ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Dropped something behind paassenger seat.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-17, 11:00 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Dropped something behind paassenger seat.

Hi,

I dropped a parking permit either on the side or underneath the front passenger seat.

I tried moving the seat both forward and backwards, and looked under the seat from both behind and in front of it. I can't see the permit. I tried feeling for it, but can't feel it. But I'm pretty sure I saw it fall and slide underneath it.

Is there a way to remove the seat? Can a car shop or dealer help with this? How much would they charge?

Several years ago, I dropped a black Sansa Fuze+ media player underneath the driver seat. I looked around with a flashlight, but couldn't find it. 4 months later, I felt underneath the seat again one day and found it. It was a little scratched, but worked fine.

This seems even worse though because a permit is thinner.
Old 02-14-17, 11:09 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

There isn't an easy way to remove the seat. I have dropped stuff in the seat in the past and I would adjust the seat to the furthest forward and raised to the highest position. Then go to the back seat and shine a flashlight underneath the seat. If I didn't see it, I would adjust the seat tot the furthest back and raised to the highest position. Then go to the front seat and shine a flashlight underneath the seat. Make sure to check near the rails; sometimes there is a small gap where thin things can fall into.
Old 02-14-17, 11:16 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by dchar
There isn't an easy way to remove the seat. I have dropped stuff in the seat in the past and I would adjust the seat to the furthest forward and raised to the highest position. Then go to the back seat and shine a flashlight underneath the seat. If I didn't see it, I would adjust the seat tot the furthest back and raised to the highest position. Then go to the front seat and shine a flashlight underneath the seat. Make sure to check near the rails; sometimes there is a small gap where thin things can fall into.
Let me also try raising the seat height. Good idea.

I think it's on the inner rail side, next to the middle section, but can't be sure because I can't see nor feel it yet.
Old 02-14-17, 11:25 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
+1
That has been my strategy when I've dropped something between one of the seats and the console. Even if you can see what you have dropped, it can still be difficult to actually reach it. If that is the case, I've ended up using something long and skinny to push the object either further forward or further backward to a spot where I can actually reach it.
Old 02-14-17, 11:59 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Ok, with dual flashlight action, I was able to see it and get to it. It was actually on the driver side of the middle section. But wasn't as easy to see until I had both flashlights working.
Old 02-14-17, 01:11 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

It is actually extremely easy to move the front seats. 4 bolts and tilt backwards to reach anything underneath. Takes less than 5 minutes to undo and redo the bolts. A few minutes loinger if you want to actually pull the seats out as you have to disconnect the battery then disconnect the connector under the seat.
Old 02-14-17, 06:59 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ratchey
It is actually extremely easy to move the front seats. 4 bolts and tilt backwards to reach anything underneath. Takes less than 5 minutes to undo and redo the bolts. A few minutes loinger if you want to actually pull the seats out as you have to disconnect the battery then disconnect the connector under the seat.
Can you post a picture of those 4 bolts?
Old 02-14-17, 07:04 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
Can you post a picture of those 4 bolts?
There are a couple of pics of the process in my other post. Not all 4 bolts but they all come out the same way.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...o-upgrade.html

Starts around the 6th pic.