ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus ES 350 vs Nissan Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-17, 08:34 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Lexus ES 350 vs Nissan Maxima

Which car do you prefer? Do you consider the maxima a luxury car in the platinum trim? My cousin has been arguing with me about this subject for a while now so I wanted to get some opinions. He says the es is nothing but a souped up Camry, he says the maxima will smoke the es no doubt it is faster but Nissan claims that it is a "sports" sedan while the es is nothing but luxury. Also which car is nicer inside out? Looking forward to the replies.
Old 02-14-17, 12:14 AM
cephas
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a Lexus ES so I'm biased, but here are reasons why to choose the ES over the Maxima:
-Reliability - proven 3.5L V6 with a traditional automatic vs a CVT for the Maxima. The Nissan CVT does not have a great track record for long term reliability no matter what model you investigate. For me, luxury includes not having the headache of repairs.
-Brand Prestige - yes, the ES is based on a Camry/Avalon platform. But a Lexus is a Lexus and the Maxima is not an Infiniti. Also, long-term, being based on the Camry/Avalon is great for parts because it's easy and cheap to get even in future years.
-Resale - absolutely no comparison in terms of which brand retains value.

If sport is the main determiner of which car to get, the ES falls behind. For me, the car is plenty fast, handles well enough and is an extremely comfortable cruiser on my daily long commute. If you love the Nissan, I see no reason not to get it - it's newer, faster and sportier. If you can afford it, the Infiniti Q60 would have a cool factor that's much higher than the Maxima.
Old 02-14-17, 03:44 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cephas
I own a Lexus ES so I'm biased, but here are reasons why to choose the ES over the Maxima:
-Reliability - proven 3.5L V6 with a traditional automatic vs a CVT for the Maxima. The Nissan CVT does not have a great track record for long term reliability no matter what model you investigate. For me, luxury includes not having the headache of repairs.
-Brand Prestige - yes, the ES is based on a Camry/Avalon platform. But a Lexus is a Lexus and the Maxima is not an Infiniti. Also, long-term, being based on the Camry/Avalon is great for parts because it's easy and cheap to get even in future years.
-Resale - absolutely no comparison in terms of which brand retains value.

If sport is the main determiner of which car to get, the ES falls behind. For me, the car is plenty fast, handles well enough and is an extremely comfortable cruiser on my daily long commute. If you love the Nissan, I see no reason not to get it - it's newer, faster and sportier. If you can afford it, the Infiniti Q60 would have a cool factor that's much higher than the Maxima.
Good points, and in terms of looks alone 2016 vs 2016?
Old 02-14-17, 03:48 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

one will depreciate like a rock and the other will not. there's a reason for that.
Old 02-14-17, 04:28 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

Lexus #1 in reliability by Consumer Reports and #1 five years in a row by J D Power. Lexus is #2 behind Toyota in the lowest maintenance cost. Nissan is between Fiat and Jeep in reliability. Wow your brother-in-law's selection process for picking a car is which one will smoke the other!!! The interior and exterior preference between the two is of course a matter of taste but there is no comparison.

http://twocents.lifehacker.com/the-c...ver-1781639773
Attached Thumbnails Lexus ES 350 vs Nissan Maxima-2016_vds_rank_1.jpg  
Old 02-14-17, 05:08 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gekko
one will depreciate like a rock and the other will not. there's a reason for that.
Originally Posted by Freds430
Lexus #1 in reliability by Consumer Reports and #1 five years in a row by J D Power. Lexus is #2 behind Toyota in the lowest maintenance cost. Nissan is between Fiat and Jeep in reliability. Wow your brother-in-law's selection process for picking a car is which one will smoke the other!!! The interior and exterior preference between the two is of course a matter of taste but there is no comparison.

http://twocents.lifehacker.com/the-c...ver-1781639773
Praise the lord there are still some sane people left in the worlds yea I agree and btw he's my cousin lol.
Old 02-14-17, 05:11 AM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I actually had a Maxima Platinum being brought in from another dealership when I changed my mind and bought the ES. Why? The Maxima is sportier looking, maybe faster, sounds more like a sports car and has a great stereo system and if I'd been 18-25 years old it would have been perfect. However, the ES is more refined, quieter, has an incredible ride and just seems more appropriate for an older person like myself.
Old 02-14-17, 05:35 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Funny thing is he said the maxima rides "WAYY SMOOTHER" then the es
Old 02-14-17, 05:41 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Several family members had Maximia's. Nothing but one repair bill after another. Avoid.
Old 02-14-17, 05:45 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

He swears the es is a souped up Camry for old retired folks.
Old 02-14-17, 06:25 AM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah 'rank, we all have cousins........ and they are always right
Old 02-14-17, 12:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

The Maxima is a great car, but very different from the ES. I would consider a Maxima over say a Camry or an Avalon, but not over an ES. The ES is a lot more dignified, refined...the personality of the Maxima is just not my thing.

Is the Maxima a luxury car? No....a Nissan is not a luxury car. It can be a luxurious car, but it carries with it no brand prestige or panache, the ES does. For instance I had a very luxurious and nice Jeep Grand Cherokee. Nicer than many Lexus models...was it a luxury vehicle? No.
Old 02-14-17, 01:00 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The Maxima is a great car, but very different from the ES. I would consider a Maxima over say a Camry or an Avalon, but not over an ES. The ES is a lot more dignified, refined...the personality of the Maxima is just not my thing.

Is the Maxima a luxury car? No....a Nissan is not a luxury car. It can be a luxurious car, but it carries with it no brand prestige or panache, the ES does. For instance I had a very luxurious and nice Jeep Grand Cherokee. Nicer than many Lexus models...was it a luxury vehicle? No.
Exactly my thoughts.
Old 02-14-17, 02:31 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Once upon a time, there was something called the Infiniti I30 -- it was re-badged from the Nissan Maxima. The I30 competed directly against the ES for several generations. Even at that time, the I30 was no match. It could not compete. Infiniti/Nissan ultimately stopped making the I30 because of lagging sales.

So yes, since the ES beat up the I30, it is better than the Maxima.
Old 02-14-17, 03:14 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by azipod
Once upon a time, there was something called the Infiniti I30 -- it was re-badged from the Nissan Maxima. The I30 competed directly against the ES for several generations. Even at that time, the I30 was no match. It could not compete. Infiniti/Nissan ultimately stopped making the I30 because of lagging sales.

So yes, since the ES beat up the I30, it is better than the Maxima.
I owned an 01 I30. It was an excellent car for the money. The fits and finishes were superb and a notch above those on a Maxima, The quality of the interior materials, including the leather, was nicer than that of the Maxima at that time, and the car had better sound insulation than the Maxima. Overall, I had no complaints with the car, and I could find very little difference in quality between it and the first ES that I bought a few years later, and its price was a couple of thousand lower than would have been the price of an ES at that time.

With regard to the question in the OP, it would be hard for me to think of a Maxima and an ES as being similar cars. As someone else said, if I was 20 years old, I think I'd be attracted to the Maxima. Now, the more refined ride quality, higher quality interior materials, quieter cabin, etc. would make me choose an ES and would push me away from a Maxima. Even if I wanted a sportier ride, the Maxima is still a front-wheel drive car, and it is hard for me to think of any FWD car, including the Maxima and the ES, as being truly "sporty".

Quick Reply: Lexus ES 350 vs Nissan Maxima