Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

2015 ES300h Navigation

Old 03-13-17, 04:35 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

1. i love factory OEM in-car Navigation and as of now would never buy a car without it. i do miss the Lexus touchscreen though and hope they bring it back.
2. if you feel the same as me, don't buy a car without it. buy exactly what you want up front car, colors, features, options - and drive it forever - 10+ years.
3. trying to add Navigation to a Lexus after the fact will be expensive, clumsy, ugly, and a big mistake IMO.
4. the reason not all Lexus cars (or others) include Navigation is because enough people do not want to pay for it because they won't use it. either because they just don't use Navigation devices or they prefer using their smartphone.
5. i like Silver Exterior and Black Leather Interior Colors and that's what i have. i believe it's classic and popular and desired (resale value) but more importantly that color scheme holds up well - it always looks clean, doesn't show dirt/dings/stains as much as others.
Old 03-13-17, 11:14 AM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

My RC, IS and GS all have navigation but I use my phone for navigation majority of the time. I also have a 15 Camry Hybrid (same engine as the ES300h) without navigation. I bought the Camry Hybrid instead of ES300h because I saved 20k without the leather, wood, navigation and other goodies in an ES300h.
Old 03-13-17, 05:50 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by UCLABryan
Thanks for the advice. In fact, what got me turned onto the ES300h was the price on a Prius 4/5 with leather and Nav for a 2015 it gets close $19k range. I'm on a lease and decided to buy it outright, but changed my mind when I drove a 300h. I came upon some extra cash, so I thought I'd check out the Lexus. I think its all worth it. I didn't know that about the Atomic Silver either. I will be on the California highways a lot. I hope I don't get scratched too much. I have the Gray 2015 Prius and it got knicked up pretty good. It's much more visible than most colors, except black of course. Come to think of it, that is one of the reasons I wanted this color is because I thought the scratches would not appear so much as in regular silver. But you are saying that scratches stand out a lot?? Ward6096
Don't get me wrong, we love the Atomic Silver. It isn't the typical Silver. But for some reason, it just seems to reflect minor scratches more, and I'll bet it would be a bugger to repaint if it ever was in an accident. That said, I would get the color again because we like it so much. My comment was intended more as a word of warning to be careful with it than to discourage any purchase. Someone on this list commented that the Atomic Silver is a five stage process, where most Lexus paint jobs are a three stage process. We have a Matador Red Mica NX and it replaced a Nebula Gray Pearl RX. Both great colors, but more forgiving. I think it is just the way the clear coat reflects the light against the scratch. Simple answer - don't let it pick up any scratches.
Old 03-13-17, 05:52 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
Ward6096, good to know about the Atomic Silver. I'm looking at the NX and RX, and was considering that color.
I saw an NX in Atomic Silver and it looks awesome. Great contrast with the black around the fenders. Probably my favorite color on the NX, and then Nebula Gray Pearl.
The following users liked this post:
UCLABryan (03-16-17)
Old 03-15-17, 11:56 PM
UCLABryan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just in case anyone was wondering, I bought the 2015 ES300h withOUT Navigation. Everything else in the car is so awesome, I hardly notice. It has all of the extra Luxury options like heated and ventilated seats. No trunk 'close' button is a bummer though. Also the ability to view the rear camera while driving is another Mercedes option I'd like to have. Oh well, I'll live.

The Atomic Silver kicks major *** though...
Old 03-16-17, 05:17 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by UCLABryan
Just in case anyone was wondering, I bought the 2015 ES300h withOUT Navigation. Everything else in the car is so awesome, I hardly notice. It has all of the extra Luxury options like heated and ventilated seats. No trunk 'close' button is a bummer though. Also the ability to view the rear camera while driving is another Mercedes option I'd like to have. Oh well, I'll live.

The Atomic Silver kicks major *** though...
Congratulations!
UCLABryan (03-19-17)
Old 03-16-17, 10:57 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks good. Enjoy.
UCLABryan (03-19-17)
Old 03-19-17, 01:58 PM
UCLABryan
Driver School Candidate

It rides like a dream! I don't think I'm exaggerating at all despite coming out of a 2015 Prius!
Old 08-05-17, 12:02 PM
UCLABryan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gekko
1. i love factory OEM in-car Navigation and as of now would never buy a car without it. i do miss the Lexus touchscreen though and hope they bring it back.
2. if you feel the same as me, don't buy a car without it. buy exactly what you want up front car, colors, features, options - and drive it forever - 10+ years.
3. trying to add Navigation to a Lexus after the fact will be expensive, clumsy, ugly, and a big mistake IMO.
4. the reason not all Lexus cars (or others) include Navigation is because enough people do not want to pay for it because they won't use it. either because they just don't use Navigation devices or they prefer using their smartphone.
5. i like Silver Exterior and Black Leather Interior Colors and that's what i have. i believe it's classic and popular and desired (resale value) but more importantly that color scheme holds up well - it always looks clean, doesn't show dirt/dings/stains as much as others.
For sure! I completely agree. I decided that after having the NX for 2 days, I found that I didn't use the navigation that much. I still use my phone more than the car navigation system. However, mine has the touchscreen for all of the other features for the stereo. I like that you can get around easily to the bluetooth, audio functions, and outputs. It also displays the albums being played and has a nice touch to it. As for GPS, I think the phone wins over the navigation system in the lexus, even with the updated 2017 model that the Lexus dealer gave me while my car was checked out.

Also, I agree with getting everything you want personally. I really liked the Atomic Silver on black leather, and the owner added ventilated seats which is a really nice upgrade.

Thanks a lot for the reply, and my apologies for the extremely late reply! Happy Driving!
Old 08-05-17, 12:21 PM
UCLABryan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gs400998
My RC, IS and GS all have navigation but I use my phone for navigation majority of the time. I also have a 15 Camry Hybrid (same engine as the ES300h) without navigation. I bought the Camry Hybrid instead of ES300h because I saved 20k without the leather, wood, navigation and other goodies in an ES300h.
Me too, I took a NX out while they tested my ES. I liked the navigation, but it wasnt a deal breaker. I had already bought it anyway and it was still under warranty. I agree, I mostly use my phone as well. I had a Prius prior to my ES. I used my phone too. The GPS is always updated so that costs a lot less too. I use GPS everyday.

I almost bought a 2015 Camry hybrid. I paid about $5K more for the ES than a comparable Camry hybrid. Personally, its night and day. I was on the market for the Camry initially because the Lexus was a little pricey. I came across my ES and had a little luck on my side so I took advantage. The previous owner ungraded the ventilated seats which is something I like having. I also got kinda lucky on the trimming, color, etc. Atomic Silver, black leather, bamboo trimming, wheels, personally, it's a was a no brainer IMO

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for my delayed reply!
Old 08-05-17, 02:20 PM
Popgun
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just traded my 2010 ES350 with no nav or screen of any kind. My new '17 ES350 does not have NAV but does have the screen (I forget the official Lexus name for the non nav screen). I don't care for the NAV version personally and just use my phone or Garmin if needed.
Old 08-08-17, 08:12 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I didn't know 2015 cars could be had in Atomic Silver. I always thought that was only on the facelift cars.

Anyway, congrats, it's a beauty My 2014 hybrid was a base model that didn't have Nav or even Display Audio. I got a third party Chinese nav unit that came with a rotary Display Audio-style controller. Installing it required pulling apart most of the dash and center console, in return I have free map updates and the (slightly dodgy) ability to play DVDs and MP4 videos while on the move. I wouldn't recommend it for American cars because of the hassle of installing it and the lack of good maps.

I rarely use the third party nav unit because it doesn't have live traffic routing. I usually use my phone for navigation and I set the car to show a general overview map.