ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus mechanic takes my car to pick up lunch....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-17, 02:20 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I have friends that work @ a high performance shop on LI when ever I visit 9x's outta 10 when ever I walk over to have a conversation about a car there working on from 1000 hp street cars to your weekend cruiser it's almost always the same "what this piece of *****"...
Old 03-22-17, 02:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by azipod
The law is arguable. Like how others said, it's just a matter if you want to take on the risk/exposure to defend yourself if you were to get hit in a lawsuit.

If you had a dash cam that recorded voice/video of people inside your car, you can potentially argue that their conversation was not "confidential communication" and that there was no reason to expect privacy. Or, you argue that the camera only captured video and the purpose is to record movement of the vehicle as oppose to communication inside the car.

There is no legal conclusion anyone can make. It is all going to be factually driven and dependent on what law will apply.

Whether anyone wants to take the risk to get sued is up to them. I'm sure you can always run a campaign, launch public awareness, gather sympathy of the public and see if the dealership gives in (if they decide to sue you).
I mean, after finding the link I found above, it's a lot less arguable than I even thought it was given my experience. It's pretty clear that recording people having a conversation when you are not a party, can't naturally overhear and don't have consent of either party is pretty universally illegal.

Back to the OP's situation. The locker room talk doesn't bother me at all, as others have said we all talk about things when we think we are in private differently than when we're in the presence of our customers. In my office we routinely refer to people homes as "what's the price on that dump you have on Main St?", etc.

What would bother me is them driving my car to lunch, I wouldn't care for that either. Test drive should be a quick around the block.
Old 03-22-17, 04:13 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

The law is arguable. Like how others said, it's just a matter if you want to take on the risk/exposure to defend yourself if you were to get hit in a lawsuit.

If you had a dash cam that recorded voice/video of people inside your car, you can potentially argue that their conversation was not "confidential communication" and that there was no reason to expect privacy. Or, you argue that the camera only captured video and the purpose is to record movement of the vehicle as oppose to communication inside the car.

There is no legal conclusion anyone can make. It is all going to be factually driven and dependent on what law will apply.

Whether anyone wants to take the risk to get sued is up to them. I'm sure you can always run a campaign, launch public awareness, gather sympathy of the public and see if the dealership gives in (if they decide to sue you).
In my scenario I was not going to mention the dash cam at all. I was just going to say I happened to see my car at Restaurant X.

In any case, I live in Canada and we are not so "sue happy" as in the USA. If you start a frivilous case here and lose, you generally get slammed with your court costs (naturally) and those of the person you were suing. Cut's down on many nonsense suits. The law of course on most matters differs as well.
Old 03-22-17, 04:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats what we call "tort reform", not likely to happen here LOL
Old 03-22-17, 11:47 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

i couldn't agree with this more. There is no reason to take your car to a dealer, unless the service is free. A reputable and competent independent shop will do a much better job.

dealerships work in volumes. Do you really think they care about your car? I never understood why people choose to pay out the nose for what they think is better service at the dealer! What a waste of money!
I pretty much agree with this.... I agree that the dealership probably doesn't give a rats *** about your car / my car... but at the Lexus dealership I use, there is one particular mechanic that I specifically request when i take my car in for service, even if it's nothing more than a simple oil change. When I first bought my es I had a problem with a "squeak " in the dash whenever the temperature was down in the 40's or lower.. Took the car to the dealership several times, they would call me and tell me it's ready... I'd drive it home no trouble... next time it got down in the 40's, all I heard was squeak squeak squeak... Took it back and this time the service writer handed it off to a different tech... he came out and asked me to explain exactly what I was hearing and when... he kept the car 2 days, called me and told me it was fixed and I haven't heard a squeak since... so I always request him... Now having said that I will continue to pay the dealer for service on my ES until the warranty expires next January. Yes I know that I can take it to other independent shops and the warranty will still be in place, but I am just making sure there is no way Lexus can claim my service history is an issue if I have a warranty issue... I also have a 2010 Toyota 4 Runner. As soon as it's warranty expired I started taking it to a Gateway Tire Shop.. Yes, it is a tire shop but they also do tune ups, front end allignments, oil changes etc. Seems like I get a little better service ( manager is a personal friend ) and I know the price is better. Starting next January, my ES will also be going to that same shop...

Poppa
Old 03-23-17, 02:27 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
. Now having said that I will continue to pay the dealer for service on my ES until the warranty expires next January. Yes I know that I can take it to other independent shops and the warranty will still be in place, but I am just making sure there is no way Lexus can claim my service history is an issue if I have a warranty issue... I also have a 2010 Toyota 4 Runner. As soon as it's warranty expired I started taking it to a Gateway Tire Shop.. Yes, it is a tire shop but they also do tune ups, front end allignments, oil changes etc. Seems like I get a little better service ( manager is a personal friend ) and I know the price is better. Starting next January, my ES will also be going to that same shop...
Agree with your theory.

Ans as for independents, I have had some pretty shoddy work done on vehicles over the years and independents were usually involved. Sometimes they were completely incompetent, other times deliberately fraudulent (using used parts and invoicing them as new).

I have been using the same Toyota dealership for many years. Price is fair (in the scheme of things) and they have never done a shoddy job. Wish I could say the same about some other places . Local mechanics seem to be a vanishing breed in my part of the world.
Old 03-23-17, 03:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Obviously all independent mechanics aren't created equal, you have to invest some effort in finding a really good one. Mine is great and there are numerous other ones around here that are also great. Get referrals, look at Yelp reviews, etc.
Old 03-23-17, 03:44 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

i take my Lexus to the Toyota dealer for service. same parts, same techs, same service, half the price.
Old 03-24-17, 10:37 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It must be fun to be a Lexus mechanic !

:-/