ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

10,000 mile service issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-17, 06:01 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The work order for my 10K service does show a separate listing for the cabin air filter and the tech did mention that they changed it because it is part of the 10K free service but that it was pretty clean and probably not necessary to change it every 10K. These filter elements are really expensive from Lexus and they keep recommending shorter and shorter change intervals. Rotating the tires however is still recommended every 5K which is probably a good idea - but maybe not at your Lexus dealer when many tire stores will rotate your tires for free. I usually watch them do the work but also note or mark something about at least one tire or wheel to confirm the rotation is done - and they have never failed to do it.

Dave Mac
Old 03-08-17, 04:44 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
The work order for my 10K service does show a separate listing for the cabin air filter and the tech did mention that they changed it because it is part of the 10K free service
Sounds like you have a good dealer, as the filter is not included in the free service.

12MO / 10K MI

COMPLIMENTARY / FACTORY-RECOMMENDED

• This service is normally covered under warranty if done within 12 months or 10,000 miles.

• Replace engine oil and oil filter (0W-20)

• Rotate tires and adjust tire pressures as required

• Reset maintenance reminder light

• Road test vehicle

• Check installation of driver's floor mat*

• Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors

http://www.lexus.com/maintenance
Old 03-08-17, 05:00 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Sounds like you have a good dealer, as the filter is not included in the free service.

12MO / 10K MI

COMPLIMENTARY / FACTORY-RECOMMENDED

• This service is normally covered under warranty if done within 12 months or 10,000 miles.

• Replace engine oil and oil filter (0W-20)

• Rotate tires and adjust tire pressures as required

• Reset maintenance reminder light

• Road test vehicle

• Check installation of driver's floor mat*

• Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors

http://www.lexus.com/maintenance
To be sure that my memory was accurate, I had to check the paperwork for the 10,000 mile service on my 2013 ES a couple of years ago, and, as a part of that (complimentary) service, the dealer also did replace the cabin air filter.
Old 03-08-17, 05:16 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
To be sure that my memory was accurate, I had to check the paperwork for the 10,000 mile service on my 2013 ES a couple of years ago, and, as a part of that (complimentary) service, the dealer also did replace the cabin air filter.
What area is your dealer in? Definitely wasn't included when I had mine done in Schaumburg back in 2014.
Old 03-08-17, 08:07 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

I do have a good dealer but I think on the 2016 changing the cabin filter at the free 10K service is listed in the manual as something that is included. I don't recall that being the case with my 2013 ES though.

Dave Mac
Old 03-08-17, 08:37 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is a 2016. It wasn't listed on the invoice, so I'm not sure they changed the air filter.
This is Northeast PA area. .

The service advisor said nothing about it, and I've been calling him for two days now. I may never be able to
find out if it was changed, unless I take it out and look at it I guess.

It was mostly city driving, so it's possible it needed changing.

It sounds like it depends on the dealer, and also how 'dirty' it looks.

JL
Old 03-08-17, 08:38 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good dealer, great salesman, but the latest experience gives me pause about the service.....
Old 03-08-17, 06:51 PM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Had my 10K service this week as well; the only fault was messing with the tire pressure. I had them perfect at 33 cold and when I got on the road fronts were at 37 and 38, and backs were at 36 and 37. And, they did not replace any filters other than oil...... but we got cookies
Old 03-09-17, 05:32 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by modad
Had my 10K service this week as well; the only fault was messing with the tire pressure. I had them perfect at 33 cold and when I got on the road fronts were at 37 and 38, and backs were at 36 and 37. And, they did not replace any filters other than oil...... but we got cookies
At least its easier to lower the pressure than to increase it
My dealer service experience is similar regarding filter changes. At my 30k service they said the engine air filter was getting close to needing a change but could wait until 40k. I plan on picking up a new filter somewhere else and swapping it myself (quite ease to do). I checked the cabin filter myself before taking it in and it was still in good shape.
Old 03-09-17, 07:56 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Yes, the tire pressure increase is a pretty common event with each service but I don't even mention it anymore and just adjust it in a couple of days.

Dave Mac
Old 03-09-17, 08:20 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Lexus drivers ought to have a good basic knowledge in vehicle maintenance. It is pretty funny this kind of topic come up in the forum. Sounds like many are vehicle
operators among us.. I used to drive Bimmer, Audi, Porsche, etc. when I was young . Their corresponding forums are different compared to that of Lexus. We are drivers of our cars/trucks not operators.
The following users liked this post:
USALV (03-09-17)
Old 03-09-17, 04:32 PM
USALV
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Htony
Lexus drivers ought to have a good basic knowledge in vehicle maintenance. It is pretty funny this kind of topic come up in the forum. Sounds like many are vehicle
operators among us.. I used to drive Bimmer, Audi, Porsche, etc. when I was young . Their corresponding forums are different compared to that of Lexus. We are drivers of our cars/trucks not operators.
Im slowly but surely catching up.
Old 03-09-17, 05:13 PM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jloftus
Hello Lexonians,

Well, I took my 2016 ES350 in for its official 10,000 service yesterday. Of course, when I got it back everything had been reset/erased
as far as the computer and settings go. So now I have to rediscover how to reset them.

But I noticed on the invoice it says 'Replaceable element' and 'Gasket' as separate line items. I wonder if this is a normal part of an oil change? Is the 'Gasket' used to keep the oil from leaking? Just wondering if you guys had the same experience.

Also, the right mirror was totally off. When I got home I discovered it was loose. Moving it towards the car seemed to 'click' it into place, so hopefully it'll be OK. Maybe they had to fold it in or something when they did their magic w the oil change?

In the future I think I'll just take it to Jiffy Lube. I don't see why they have to reset everything in the car, and also it takes literally
2+ hours of waiting - just for an oil change.

John
what part of PA are you in? I am in. Pittsburgh and wondering if we are using the same dealer
Old 03-10-17, 10:37 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did everyone just wait until 10k for first oil change? Some people are advising me to do it at 7500mi and that letting it go to 10K is not a good idea if I plan on keeping the car for awhile. Any advice from all you long time Lexus owners would be much appreciated. Planning on keeping this car for awhile so wondering if I should consider more frequent oil changes? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

Last edited by prosgal73; 03-10-17 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-10-17, 11:54 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Thinking about 10,000 miles oil changes takes some adjustment - I remember when there were 1,000 and then 3,000 mile oil changes - but I would feel confident with the 10K recommendation. There is a range on the free 10K service but I'm not sure it goes town to 7,500 miles unless you are near 12 months. My son has a Denali and a Honda Accord and I don't believe either of them has a recommended change - they just tell you, and it seems to be around 6,500 of city driving.

On the other hand 7,500 miles oil changes would never do any harm except maybe to your wallet and the oil supply..

Dave Mac

Quick Reply: 10,000 mile service issues