ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2nd-gen ES climate control light problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-04, 07:50 PM
DuneDain
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

when one wants so replace these lights, does anyone know if they need to be sotered back into the circuit board, or do they just pop out and you snap the new ones in or something to the extent of that?
Old 01-18-04, 08:44 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by DuneDain
when one wants so replace these lights, does anyone know if they need to be sotered back into the circuit board, or do they just pop out and you snap the new ones in or something to the extent of that?
No soldering here. The bulbs are basically "screwed" onto the circuit board (as shown in one of the pics on the 1st page). Use a flathead to take the bulbs out. Can't really get any more simple than that
Old 01-18-04, 10:36 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job Doug and a very good writeup, your just like me, so i know annoying those burnt out bulbs can be!!
Old 01-18-04, 04:48 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Good job Doug and a very good writeup, your just like me, so i know annoying those burnt out bulbs can be!!
Thanks D, and to think of the possibility of Lexus replacing the A/C cluster for $600 versus replacing the bulbs for a few bucks is priceless Gotta love the wonders of the DIY world!
Old 12-23-04, 02:25 AM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

nice fix man. i have a similar problem. the lights stopped working behind the FM and AM buttons. woud the procedure be the same for tackling those?
Old 12-23-04, 11:55 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vic Nyce
nice fix man. i have a similar problem. the lights stopped working behind the FM and AM buttons. woud the procedure be the same for tackling those?
Yes, it should be pretty much the same procedure. Just more bulbs to cover the backlighting of the buttons, and make sure you pick out the right defective bulbs when you flip over the circuit board of the stereo unit.
Old 02-03-05, 11:46 AM
johnnyt
Pole Position

There is no bulbs on the stereo itself, so if any lights burn out the stereo itself including: the am fm buttons, cd, preset buttons, you have to ship it to pioneer. Also my consil had all brown tops on the bulbs and each bulbs has number h, 1-9 on the bulb itself. I took one of the lcd bulbs out cause they were all brown and I thought I put the right bulb back in but they all have different numbers and are brown and now my lcd flashes to the bass of my stereo which It didn't before.
Old 03-04-05, 05:38 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by omaha lex
There ARE bulbs in the stereo! The only complication is that they are soldered onto the cicuit board instead of mounted in little holders that simply snap in. I've taken apart both the stereo and climate control, but not because of burned out bulbs. For the climate control, I replaced those BUTT-UGLY green incandescents with 3mm blue LEDs. I also replaced the lights behind the stereo's LCD with blue LEDs. The rest of the bulbs in the stereo will have to wait until I get some surface-mount resistors. It looks INFINITELY better with the blue LEDs! Also, burned out bulbs are a thing of the past (LEDs last forever!). I'll post some pics of the finished result sometime soon and when I take it all apart again to replace the rest of the bulbs in the stereo I'll post some pics of the insides as well as some DIY instructions (I'll probably create a new thread for this).
Looking forward to the DIY instructions and pics
Old 03-30-05, 05:05 PM
thirdmotio
Pole Position

where can i buy these bulbs?
Old 03-31-05, 09:33 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by thirdmotio
where can i buy these bulbs?
The bulbs can be purchased at the parts counter of your Lexus dealership. They range from $2 to $3 per bulb. Go back to the 1st page for all know-how in accessing and replacing the climate control bulbs
Old 04-10-05, 01:17 PM
thirdmotio
Pole Position

Originally Posted by johnnyt
There is no bulbs on the stereo itself, so if any lights burn out the stereo itself including: the am fm buttons, cd, preset buttons, you have to ship it to pioneer. .
You can also do this yourself.
I had 6 bulbs out on my radio and opened it up to see what type of bulbs it was using.
It was different than the ones on the climate control but i didn't have part number(or didn't even know if it was available) and wanted to fix it while i had the whole thing disassebled.. What i did was, i ordered bunch of climate control bulbs previously and after fixing climate control bulbs, i had 5 more bulbs left. I thought, what the heck, took pastics off of the climate buttons, it has long wire so i cut off some to fit just right on the circuit board, desoldered burnt bulbs and soldered climate bulbs. And BAMMMMM!! it works!! heh

Radio bulbs are alot smaller than climate bulbs but it works out fine. Only bulb that can't be fit was the volume bulb(because of the clear glassing that goves above the bulb). So what i did was i took out a good radio bulb, replaced that with volume bulb and put climate bulb on the one i took out.

My dash is beautiful again!
Old 12-26-07, 03:11 PM
pusanpa
Driver School Candidate

Great Thread. I have 98 es300 and half of the stereo and the climate control bulbs are dead. I will try this and let you know gyus later.
Old 04-27-08, 07:40 AM
calichris
Lead Lap

bringing it alive, but can i change the bulbs to a white or the same color as the gauges in my 00?
Old 05-31-08, 07:14 PM
R1R
Driver

Good question.

Is it possible to change the color from green to white or blue? Thanks!
Old 10-11-08, 08:21 AM
cu2cool
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried to fix the bulbs on the radio yet? The lights on my volume and Tune buttons aren't lighting up. If someone has successfully fixed theirs or has info on the part #, and procedure please help.

Quick Reply: 2nd-gen ES climate control light problem