ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Decent deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 12:38 PM
OKhunter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decent deal?

I found a 2013 ES, silver, black interior, with about every option I know of (ultra luxury package). It's got 50k miles in it and I've got them to $22k out the door. The car is a one owner with great maintenance records. This will be my first Lexus. Is this a decent deal?
Old 02-25-17, 01:03 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

If it's an immaculate UL ES, I would say it sounds like a good deal.
Old 02-25-17, 01:05 PM
OKhunter
Driver School Candidate

I haven't seen any cars that look much better with that many miles.
Old 02-25-17, 01:28 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Is the car at a Lexus dealer, a non-Lexus dealer, or from a private party? If it is from a Lexus dealer, is it a CPO vehicle?

The 50,000 miles on the odometer is a bit high for a 2013, and it is important to note that, with 50,000 miles, it is now out of the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty. Note that, for an ES of that vintage, every 900 miles or so is worth about $1000 in value to the vehicle, and the difference in value of a car without any of the bumper-to-bumper warranty left and one with even a little of that warranty left is bigger.

You should also make sure that you consider the condition of the tires. At 50,000 miles, it may be the case that the tires have been recently replaced, which would be good, but, if they are still the original tires, they would need to be replaced in the very short term. If the tires still need to be replaced, that would likely be $600-700 expense.

Right now, a UL 2013 ES with 50,000 miles should be worth about $25,000-26,000 as a CPO vehicle from a Lexus dealership. As a non-CPO from a dealer, the price would likely be around $23,000-24,000, depending on the condition of the car. From a private party, I'd expect the price to be a couple of thousand lower.

What is the basis for you saying that it is an UL package ES? Do you have documentation, like the original window sticker, that says that it has the UL package? If not, what options are you using to conclude that it has the UL package? That is important because the difference in value of a 2013 ES with the UL package and one with the Luxury package is about $2000 right now.
Old 02-25-17, 01:43 PM
OKhunter
Driver School Candidate

The tires are near new and are Michelins. I checked them again yesterday. It was advertised as the UL, but it has the ML stereo, panorama roof, thigh extension, plus tons of other options.

Its at at a reputable large car dealership (not Lexus) here in town, and was purchased here at the local
Lexus dealership. Service was all done at either the original Lexus dealership or a local Toyota dealership since new and at almost 5k on the dot. CarFax shows no collisions and that it's only had a flat which was also fixed at the dealership.
Old 02-25-17, 02:19 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OKhunter
The tires are near new and are Michelins. I checked them again yesterday. It was advertised as the UL, but it has the ML stereo, panorama roof, thigh extension, plus tons of other options.

Its at at a reputable large car dealership (not Lexus) here in town, and was purchased here at the local
Lexus dealership. Service was all done at either the original Lexus dealership or a local Toyota dealership since new and at almost 5k on the dot. CarFax shows no collisions and that it's only had a flat which was also fixed at the dealership.
Yes, you definitely are looking at an UL ES, and the new tires are a plus.

I don't know what your sales tax is in Oklahoma, but, if the $22,000 is, as you said, an out-the-door price, it sounds like a very good price for a 2013 UL ES. My only caution would be that, since the car is out of the bumper-to-bumper warranty, it might be worth seeing if you can take it to your own mechanic or to the Lexus dealer to have it inspected for any issues that might not be obvious.
Old 02-25-17, 02:54 PM
OKhunter
Driver School Candidate

I've thought about taking it somewhere, but the dealer has a warranty that should cover a couple
months. I may also look at an extended warranty, but I'm not a big proponent of them.
Old 02-25-17, 05:25 PM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My fully loaded 13 had 102k and it was $17k with new tires and a fresh oil change. One owner and excellent fully documented maintenance. I was pretty happy, wholesale price from a dealership. Sounds like you're getting an even better deal than I did, I would have given $6k for 50k.
Old 02-26-17, 09:24 AM
OKhunter
Driver School Candidate

You guys are talking me into it. I walked over us being $500 apart, but maybe we can come to an agreement. I wonder if they'd pull $500 off an extended warranty....?
Old 02-26-17, 10:31 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

You guys are talking me into it. I walked over us being $500 apart, but maybe we can come to an agreement. I wonder if they'd pull $500 off an extended warranty....?
With buying a new car, it is easy to let dealers compete with each other because every dealer is likely to have very similarly equipped cars in its inventory, and, even if a dealer doesn't have the exact car that you want, it can easily trade for it with another dealer. With used cars, it is harder to get dealers competing with each other because, in a way, each used car is unique with regard, not only, to the way it is equipped, but, also, with regard to its condition and mileage.

If I was looking to buy a new car, I might be willing to walk away from a deal more readily than I would if I was looking to buy a used car. Because of the way used cars are somewhat unique, if I found the car that that really fit my needs, I don't think I'd walk away from the deal for a few hundred dollars because it could be a while before you find another car with similar equipment, similar condition, and similar mileage.
Old 02-26-17, 03:48 PM
OKhunter
Driver School Candidate

If any of this stuff was an actual need I might jump, but most are convienences. I don't need the panorama roof, thigh extension, or for that matter even a Lexus. A stripped down Camry would do the job of collecting miles. I'm just looking for the best deal on as nice of a vehicle that I can warrant. If I can save $50 I don't have to earn it. I completely understand and agree with your sentiment, though. Maybe I'm just cheap, but I guess I'm not easy.
Old 02-26-17, 07:41 PM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If any of this stuff was an actual need I might jump, but most are convienences. I don't need the panorama roof, thigh extension, or for that matter even a Lexus. A stripped down Camry would do the job of collecting miles. I'm just looking for the best deal on as nice of a vehicle that I can warrant. If I can save $50 I don't have to earn it. I completely understand and agree with your sentiment, though. Maybe I'm just cheap, but I guess I'm not easy.
Depends on how much of your life is spent behind the wheel too. While my schedule can fluctuate I still average 10 hours a week commuting (depending on traffic). For me this is the frustration of lost time, doing nothing and making nothing in the process. Frankly I struggle to see why people would rather buy a brand new economy car when they could commute in a used semi luxiourious car like a Lexus ES instead. If the efficiency of an economy car is a concern a used 300H is also an option. Obviously priorities differ but for me Ill take my used $17k 300H with 35mpg over a new $17k economy car with 35mpg any day of the week because I spend so much lost time in the environment. As a bonus, I think my Lexus is a better looking car than most economy cars too...

Last edited by 400to300H; 02-26-17 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-28-17, 01:52 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

$22k OTD means you're getting the vehicle for a hair over $20k before taxes and such. Based on that, and I'm definitely not afraid of mileage on a ES vehicle (it is Lexus' highest volume sedan so I know it's well engineered) I think you have a solid deal.

And as much time as you spend in this vehicle, the thigh support will come in handy...
Old 02-28-17, 04:45 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If I can save $50 I don't have to earn it.
i like it. and live it.

as far as the car goes, buy quality, buy exactly what you want (colors/options/etc.) and keep it "forever". maybe offer to split the difference with the seller - ie $250. $250 amortized over the life of the car is nothing. save when you can, spend when you must.

good luck!
Old 02-28-17, 05:56 PM
OKhunter
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gekko
i like it. and live it.

as far as the car goes, buy quality, buy exactly what you want (colors/options/etc.) and keep it "forever". maybe offer to split the difference with the seller - ie $250. $250 amortized over the life of the car is nothing. save when you can, spend when you must.

good luck!
Well,I went back to finish negotiating the car and agree to the terms and price they'd offered Friday. I guess today was a new day so they jacked the price back up $1,000, wouldn't waive the doc fee, but they'd actually fix the windshield... To say I was pissed is the understatement of the year. I went all the way to the general manager and they just let saying that it was a new day and the deal wasn't valid anymore. Guess I'll keep looking...

Quick Reply: Decent deal?