them since i was working on the climate control . But i would assume one has to disconnect the battery before disconnecting those two wires.?? or else the car would go bonkers!!?!?

As per your question, NO just by disconnecting the A/C or radio power, the security would not be locked. Well i just disconnected it and nothing happen :P
Attached Thumbnails 2nd-gen ES climate control light problem-dscf0182.jpg  

Last edited by imherenow; 03-11-12 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-11-12, 01:10 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Should be these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170778517802...84.m1423.l2649
Old 03-12-12, 06:42 AM
imherenow
Racer

ok which one of these bulbs would be the right size: NEO3,4 or 5
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...NEO.htm#photos

hmm looks like NEO5 matches from the base of it. But thats just appearance

Last edited by imherenow; 03-12-12 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-12-12, 08:10 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't know. I posted the ones I saw were being used to convert over a JDM climate cluster from one of their websites... What you do is your call.
Old 11-16-12, 09:13 AM
McFerran
Driver School Candidate

I'm trying to change all of these lights to blue, not green. Do you know where I can get these bulbs in blue? and if not what size or number lights will fit that are blue? Thanks!
Old 01-18-13, 04:09 PM
67shelbynu
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I have this same issue in my '02 Es300. Does anyone know if there is another link to the radio/cd changer removal instructions? It would help me have a lot more confidence before I start this project. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-17-13, 07:45 AM
pdr
Driver School Candidate

I'm into the Climate Control on my 95 ES300. There are actually two set's of bulbs. 1st set are the screw on type, easily accessed by separating the front from the main body as described here. the light from these is routed to light the letters on the panel. There are actually 2 more smaller screw in type that are near the round **** control too.

But what caused me to go into the project was the blue display lighting of the LCD was only lit on the left side. Turns out there are three bulbs under the LCD that are soldered to the board. It's a little tougher to get to these and they are a solder connection, a little more scary. I don't want to ruin a working unit for the lack of a light. I'd like to replace with LED's for longer life and cooler temps. Anyone have any suggestions as to what LED's to use here? Is Voltage a consideration? I bought some 12v led's at Fry's for the screw on bulbs. Then I checked the voltage across the connection there and it read .15 volts, way less than I expected.

Anyone with experience with these?

Last edited by pdr; 02-17-13 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-15-14, 09:10 PM
fahad4ds
Driver School Candidate

same problem with me too.. the auto and off buttons dont light up.. thanks a lot for the detailed info.. can u please tell me how to remove the panel . i meant the first step..

Quick Reply: 2nd-gen ES climate control light problem