ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

New Lexus infotainment detailed review

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 04:47 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenTodd
I am with you on that. My brother has a 2016 Camaro with the Chevy MyLink system and with Android Auto. Any Google app such as Google Maps along with music apps such as Pandora and Slacker he can display on the MyLink touchscreen. With Lexus you are limited on what Lexus wants to give you in the Lexus Enform App Suite.
You do know that those two apps are included with Enform, right? I'm with you on wanting Android Auto, though, just wanted to point that out.
Old 03-23-17, 07:25 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I understand people being disappointed when an option is not as elegant or feature rich as another manufacturer's, but I'm not sure I understand why one feature is the make or break decision factor. I tend to look at the whole car and wouldn't let one feature make the decision for me. I work in the computer industry and love my electronics/gadgets as much as the next guy, so I'm not saying the infotainment system isn't important to me, it just isn't going to be the one factor that makes my purchase decision. That said, we all set our own priorities so there is certainly nothing wrong with moving on if one manufacturer no longer meets your needs.
+1

I've been driving Toyota and Lexus vehicles for about the last 20 years. One of the things that I've learned over that time is that, if you want cutting edge technology and the newest features and if you choose to buy a Toyota or a Lexus, you have chosen the wrong brands. During my years of owning Toyota and Lexus vehicles, Toyota and Lexus have consistently been at least a few years behind other brands with regard to making even relatively simple features available on their vehicles, and that includes basic technology, such as auto dimming mirrors, more advanced AWD systems, automatic climate control systems, etc.

If being on that cutting edge with regard to features and technology is a high priority, you would be more likely to find it in a Chevy or Hyundai vehicle than in a Toyota or Lexus vehicle. While I appreciate technology and other features, I buy the Lexus and Toyota vehicles for other reasons involved in the whole package of what the vehicle is.
Old 03-23-17, 08:31 AM
StevenTodd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
You do know that those two apps are included with Enform, right? I'm with you on wanting Android Auto, though, just wanted to point that out.
I know that Pandora and Slacker are included in the Enform app. But if you want something else you are out of luck.
Old 03-23-17, 09:41 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenTodd
I know that Pandora and Slacker are included in the Enform app. But if you want something else you are out of luck.
Slacker was added after the fact, so it is possible.
Old 03-25-17, 01:08 PM
CarToys
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lesz
+1

I've been driving Toyota and Lexus vehicles for about the last 20 years. One of the things that I've learned over that time is that, if you want cutting edge technology and the newest features and if you choose to buy a Toyota or a Lexus, you have chosen the wrong brands. During my years of owning Toyota and Lexus vehicles, Toyota and Lexus have consistently been at least a few years behind other brands with regard to making even relatively simple features available on their vehicles, and that includes basic technology, such as auto dimming mirrors, more advanced AWD systems, automatic climate control systems, etc.

If being on that cutting edge with regard to features and technology is a high priority, you would be more likely to find it in a Chevy or Hyundai vehicle than in a Toyota or Lexus vehicle. While I appreciate technology and other features, I buy the Lexus and Toyota vehicles for other reasons involved in the whole package of what the vehicle is.
While what you say is true, at what point does Toyota play catch up? Right now they're pretty much the only major car company left who isn't implanting Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. They can't stay behind the curve forever. As more people are exposed to this technology on other car brands, eventually it's going to affect Toyota's sales, if it hasn't already.
Old 03-25-17, 02:03 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by CarToys
While what you say is true, at what point does Toyota play catch up? Right now they're pretty much the only major car company left who isn't implanting Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. They can't stay behind the curve forever. As more people are exposed to this technology on other car brands, eventually it's going to affect Toyota's sales, if it hasn't already.
You could be right, but I'm guessing that cutting edge technology is not as high on the priority list for typical Lexus buyers as it is for the buyers of other cars, especially including those brands that are trying to appeal to younger buyers. I know that, for me, I'm quite okay with the technology in Lexus vehicles, and having cutting edge technology isn't nearly as important to me as are lots of other things that Lexus vehicles provide, including reliability, quiet, comfortable ride quality, etc. Further, I'm okay with the Lexus practice of letting other brands work out the bugs in the technology before putting it into their vehicles.
Old 03-25-17, 02:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

You could be right, but I'm guessing that cutting edge technology is not as high on the priority list for typical Lexus buyers as it is for the buyers of other cars, especially including those brands that are trying to appeal to younger buyers. I know that, for me, I'm quite okay with the technology in Lexus vehicles, and having cutting edge technology isn't nearly as important to me as are lots of other things that Lexus vehicles provide, including reliability, quiet, comfortable ride quality, etc. Further, I'm okay with the Lexus practice of letting other brands work out the bugs in the technology before putting it into their vehicles.
I agree with you that technology might not be a top priority for a lot of typical Lexus buyers - Especially with the ES, LS and possibly the RX. However, as Lexus is reaching out to a younger demographic with the new (polarizing) styling on the RX, NX and others, I think updated/current in-car technology will become more important to potential younger buyers.
Old 03-25-17, 06:50 PM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Further, I'm okay with the Lexus practice of letting other brands work out the bugs in the technology before putting it into their vehicles.
+1

I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the primary reasons for slow adoption. Ill take proper execution and reliably over bleeding-edge tech any day of the week (spoken like a true Lexus owner I suppose). According to CR the number one reliabity complaint of new car owners (especially domestic manufacturers)...wait for it.... yep, infotainment.

Last edited by 400to300H; 03-25-17 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-25-17, 06:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I've been dealing with them being behind on tech for 19 years. To be honest, I'm getting a little tired of it.
Old 03-25-17, 07:12 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've been dealing with them being behind on tech for 19 years. To be honest, I'm getting a little tired of it.
+1. As most of us don't buy a new car every year, if one buys a new Lexus and it's lacking in technology as compared to other brands, then you're even further behind other cars as they roll out their new accessories and safety options. I cannot understand why Lexus refuses to embrace Apple and Android technology. Seems to me that everyone I see has either an Apple or Android smartphone in their hands.
Old 03-25-17, 07:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Exactly, you gotta have a little tech to carry you through...
Old 03-25-17, 08:04 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree with you that technology might not be a top priority for a lot of typical Lexus buyers - Especially with the ES, LS and possibly the RX. However, as Lexus is reaching out to a younger demographic with the new (polarizing) styling on the RX, NX and others, I think updated/current in-car technology will become more important to potential younger buyers.
Even if it isn't for the es or rx it has to be for the ls. That's the 100k flagship we are talking about.