ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Transporting a lawn mower.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 02:36 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
Ok, I called 4 places other than the official service center.

# 1 doesn't do pick ups.

# 2 does pickups, but charges $80 an hour. It would take an estimated 24 minutes to get to my place, round up and that's $40 just to get to my place. Then if they can repair it, it would be another 30 mins to take it back to their place.

# 3 doesn't work on Black and Decker electric lawn mowers.

# 4, I left a voice mail.

After getting more responses, it seems like the best thing would be to rent a truck the night before. I still don't want to drive the truck during the morning am commute hours, so I'll have to take some time off work during the day to do this and take it to the official service center.
U-Haul charges $20 + $1 per mile.

It's 8.5 miles from the U-Haul pick up center, to my house, to the lawn mower service center. So round trip, at least 17 miles.

How would I secure a lawn mower to an 8" pick up truck?

Add in taxes, and it's at probably at least $45.

Any other options?

Of course, this is only one way. If the service center is able to repair it, but I have to come back another day to pick it up, I'd double the charges.

So it would be $80 - $90 for both dropping off, and picking up on separate days.

At that point, I might as well go with the place that does pick ups. Right?
For something like this, I don't think I'd be looking for the least expensive option. Instead, I'd be looking for one that guarantees that I won't need to be getting work done to repair damage to the interior of the car or to the paint on the outside of the car.
Old 02-09-17, 03:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Right...$50 is a small price to pay to avoid hauling a lawnmower in my $45,000 car.
Old 02-09-17, 04:40 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
For something like this, I don't think I'd be looking for the least expensive option. Instead, I'd be looking for one that guarantees that I won't need to be getting work done to repair damage to the interior of the car or to the paint on the outside of the car.
Right. I was just comparing the cost of renting a U-Haul 8" truck to transport the lawnmower to a service center, or calling the one repair shop that said they would pick up the lawn mower.

The cost appears similar, so then I'd rather not rent a truck to transport it to a service center, but call the one repair shop that said they do pick ups. It wouldn't be more convenient either to rent a 8" U-haul truck.
Old 02-09-17, 04:42 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ratchey
Don't tow it, you will kill someone. (and I am sure he was kidding)

To take out the lower seat, lift up on the lower part of the front of the seat. Move towards the middle about a foot and you will feel where it is secured. Yank straight up really hard. If it doesn't come up yank harder. And I mean really hard. There are 2 clips, one on each side. Once they are released, tilt the seat up and pull forward. No tools needed. Takes about 30 seconds once you get the clips to release.

The back of the seat is much more time consuming and not worth the trouble for this. But if you want to remove it, there are 4 bolts along the bottom. Remove these. Then with all of your strength, pop the seat up to release the clips. Then you have to release the seat belt retaining bars. Then you have to slide the seat out from the seat belts. It weighs about 4 times the bottom section and is difficult to maneuver without scratching something.

Honestly, just put a blanket on the trunk sill and try to slide the mower in. Electric mowers are pretty short. If it doesn't fit all of the way, place another blanket on top and tie the trunk lid down. It has worked for over a century and still works today.
Thanks. This is good info to know, in general.
Old 02-09-17, 06:05 PM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do end up managing to cram the lawnmower in the ES, please for the love of god, post pictures.
The following users liked this post:
wdlugitch (07-05-19)
Old 02-09-17, 06:32 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

# 3 doesn't work on Black and Decker electric lawn mowers.
This is probably not the lawn mower people had in mind when you started this thread. I would think it could easily fit in the trunk, unless it's bigger than what I've seen.
Old 02-09-17, 08:54 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

I did some measurements, because I was curious.

The handle doesn't fold.

So it's about 5 feet end to end.

The trunk depth is about 4 feet. So it would stick out 1 foot. I just wouldn't feel safe like that.

So it comes down to choosing the repair shop with a pick up service, or renting an 8" truck. I'll call the repair shop with the pick up service again to make sure I understand the charges.

If they're going to charge for driving there, picking it up, and also the same for when they return it, that could be 1.5 - 2 hours of charges @ 80 dollars an hour right there.
Old 02-10-17, 03:26 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

To me, it's a luxury car.
Same for me but to some people on this very forum it is not.
Old 02-10-17, 04:57 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

I did some measurements, because I was curious.

The handle doesn't fold.
I'm sure it comes off easily. When you buy them they come in a box ready to be assembled.
Old 02-10-17, 10:32 PM
PAcommuter
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rent a minivan or suv. Those vehicles are set up with seats that remove or fold down at least. Then throw blankets down and lift the mower into the back. Suvs can hold a lot of things and not get damaged. I've moved lawn mowers, mountain bikes, 60" flat screen tvs, even a 50's tanker style metal desk in the back of my suv. I'm sure I maxed out the carry load weight with that desk and my ride was not as comfy after that.
Old 02-11-17, 12:27 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
Old 02-25-17, 08:59 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Just an update on this.

Home Depot offers pickup truck rentals by the hour. It's $20 for the first 75 minutes, and $5 for every 15 minutes afterward.

I did this on Monday.

By the time I finished refueling gas back to the original state, and returned the truck, it was about 85 minutes, so it cost me about $24.

Overall though, this was a good solution.

Rental Trucks or SUVs from rental car companies were going for $80-$100 a day. I would rather have used the repair shop with the pickup service, instead of the rental car companies.

I do have to cover the lawn mower next time though, as it was lightly sprinkling.

The Black and Decker repair shop doesn't do estimates on the spot anymore. They just say the max repair cost will be $80. Whatever needs fixing, the max I'll be charged is $80. If it's less, then I'll be charged less.

That was fine by me.

Now I'm waiting for them to repair it.

Once it's ready, I'll have to rent the truck again from Home Depot.
Old 02-25-17, 09:51 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I think I would rent the Home Depot truck for an hour before I would put a lawnmower in my back seat. Or ask a neighbor. Or buy a new mower and have I delivered.

Dave Mac
If push mower, I'd line the floor of trunk plastic garbage bag, remove handle, load the mower in the trunk.
Most problem(s) with mower is DIY type. If it is beyond that, It;s time for new one.
I have John Deere push mower with Kawasaki engine which is very good.
Old 02-25-17, 09:54 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Just an update on this.

Home Depot offers pickup truck rentals by the hour. It's $20 for the first 75 minutes, and $5 for every 15 minutes afterward.

I did this on Monday.

By the time I finished refueling gas back to the original state, and returned the truck, it was about 85 minutes, so it cost me about $24.

Overall though, this was a good solution.

Rental Trucks or SUVs from rental car companies were going for $80-$100 a day. I would rather have used the repair shop with the pickup service, instead of the rental car companies.

I do have to cover the lawn mower next time though, as it was lightly sprinkling.

The Black and Decker repair shop doesn't do estimates on the spot anymore. They just say the max repair cost will be $80. Whatever needs fixing, the max I'll be charged is $80. If it's less, then I'll be charged less.

That was fine by me.

Now I'm waiting for them to repair it.

Once it's ready, I'll have to rent the truck again from Home Depot.
Some repair shops have pick up/delivery service for mower to repair.
Old 02-25-17, 10:15 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I have to agree with the other sentiments expressed here. Wrong vehicle for transporting bulky lawn equipment. You need to rent an appropriate vehicle or find another means of transporting the equipment. The risk is just too great.
Afraid of little dings or light scratch?, LOL!

Quick Reply: Transporting a lawn mower.