ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2nd-gen ES climate control light problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-08, 06:39 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, it can be done. the leds are soldered in, so a precise a temperature controlled soldering gun will be required. and the bulb choice is up to you. only thing i havent been able to find is what mcd the oem leds are so that i can get the exact rather than getting a different shade of green.
this is definitely a time consuming project.

Charley
Old 10-11-08, 11:31 PM
LW ES300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is this becoming such a big production? This thread is titled 2nd-gen ES climate control light problem. Different people here on CL say the lights/bulbs are soldered in. They are not soldered in on my stock 1996 ES300, they simply "unscrew" to remove. See my next post for a picture.

It's really easy to remove the console and in 5 minutes you can see for yourself how they're mounted/installed. Note: This is to Only to replace the bulbs for the controls of front/rear defrost, A/C & Circulate air, Mode, Fan speeds, Outside temp, and Off. This is NOT to fix or change the LCD screen

Last edited by LW ES300; 10-12-08 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-12-08, 01:43 PM
LW ES300
Driver

I didn't want to waste time trying to find replacements online so picked up 3 bulbs at Toyota for $10.95 each, this was done Aug. 2008. Part # 8499-60440 SP Bulb.

I know $11 is a lot for a bulb, but by getting 'em at Toyota I knew they'd fit & I wouldn't get frustrated buying them online, wait 7-10 days for the mail and then find out they don't fit.

Do what you want in terms of how much you're willing to spend, but I prefer doing a job once and knowing it will be done right. Again, this is for a 1996 ES300 and possibly is the same for all 92-96

Footnote: Lexus did not carry the bulbs or know where to get them Toyota had 'em in stock
Attached Thumbnails 2nd-gen ES climate control light problem-1012081619.jpg  

Last edited by LW ES300; 10-12-08 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-12-08, 03:47 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cu2cool
Has anyone tried to fix the bulbs on the radio yet? The lights on my volume and Tune buttons aren't lighting up. If someone has successfully fixed theirs or has info on the part #, and procedure please help.
Originally Posted by LW ES300
Why is this becoming such a big production? This thread is titled 2nd-gen ES climate control light problem. Different people here on CL say the lights/bulbs are soldered in. They are not soldered in on my stock 1996 ES300, they simply "unscrew" to remove. See my next post for a picture.

It's really easy to remove the console and in 5 minutes you can see for yourself how they're mounted/installed. Note: This is to Only to replace the bulbs for the controls of front/rear defrost, A/C & Circulate air, Mode, Fan speeds, Outside temp, and Off. This is NOT to fix or change the LCD screen
because that guy up ahead asked for the radio, not the ac stuff. the radio stuff is probably all soldered leds as my 97 is. i havent taken the time yet to look into the 92-96, but im just taking a guess that they will be soldered leds.
so lw es300 will you stop this big production post, since you know so much.
Charley
The following users liked this post:
kiwiinsask (09-20-22)
Old 10-12-08, 05:25 PM
LW ES300
Driver

Originally Posted by charley240
because that guy up ahead asked for the radio, not the ac stuff. the radio stuff is probably all soldered leds as my 97 is. i havent taken the time yet to look into the 92-96, but im just taking a guess that they will be soldered leds.
so lw es300 will you stop this big production post, since you know so much.
Charley
The reason I contributed to this thread is because it is titled "2nd-gen ES climate control light problem." If you read my notes carefully you will see that they were targeted towards knowledge of a 96 ES300 since that is my make/model (I'm pretty sure 1996 is the 2nd-gen series, maybe you know better).
Old 10-15-08, 08:38 AM
cu2cool
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by charley240
yeah, it can be done. the leds are soldered in, so a precise a temperature controlled soldering gun will be required. and the bulb choice is up to you. only thing i havent been able to find is what mcd the oem leds are so that i can get the exact rather than getting a different shade of green.
this is definitely a time consuming project.

Charley
Thanks for the response Charley. I would like to replace my broken radio LCD soon, but I keep wondering if it will be worth it since the buttons still don't light up at night. Do you know anywhere I can find directions on replacing the LEDs for the buttons? I've never used a soldering tool before so I don't want to mess it up. I was also thinking about installing HID headlights as well. Any words of advice for that?
Old 10-15-08, 01:24 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

well, the damaged lcd screen is easy, and you will be able to see when using, but as for the leds for the buttons, its not that big of a deal i guess. the buttons at least can be felt. but if youre a beginner with soldering, id probably not suggest you to solder the leds. i have experience with soldering and still dont feel comfortable doing this because preciseness is needed. and the leds are tiny.
and the hids stuff is really easy as well, just use a hacksaw and slice some of the metal up. nothing too big.
search around.
oh, for the leds buttons try searching toyotanation.com and solaraguy.com

im pretty sure its TN that has a very detailed write up.

Charley
Old 02-04-09, 05:14 PM
2000ES300
Rookie

I did notice that the how to remove shown "here" link is not working on the first page. could someone update that link for me.

thank you
Old 02-19-09, 12:46 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by LW ES300
I didn't want to waste time trying to find replacements online so picked up 3 bulbs at Toyota for $10.95 each, this was done Aug. 2008. Part # 8499-60440 SP Bulb.

I know $11 is a lot for a bulb, but by getting 'em at Toyota I knew they'd fit & I wouldn't get frustrated buying them online, wait 7-10 days for the mail and then find out they don't fit.

Do what you want in terms of how much you're willing to spend, but I prefer doing a job once and knowing it will be done right. Again, this is for a 1996 ES300 and possibly is the same for all 92-96

Footnote: Lexus did not carry the bulbs or know where to get them Toyota had 'em in stock
I just contacted my local Toyota dealership to see if they had these bulbs in stock. The part number given above did not work - nothing in their computer system with nine digits. BUT...when the parts guy entered 84999-60440 (note the extra "9") the system accepted it as a valid part number for the bulbs. Apparently, all such Toyota part numbers have 10 digits.

Just in case someone is looking for these bulbs and has trouble with the first part number posted.

Last edited by Lexucan; 02-19-09 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-13-09, 06:55 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

OK - how do you get the cluster out in the first place - the link to this step is dead, and I DON'T want to break some little tab doing it!
Old 04-13-09, 09:48 AM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

I too, have basically every light in my climate control burnt out. We desperately need someone to gather both information and plenty of pictures and put together a DIY on how to fix these bulbs (led or incandescent) from start to finish. Then we can stop bringing up threads like these every week.
Old 05-22-09, 03:44 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mmatheny
OK - how do you get the cluster out in the first place - the link to this step is dead, and I DON'T want to break some little tab doing it!
Unfortunately the link posted at the beginning of this thread is now dead, but this guy installing his new stereo pretty much sums up taking it apart: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...m-install.html
Old 05-23-09, 04:53 PM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

I just changed mine out for the defrost labels also, but let me give you a tip - change ALL of them while you have it apart - the end for the others isn't far behind!
Old 05-24-09, 04:23 AM
fju2112
Driver

lexusgk, do you have quantities for ALL bulbs you'd need to replace, both in the A/C and stereo component of the cluster? i know 4 brown/2 black in the bottom piece but what about the top/bigger piece with the stereo controls?
Old 05-24-09, 09:08 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mmatheny
I just changed mine out for the defrost labels also, but let me give you a tip - change ALL of them while you have it apart - the end for the others isn't far behind!
I will be trying this later this summer, except before i do i want to see if i can change the stereo lighting as well. It would look weird running white LED's in the A/C console and yet retaining a 'green' radio. So far i have everything like that the only things non [white] LED remaining to get done is the trunk light [ordered wrong one ] and the radio & a/c as well as the gear selector. Everything else i did up in white. A write up soon to follow

Quick Reply: 2nd-gen ES climate control light problem