ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus owners and the remote start

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17, 08:33 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Lexus owners and the remote start

I bought two new cars a NX300h for my wife and a ES300h for me both have the free one year Enform remote well mine just ran out 1/31/17 and I was hoping the key FOB would still start the car but NO they disabled that and it will no longer work . I understand Lexus wanting to charge for the Phone app and the other services since it requires systems and data to run even thought it works slow at times not at all but I don't need that. I would think the key FOB would still start the car ( its so difficult to use the key remote to press it 3 times and hold it on the 3rd for 10 sec anyway its a Joke ) I mean is this my car or Lexus's Its paid for and it was not cheap I cant believe that Lexus has the Audacity to think that they will charge me for the rest of my life for the remote start that is in my car that I paid for. Stuff like this makes me made. I am going to look into an after market solution , and unless I can get one I may not buy anther Lexus I know there are other Car manufactures that actually make it easy to start you car from the key remote and you can tell its running and you only pay for it once. I think this move to charge the customer hurts the brand and should be rethought by Lexus I know I am rethinking my loyalty to the brand even thought I love my car and wanted badly to buy the next New ESHybrid I do not like this at all and they may lose a customer
Philip
2016 ES300h
2015 Nx300h
Old 02-04-17, 11:50 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I understand your indignation. I felt the same way at first. I guess I'm over it now and have paid up for the next several years on both of our cars. I favor the built-in remote start over an after market model, even if the long term cost (assuming 4+ years of expected ownership) would likely favor adding an after market unit.

I think the the main source of my anger is likely much like yours, disabling the keyfob after the Enform subscription expires. That just seems like a dirty trick. I understand disabling the app because there is a data connection required that someone has to pay for. But I don't understand disabling the keyfob which costs the manufacturer nothing. This is purely a marketing gimmick to try and force people to buy the subscription just as we ultimately caved and did.

I guess we ultimately decided that we were mad about the principle but the actual cost isn't that big a deal. In addition we get the SOS services as part of the bargain. I do wish they would at least sell the remote service separately. That might mitigate the sting of this dirty trick!
Old 02-04-17, 01:12 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I understand your indignation. I felt the same way at first. I guess I'm over it now and have paid up for the next several years on both of our cars. I favor the built-in remote start over an after market model, even if the long term cost (assuming 4+ years of expected ownership) would likely favor adding an after market unit.

I think the the main source of my anger is likely much like yours, disabling the keyfob after the Enform subscription expires. That just seems like a dirty trick. I understand disabling the app because there is a data connection required that someone has to pay for. But I don't understand disabling the keyfob which costs the manufacturer nothing. This is purely a marketing gimmick to try and force people to buy the subscription just as we ultimately caved and did.

I guess we ultimately decided that we were mad about the principle but the actual cost isn't that big a deal. In addition we get the SOS services as part of the bargain. I do wish they would at least sell the remote service separately. That might mitigate the sting of this dirty trick!
I agree about the Dirty trick and if they left the Key Fob working I would not have a issue with it, but I Disagree about the cost of 4 years is 1436.00 x 2 cars 2872.00 ? when you pay as much as 100k for two cars I would expect much more then this dirty trick. BMW will even pay for all service until 50k and Lexus only the first two oil changes . I find this two is not favorable of the Brand its makes it hard
Brag on this point about Lexus
The app does not work that good in my opinion if it starts your car in only runs for 10 mines and cuts off when you get it so it wont even get the ice off or warm in good in cold winter ,You should be able to control how long it runs and enter with out it shutting off for 359.00 a year
The Main reason I bought a lexus was not to pay for Service cost other then oil changes tries etc I just think they should do better on these points

Philip
Old 02-04-17, 01:32 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

hopefully someone will figure out how to by pass this in a tune...
The following users liked this post:
pgiinc (02-04-17)
Old 02-04-17, 01:56 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ttsport15
hopefully someone will figure out how to by pass this in a tune...
Yes I hope so maybe Lexus will rethink this dirty trick

Philip
Old 02-04-17, 02:04 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

While I can agree with some of what was said in the OP, I can also imagine what Lexus might say in a response.

For the 2013 ES, the RES (key fob operation only) was available with no annual subscription, but it was a $500 factory option. In the 2014 ES model year, the RES+ was available (key fob or cell phone app operation) as a $700 option, and my memory is that there was a $65 annual subscription required to use the starter with the cell phone app, but the key fob operation could be used with or without the annual subscription.

When Lexus replaced the RES and RES+ with the current Enform Remote, they included the hardware on all ES vehicles at no additional cost, but it does require the $250 annual subscription, which includes the Safety Connect and Service Connect services. I suspect that Lexus decided that, instead of making their money on the hardware, as was the case with RES and RES+, they would, with Enform Remote, include the hardware at no additional cost, and make their money on the annual subscriptions.

So, paying for the annual subscription for Enform Remote for 4 years adds up to about the same total cost as was the case with paying the $700 for the RES+ and 4 years worth of the less expensive RES+ annual subscription, but the Enform remote subscription does include the Safety Connect and Service Connect, which the RES+ subscription did not include. Also, the cost of the full suite of Enform, which includes Enform Remote, Safety Connect, Service Connect, and Destination assist, is, at $350 per year, right at the same cost of a similar OnStar annual subscription.

That said, it does strike me as not being right that, if I choose not to pay the annual subscription, I can't even use the key fob remote start function, but then, again, if I didn't have to pay extra for the hardware when I bought the car, I'm not sure how much I can complain that Lexus won't let me use the hardware at all if I choose not to pay for the subscription.
Old 02-04-17, 02:34 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pgiinc
I agree about the Dirty trick and if they left the Key Fob working I would not have a issue with it, but I Disagree about the cost of 4 years is 1436.00 x 2 cars 2872.00 ?
I believe that is the cost for the full suite. We didn't renew the Destination Assist as we just don't use it living in such a rural area. That makes the cost $249 per year and we renewed for only three years. Not trying to minimize your frustration in any way, but you can get the price down some by foregoing the Destination Assist - but you have to call for that pricing as the web link on the post card doesn't give any option but the full suite. We bought with our eyes fully open and knew we would have decisions to make once the complimentary subscription had run out. While it is admittedly annoying, it wouldn't have changed our purchase decision.
Old 02-05-17, 07:02 AM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Just like so many others, I think the OEM remote start is terrible even when it works, and often mine won't work at all (from the key fob). So, can an after market remote start module be installed on a 2016 ES350 that uses the existing key fob? If so, what brand makes it? I'm willing to pay to get over this unexpected frustration!
Old 02-05-17, 07:38 AM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I was trying to start my car last night from my office NG kept saying it couldn't connect lol....Needless to say it was 3 degrees outside so big fail thr
Old 02-05-17, 10:46 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ttsport15
I was trying to start my car last night from my office NG kept saying it couldn't connect lol....Needless to say it was 3 degrees outside so big fail thr
I have to admit it is finicky on both of our vehicles. We occasionally have to hit it a second time, and there have been a few instances where that doesn't work either. Plus, it is admittedly pretty slow. I wonder if Onstar or any of the other brands are as fussy or slow? Fortunately the weather is finally back above freezing and we won't be using it much more this season.
Old 02-05-17, 07:51 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

yes keep the negative comments it coming guys Lexus needs to fix this

After the cool factor of this app wears off you realize how bad the app and the key FOB remote start is and its should be 0.00 as bad as it works They can make a system update to fix the starting procedure with the FOB to make it easier to use ,extend run times and not disable it on the key after 12 months, its my car and I paid for it and they should not be the remote start ****'s and disable it , it would cost them nothing to do it, cause I flat out will not pay the yearly fee I get a work around new car or another brand

Philip
2016 es300h w ultra package list 51,800 msrp and they disabled my remote start, I like to cut something off on there car and see how they feeel
2015 nx300h list 50,900
Old 02-06-17, 04:48 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

I'm not understanding all the anger. This should have been known when purchased. Research is your friend.

Oh, and I have a 2013 with remote start that uses only the key fob. You're not missing much. I haven't used it more than a couple times, due to its distance issues. If my car is in my driveway, I have to go upstairs and point the thing through the window to get it to start.
Old 02-06-17, 05:01 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'm not understanding all the anger. This should have been known when purchased. Research is your friend.

Oh, and I have a 2013 with remote start that uses only the key fob. You're not missing much. I haven't used it more than a couple times, due to its distance issues. If my car is in my driveway, I have to go upstairs and point the thing through the window to get it to start.
No the salesman was uninformed himself as to want would happen after the 12 months
he sold me the car saying yes it has remote start, we couldn't get it to work after pressing the key remote and he said maybe it needs to be activated then you can start it with the remote. The 2016 models with enform remote were new and I don't think he or I new for sure the key remote would no longer work after the 12 months I was hoping that yeah ok the app and all its functions sos texts email etc would stop but I did not think they would actually disable a feature on my car itself
so I guess now every who reads this will now the research is now done
believe me I would have complain when I bought it if I knew

Philip
2016 es300h
2015 nx300h
Old 02-06-17, 05:07 AM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728

At lease now I know its my fault for expecting the remote start to work well, and that I really don't want it anyway....
Old 02-06-17, 05:18 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by pgiinc
No the salesman was uninformed himself as to want would happen after the 12 months
he sold me the car saying yes it has remote start, we couldn't get it to work after pressing the key remote and he said maybe it needs to be activated then you can start it with the remote. The 2016 models with enform remote were new and I don't think he or I new for sure the key remote would no longer work after the 12 months I was hoping that yeah ok the app and all its functions sos texts email etc would stop but I did not think they would actually disable a feature on my car itself
so I guess now every who reads this will now the research is now done
believe me I would have complain when I bought it if I knew

Philip
2016 es300h
2015 nx300h
You should have come here and asked. It's been a known issue since it first came out with the 2015's.

Quick Reply: Lexus owners and the remote start