ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus owners and the remote start

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-17, 05:18 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'm not understanding all the anger. This should have been known when purchased. Research is your friend.

Oh, and I have a 2013 with remote start that uses only the key fob. You're not missing much. I haven't used it more than a couple times, due to its distance issues. If my car is in my driveway, I have to go upstairs and point the thing through the window to get it to start.
you have to do that with the brand new 2017 remote key FOB when the enform is activated of course, but at least with yours I bet the parking light indicate the car is running? with the Lexus there is no indicator unless you look inside the car you can see the nav screen light another issue that should be corrected

Philip
Old 02-06-17, 05:28 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

You should have come here and asked. It's been a known issue since it first came out with the 2015's.
I bet you cant get a salesmen to say no it will not work unless you pay the yearly subscription they remain Vague and 2015 model don't find out until year end right
Old 02-06-17, 05:45 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by pgiinc
I bet you cant get a salesmen to say no it will not work unless you pay the yearly subscription they remain Vague and 2015 model don't find out until year end right
There were questions regarding it early in 2015. See THIS post. I think it was also proven, but I can't easily find the thread right now.

If I had the option to remote start via my phone, I would pay for it. I had a Viper Smart Start in my previous car and loved it! It wasn't free, either. I could start and unlock the car for across the country. Not a big need to start it from that far, but I did need to use the unlock feature once for my wife. Like I said, the key fob start is pretty useless. You need to be within a hundred feet and have a clear sight of the vehicle for it to work. Not missing much.
Old 02-06-17, 01:14 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I'm not understanding all the anger. This should have been known when purchased. Research is your friend.

Oh, and I have a 2013 with remote start that uses only the key fob. You're not missing much. I haven't used it more than a couple times, due to its distance issues. If my car is in my driveway, I have to go upstairs and point the thing through the window to get it to start.
Also, you had to pay $500 for your RES as an added option to the MSRP of the car, and those who bought a 2014 ES with RES+ had $700 added to the MSRP. For those who have a 2015-2017 ES with Enform Remote Start, it came with the car at no additional cost.

While I can fully accept the legitimacy of the complaints about the functioning of the Enform Remote Start, including those related to the 10 minute engine shut off or the engine shutting off when the doors are opened, I have a harder time accepting the legitimacy of complaints about Lexus requiring a paid Enform subscription to be able to use the remote start that was included in the car at no additional cost. It is much like the satellite radio. It comes in the car at no cost to the buyer, but, if you choose to use it, you are required to have a paid subscription. If you choose not to use it, it costs you nothing.

If you decide that you don't like the Enform Remote Start and if choose not to use it, it costs you nothing. If, on the other hand, you do choose to use it, I find nothing worthy of complaint with the idea that Lexus charges for an annual subscription to recover the cost of (and to make a profit from) the hardware that they put into the car at no additional cost to the buyer.

When the OP was made, I would have assumed that the thoughts of both those who agreed and of those who disagreed were welcome, but, from subsequent posts, it is clear that the OP is only interested in hearing from those who agree with him.
Old 02-07-17, 02:59 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I've developed a migraine with trying to understand the differences between RES, RES+, ENFORM+, ENFORM-, the 2013 vs 2014 vs 2015 vs 2016 vs 2017!

Some food for thought.......the factory remote start (no subscription/extra charge required) on my 2012 FORD F150 works from the middle of the 2nd floor of a 2,750 sq/ft house, while the truck is parked in the 3 car garage, or up to about 14 ROWS of cars away in a shopping mall, for example. And that's no exaggeration by any means.

The F150 stays running (no subscription/extra charge required) when you open the door to the truck. The parking lights also illuminate (no subscription/extra charge required) when the truck is running.

Remote start is NOWHERE NEAR the comparison to paid subscription like satellite radio. Plain and simple-----as many of you loathe to hear this, but Lexus is making owners pay for remote start because Lexus knows most of the owners won't balk at it!!!

Come to think of it, my parent's 2011 BUICK REGAL has a remote start, which, as you might guess (or maybe not for the head over heel Lexus fanatics), has NO SUBSCRIPTION FEE/NO EXTRA CHARGE REQUIRED!

Face it-----Lexus REALLY shoved it up the ES owner's tailpipes with the remote start "feature!" (don't flame me for being the messenger either, lol)
Old 02-07-17, 03:03 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Same here my 15 explorer gives me the option to stay running with remote start from 7-10-15 min and stays running with ldoors open free of charge
Old 02-07-17, 03:49 PM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

My question again: Does ANYONE know if there is an aftermarket remote starter that works for the 2016 ES that uses the OEM key fob?
Old 02-07-17, 04:57 PM
Ssnva1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by modad
My question again: Does ANYONE know if there is an aftermarket remote starter that works for the 2016 ES that uses the OEM key fob?
I just had remote start installed Saturday. It works from my Lexus key fob. Push lock 3xs. Works from inside my house and upstairs. It was $250 installed. I've wanted it for years and it wasn't an option on my 2014 ES. I love it! Although it's been 70 degrees since then here in Richmond.

Ill call tomorrow to see if they will tell me the name brand. One thing- they couldn't bypass it cutting off when you open the door. It does stay started for 23 mins.
The following users liked this post:
modad (02-07-17)
Old 02-07-17, 05:14 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssnva1
I just had remote start installed Saturday. It works from my Lexus key fob. Push lock 3xs. Works from inside my house and upstairs. It was $250 installed. I've wanted it for years and it wasn't an option on my 2014 ES. I love it! Although it's been 70 degrees since then here in Richmond.

Ill call tomorrow to see if they will tell me the name brand. One thing- they couldn't bypass it cutting off when you open the door. It does stay started for 23 mins.
Such an aftermarket 3rd party remote starter might work with a 2016 or 2017 ES, but I don't think that is a certainty. With the 2016 and 2017 ES having the Enform Remote system coming at no additional charge on all 2016 and 2017 ES and with the way that the system completely disables the remote start capabilities if you don't have a paid Enform subscription, we don't know for sure whether there is something in the electronics of the car that would also disable an aftermarket starter in the same way if you don't have an Enform subscription. My thinking is that it might work, but I couldn't say with absolute certainty that it would. I would hope that the 3rd party manufacturer would be able to provide more certain information about whether their product would work with a 2016 or 2017 ES or whether it would only work with a 2013-2015 ES.
Old 02-09-17, 07:38 PM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought two new cars a NX300h for my wife and a ES300h for me both have the free one year Enform remote well mine just ran out 1/31/17 and I was hoping the key FOB would still start the car but NO they disabled that and it will no longer work . I understand Lexus wanting to charge for the Phone app and the other services since it requires systems and data to run even thought it works slow at times not at all but I don't need that. I would think the key FOB would still start the car ( its so difficult to use the key remote to press it 3 times and hold it on the 3rd for 10 sec anyway its a Joke ) I mean is this my car or Lexus's Its paid for and it was not cheap I cant believe that Lexus has the Audacity to think that they will charge me for the rest of my life for the remote start that is in my car that I paid for. Stuff like this makes me made. I am going to look into an after market solution , and unless I can get one I may not buy anther Lexus I know there are other Car manufactures that actually make it easy to start you car from the key remote and you can tell its running and you only pay for it once. I think this move to charge the customer hurts the brand and should be rethought by Lexus I know I am rethinking my loyalty to the brand even thought I love my car and wanted badly to buy the next New ESHybrid I do not like this at all and they may lose a customer
Philip
2016 ES300h
2015 Nx300h
so you can't use the fob remote start unless you pay? Or do you have to pay for using a remote start Lexus app on your phone? am I understanding this correctly?
Old 02-09-17, 07:45 PM
615tpc
Driver

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
I've developed a migraine with trying to understand the differences between RES, RES+, ENFORM+, ENFORM-, the 2013 vs 2014 vs 2015 vs 2016 vs 2017!

Some food for thought.......the factory remote start (no subscription/extra charge required) on my 2012 FORD F150 works from the middle of the 2nd floor of a 2,750 sq/ft house, while the truck is parked in the 3 car garage, or up to about 14 ROWS of cars away in a shopping mall, for example. And that's no exaggeration by any means.

The F150 stays running (no subscription/extra charge required) when you open the door to the truck. The parking lights also illuminate (no subscription/extra charge required) when the truck is running.

Remote start is NOWHERE NEAR the comparison to paid subscription like satellite radio. Plain and simple-----as many of you loathe to hear this, but Lexus is making owners pay for remote start because Lexus knows most of the owners won't balk at it!!!

Come to think of it, my parent's 2011 BUICK REGAL has a remote start, which, as you might guess (or maybe not for the head over heel Lexus fanatics), has NO SUBSCRIPTION FEE/NO EXTRA CHARGE REQUIRED!

Face it-----Lexus REALLY shoved it up the ES owner's tailpipes with the remote start "feature!" (don't flame me for being the messenger either, lol)
cadillac includes a remote start fob on the CTS and it is free. Cadillac also includes a free phone app which allows remote start, door lock unlock, fuel /tire pressure/oil/odometer check all of which is free to use for the first 5 years. They also include a wifi network in the car also great with onstar emergency but those aren't free.
Old 02-10-17, 04:47 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 615tpc
so you can't use the fob remote start unless you pay? Or do you have to pay for using a remote start Lexus app on your phone? am I understanding this correctly?
If you don't pay, neither will work.
Old 02-10-17, 06:38 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

lets say that you can not buy remote start on you new Lexus cars, the only way you can have remote start is to purchase/lease the use of it extra from Lexus on you car and pay for it! get this guys? every year for the rest of you Lexus ownership and if you stop paying this extra you don't have it anymore period.
So you can not buy a new Lexus and have remote start included in the purchase but for the first 12 months they let it work, then you have to lease it rent it call it what you want, you don't own this part of your own car. Lexus determines if it starts remotely or notPhilip2016es300h2015nx300h
Old 02-10-17, 06:56 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

lets say that you can not buy remote start on you new Lexus cars, the only way you can have remote start is to purchase/lease the use of it extra from Lexus on you car and pay for it! get this guys? every year for the rest of you Lexus ownership and if you stop paying this extra you don't have it anymore period.
So you can not buy a new Lexus and have remote start included in the purchase but for the first 12 months they let it work, then you have to lease it rent it call it what you want, you don't own this part of your own car. Lexus determines if it starts remotely or notPhilip2016es300h2015nx300h
I don't see why you couldn't have a third party remote start installed. All they would need to do is unhook the factory wiring. It may even be easier to do than starting from scratch.
Old 02-10-17, 07:44 AM
615tpc
Driver

If you don't pay, neither will work.
This is sad. For a luxury car, this should be standard.

Quick Reply: Lexus owners and the remote start