ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2015 es350 tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-17, 11:49 PM
Aryay
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 es350 tires

Need to replace a tire on my 2015 es350, I can't seem to find the exact same tire, its a Michelin p215/55r17 , anyone know which is the same tire that came with the car? Or which to replace with, without compromising anything. I posted a picture of the tire...thanks!

Old 02-14-17, 03:54 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

check out the Michelin Premier A/S. i have them and love them -

A car tire that doesn’t give up grip as it wears
Wet or dry, impressive new Michelin Premier A/S retains traction

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ears/index.htm
Old 02-14-17, 04:14 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Gekko

You are correct about the Michelin's. Tire Rack has them rated #1.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+A%2FS&partnum=155HR7PREAS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Lexus&autoYear=2015&autoModel=ES%20350&autoModClar=
Old 02-14-17, 04:30 AM
Aryay
Driver

Originally Posted by Gekko

Better than the mxm4?

thanks but I'm trying to get 1 that would match the other 3, don't i need them to match? Do you know which tire came with the car?

Last edited by Aryay; 02-14-17 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-14-17, 04:37 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Tire Rack shows this as the original tire. Your tire and the Tire Rack tire both have green X on them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0&autoModClar=
Old 02-14-17, 04:39 AM
Aryay
Driver

Originally Posted by Freds430
Tire Rack shows this as the original tire. Your tire and the Tire Rack tire both have green X on them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0&autoModClar=
Thanks!
So am i better off getting this as its original or ththe premier you were talking about?
Old 02-14-17, 04:59 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Aryay
Thanks!
So am i better off getting this as its original or ththe premier you were talking about?
How many miles do you have on the tires.
Old 02-14-17, 05:48 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I'm assuming, from the discussion so far, that one tire is damaged and no longer serviceable.

If that is the case, just replacing one tire is likely not a good idea. The Michelin tires that you have now started with 9/32 of an inch of tread. If the tires are fairly new and if they now still have, say, 8/32 left on them, replacing just one tire would be fine, but, if the tires have less tread left, just replacing one tire would not be the best option. If the tires have about 7/32 or 6/32 left, you should consider, at a minimum, replacing at least 2 of the tires. If you do that, put the 2 new tires on the front and leave them there a bit longer before rotating the tires, and the tread depth will eventually even out. If you have anything less than 6/32 left on the tires, you would likely be better off replacing all 4 tires. Also note that, if you do replace all 4 tires, you are more likely to find rebates and other special pricing available to you, and the tire dealer may even offer you to trade in the remaining good tires that you have for a (very) little amount of money.

If you do buy just one or two tires, they should be the same MXV4 tires that came with the car. If you are buying a full set of 4 tires, you have a lot more choices. If you want to stick with Michelin tires, your two main choices would be the Premiere line and the MXM4. The Premiere line is touted for retaining better traction as the tire wears, but the MXM4 gives a quieter ride, and it is a rated as a low rolling resistance tire, which should translate into (slightly) better fuel economy. But, if you are replacing all 4 tires, there are other tires besides Michelins that are worth considering. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus tires are the choice of many. Performance is similar to the MXM4, but the Pirelli tires have a better wear rating, and they are significantly less expensive than either of the 2 Michelin choices.
Old 02-14-17, 07:21 AM
Aryay
Driver

Originally Posted by Freds430
How many miles do you have on the tires.
28,000 miles
Old 02-14-17, 07:27 AM
Aryay
Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
I'm assuming, from the discussion so far, that one tire is damaged and no longer serviceable.

If that is the case, just replacing one tire is likely not a good idea. The Michelin tires that you have now started with 9/32 of an inch of tread. If the tires are fairly new and if they now still have, say, 8/32 left on them, replacing just one tire would be fine, but, if the tires have less tread left, just replacing one tire would not be the best option. If the tires have about 7/32 or 6/32 left, you should consider, at a minimum, replacing at least 2 of the tires. If you do that, put the 2 new tires on the front and leave them there a bit longer before rotating the tires, and the tread depth will eventually even out. If you have anything less than 6/32 left on the tires, you would likely be better off replacing all 4 tires. Also note that, if you do replace all 4 tires, you are more likely to find rebates and other special pricing available to you, and the tire dealer may even offer you to trade in the remaining good tires that you have for a (very) little amount of money.

If you do buy just one or two tires, they should be the same MXV4 tires that came with the car. If you are buying a full set of 4 tires, you have a lot more choices. If you want to stick with Michelin tires, your two main choices would be the Premiere line and the MXM4. The Premiere line is touted for retaining better traction as the tire wears, but the MXM4 gives a quieter ride, and it is a rated as a low rolling resistance tire, which should translate into (slightly) better fuel economy. But, if you are replacing all 4 tires, there are other tires besides Michelins that are worth considering. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus tires are the choice of many. Performance is similar to the MXM4, but the Pirelli tires have a better wear rating, and they are significantly less expensive than either of the 2 Michelin choices.
Thanks, so would my best bet be then buying a used one so the thread would match?
I don't think they have much wear as it's 28k miles but i can check and post a picture
Old 02-14-17, 08:54 AM
Aryay
Driver

I'm thinking actually to use the spare and also as well buy a new one, and use the used one with 28k miles as the spare would this work?
Old 02-14-17, 09:03 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Thanks, so would my best bet be then buying a used one so the thread would match?
I don't think they have much wear as it's 28k miles but i can check and post a picture
At 28,000 miles, you are likely down to somewhere between 4/32 and 6/32 of tread left. If that is the case, that means that you are likely down to less than half of the usable tread left. If it was my car and if I had less than 1/2 of the tread left, my decision would be easy, and I'd be buying 4 new tires. You can either stop at a tire dealer and have them measure the tire tread depth or buy a tread gauge at an auto parts store for a couple of dollars, and, then, you would know for sure how much tread you have left.

I'm thinking actually to use the spare and also as well buy a new one, and use the used one with 28k miles as the spare would this work?
The ES does not have a full-size spare. It is just a compact spare. So, you can't use it on the car, except as an emergency spare until you can have a flat repaired or replaced. Again, if, as I suspect, you have less than 1/2 of the tread life left on your tires, it should be an easy decision just to replace all 4 tires because, even if you didn't have an issue now, you would be having to replace the tires before too long anyway.
Old 02-14-17, 09:23 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Adding to what I said in the previous post, you need to have at least 2/32 of tread to be using the tires legally, but I wouldn't be comfortable with anything less than somewhere between 3/32 and 4/32 on the tires before replacing them. And, if I had to drive in winter conditions, I wouldn't want to enter the winter driving season with anything less than 5/32 of tread. Thus, if, as I suspect, you are already down to 5/32 or less of tread, you would likely be needing to replace the tires by no later than next fall. That being the case, there is little point in not just getting 4 new tires now.
Old 02-14-17, 09:31 AM
Aryay
Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
At 28,000 miles, you are likely down to somewhere between 4/32 and 6/32 of tread left. If that is the case, that means that you are likely down to less than half of the usable tread left. If it was my car and if I had less than 1/2 of the tread left, my decision would be easy, and I'd be buying 4 new tires. You can either stop at a tire dealer and have them measure the tire tread depth or buy a tread gauge at an auto parts store for a couple of dollars, and, then, you would know for sure how much tread you have left.

The ES does not have a full-size spare. It is just a compact spare. So, you can't use it on the car, except as an emergency spare until you can have a flat repaired or replaced. Again, if, as I suspect, you have less than 1/2 of the tread life left on your tires, it should be an easy decision just to replace all 4 tires because, even if you didn't have an issue now, you would be having to replace the tires before too long anyway.
Are you sure it doesn't have a full size spare?

Don't these tires usually run for 50-60k miles? So would have some time left on the other 2...

Last edited by Aryay; 02-14-17 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-14-17, 09:34 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Are you sure it doesn't have a full size spare?
In the US it is not an option.

Quick Reply: 2015 es350 tires