ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus mechanic takes my car to pick up lunch....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 03:17 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Probably going to need a lawyer if you say you recorded them without their consent. I would be careful how I handled this.
That would be really ironic - they use HIS car for an unofficial, unauthorized run and HE would be the one in legal trouble?
Old 03-19-17, 03:44 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
That would be really ironic - they use HIS car for an unofficial, unauthorized run and HE would be the one in legal trouble?
You are correct. Our laws cater to the criminals.
Old 03-19-17, 05:47 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

i would consider speaking to the service manager. i would tell him - look, i know for a fact that my car was used by some of your employees for a lunch run. this was not a test drive but a lunch run - and i'm not very happy about it. i want two things from you - first, i want you to promise me that this does not happen again, and second, i want a couple of free oil changes (or whatever) to make up for this poor experience.
Old 03-19-17, 05:54 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoder
It wasn't Thompson... although I did buy the car from them.
can you confirm or deny that it's Wilkie?
Old 03-20-17, 12:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I agree 100% with Mike728...the issue here is recording someone without their knowledge or consent...

To another matter, I say this is evidence that people who take their cars to the dealership and pay more because they think their car is being treated better or is having a higher quality of work done are fooling themselves. This kind of thing happens all the time, the cars are like numbers, nobody cares about you or your car individually. Much higher quality of work and more personalized service happens with a good independent shop. The dealer and all their staff knows they can take a dump in your trunk, and they're still going to have 30 cars a day to service.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-20-17 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 01:51 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeeh I'm beginning to realize this myself. Even if it's a 'luzury car', there are like 40-50 of them a day, and you're just one of many.

PA is a 'two party state', so I always thought you needed both parties' permission in order to record them. On the other hand, you

had the camera on there for a while, and you can't be expected to disconnect every time you think someone might be 'test driving' your car.

After all, it wasn't really a test drive, so they had absolutely no reason to be in there. So I'm not sure if there's really an 'expectation of privacy'.

Only an attorney could tell you for sure if that 'two party' law applies here.

It's still incredible that they're doing this with the cars.
Old 03-20-17, 03:01 PM
Maljunulo
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just be glad they weren't involved in a collision while they were out.
Old 03-20-17, 03:33 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

The other part of this story is how two mechanics/technicians can just go out and take a car for a drive AFTER it has been serviced, finished, and parked. Sounds pretty ****ty to me.
As far as legal issues recording their voices, it wasn't intentional, they had no right to be driving the car when they were, and the mike wasn't installed in the car for surreptitious reasons. It was highly visible on the dash...
The following users liked this post:
Yoder (03-21-17)
Old 03-20-17, 03:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm telling you, google it. There are legal cases out there already where people have gotten in legal trouble for exactly this situation, having dealership personnel recorded in customers cars using dash cams. You are absolutely recording people illegally. The issue is especially problematic when you record people talking without their consent. Even in your own home you cannot record people without their consent.

Who's to say when the car was to be test driven or when it was actually closed out as a ticket. Who's to say dealership personnel had no right to drive the car at that particular time. Even if they didn't, it doesn't excuse the illegal recording. The only person who broke the law here potentially is the person who did the recording.

Best to let this go and take your business elsewhere.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-20-17 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 03:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I googled it for you:

Dealer sues customer for $25,000 over dash cam: https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik....1557675732/amp

Another interesting discussion:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...ing-laws.7576/

If you're recording people, notify them. Post a sign, do something. This can even be considered a felony...

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-20-17 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 04:15 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I googled it for you:

Dealer sues customer for $25,000 over dash cam: https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik....1557675732/amp

Another interesting discussion:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...ing-laws.7576/

If you're recording people, notify them. Post a sign, do something. This can even be considered a felony...
Agree - probably a good idea to have the service advisor put a comment on the service order and, as you suggest, maybe tape a notification sign on the dash.

Darn, you can learn a lot in this forum!
Old 03-20-17, 04:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They might disconnect it too. I have also heard stories about dealerships posting that any vehicle with a dash cam it will be disconnected while it's there for service.

Yep, one of those things you honestly never thought could be an issue becomes an issue! Seems totally reasonable you can record whatever happens inside your property...but like somebody else said, the law sometimes protects the criminals!

I bet you a lot of us would be shocked by how people at dealers treat our property. I have a neighbor who works for an Infiniti dealer, and he has like dealer cars with demo plates and they have the window stickers and all on them still. He was unloading all kinds of stuff out of ons yesterday, had the doors open and it was full of trash and food containers, empty bottles. I was thinking some poor schmo is going to buy that car thinking it's dealer fresh!
Old 03-20-17, 04:28 PM
Maljunulo
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just one of the reasons why the automobile industry is looked upon with such disdain by those who buy its products.
Old 03-20-17, 06:34 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I agree 100% with Mike728...the issue here is recording someone without their knowledge or consent...

To another matter, I say this is evidence that people who take their cars to the dealership and pay more because they think their car is being treated better or is having a higher quality of work done are fooling themselves. This kind of thing happens all the time, the cars are like numbers, nobody cares about you or your car individually. Much higher quality of work and more personalized service happens with a good independent shop. The dealer and all their staff knows they can take a dump in your trunk, and they're still going to have 30 cars a day to service.
i couldn't agree with this more. There is no reason to take your car to a dealer, unless the service is free. A reputable and competent independent shop will do a much better job.

dealerships work in volumes. Do you really think they care about your car? I never understood why people choose to pay out the nose for what they think is better service at the dealer! What a waste of money!
Old 03-20-17, 06:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by azipod
i couldn't agree with this more. There is no reason to take your car to a dealer, unless the service is free. A reputable and competent independent shop will do a much better job.

dealerships work in volumes. Do you really think they care about your car? I never understood why people choose to pay out the nose for what they think is better service at the dealer! What a waste of money!
Absolutely. If you want to go there for the convenience, thats one thing. Sure...its convenient, I roll in, drop the car off, get a loaner, I'm off to my day in 15 minutes. I can come by and get it late in the evening, they're open till 9. Drop it off the night before, get my loaner. Very easy. If you want to do it for the perks, thats another thing. Yeah...the dealers are awesome. They have nice waiting areas, they're very posh, neat store with lots of golf ***** with Lexus logos on them (who buys this stuff BTW? I would feel like a d-bag going around with my Lexus shirt and my Lexus hat and my Lexus jacket and golf bag LOL), its a very nice experience. But...if you use the dealer because you think they do better work...or treat your car better....thats foolish IMHO. I found out my dealer doesn't even use name brand oil! No Toyota oil, Mobil, its generic. For a $200 oil change thats outrageous.

In contrast, my independent mechanic has a dumpy shop, no waiting area. Its in an industrial park next to the train tracks. No loaners...I have to rent a car from Enterprise if I need a car or he will drive me to the Metro. So, without a car then. He closes at 5 so I have to be sure to be back and drop the rental off first (he'll wait a little for me, but he aint waiting until 9!). BUT...he's a lot cheaper, he uses quality parts, OEM or better parts, fluids, everything. The owner of the shop drives my car, its him and one other guy, he was a Lexus master tech for 15+ years and his guy is an ASE certified mechanic. So, higher quality of people changing oil (techs don't do that at Lexus, they're shop hands like they have at Jiffy Lube). They treat my car with respect, and I've become friends with the guy over the years. Take your time and find a good one, and use them.

Hell...anymore I try and avoid dealers when they're free! Half the time they just screw something else up on my car trying to fix one issue.

Quick Reply: Lexus mechanic takes my car to pick up lunch....