ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

New 2017 Base ES350

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 07:45 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New 2017 Base ES350

I started on this forum as a 2004 RX330 owner, went to a 2004 GX470, then to a 2011 CT200h and in the middle of all that, I had an 1992 SC400. I am a Lexus/Toyota guy at heart...so I'm somewhat biased.

Today, as a company vehicle, I just purchased a 2017 ES350 base model, non-leather, non-nav. I did not have a trade the company will pay cash. I got it for $35K +TTL. It is black/black. I looked at the Caviar and to me, it looked like it was dirty black. I didn't like it. I kept wanting to wipe the dust off, but I guess that's the look people want. I liked the Nebula grey interior but they didn't have a black/grey so I went with black on black. With a good tint job, I think it will look sharp. I'll get that taken care of in the next couple weeks.

Overall Impression
I didn't even consider an ES since I thought at 36, they were meant for someone older. When I took my wife's CT in for an oil change back in December, they gave me a 2016 ES loaner. WOW, the ES has changed in the last 3-4 years.. I was very impressed, extremely smooth ride, handling in the corners has improved and while it definitely isn't sporty, it is much better than the model before it.

I had the Nuluxe in my 2011 CT and after 6 years, it held up outstanding, no signs of wear and I although I wanted the memory seats that the leather offers, I am OK with Nuluxe again. Also, leather would have taken the price out of my budget.

There is TONS of rear legroom. I have read that this is the first generation to be based on the Avalon chasis, and wow, tons of rear legroom. I'm 6'2" and with the front seat where I drive from, I can get in the backseat no problem.

I love the "heavy" front door. The car is isolated from the road and is definitely the quietest Lexus I have driven. The steering might be soft, but it works for me. I wouldn't call it sporty at all, but it handles well, cruises like no other and definitely has the Lexus "feel".

There are plenty of reviews of people with optioned ES models, but very few reviews or comments regarding the Base model. If anyone has any questions, ask away!

I'll post some pictures soon...
Old 01-22-17, 12:19 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Congrats!!!
Old 01-22-17, 02:45 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Yes, congrats on your new purchase. By the way, you can have memory seats without leather. I'm guessing it must be part of the Premium package because I have memory seats with my NuLuxe.
Old 01-22-17, 03:46 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Unfortunately, I couldn't get anything more expensive, so couldn't even push for it. Thanks for the info on the memory seat info.

Having driven it around today, I noticed it has lane departure assist...and I think I read that for 2017 they added additional safety features as standard, including the lane departure assist. I'm sure there are more features I'll figure out. I haven't setup the Lexus Connect App, but pretty excited to see how all that works.

So far so good! Rides very smooth, corners decently, plenty of power and plenty of room!
Old 01-22-17, 04:25 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by tftimm
Unfortunately, I couldn't get anything more expensive, so couldn't even push for it. Thanks for the info on the memory seat info.

Having driven it around today, I noticed it has lane departure assist...and I think I read that for 2017 they added additional safety features as standard, including the lane departure assist. I'm sure there are more features I'll figure out. I haven't setup the Lexus Connect App, but pretty excited to see how all that works.

So far so good! Rides very smooth, corners decently, plenty of power and plenty of room!
Yes, starting with the 2017 model year, the lane departure warning and pre-collision system became standard. Other safety features, including the blind spot warning and parking assist are still separate options.
Old 01-22-17, 05:31 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Post pics. Would love too see your beauty. You will enjoy it for years to come, it's about to be a year with with my loaded 16 and I couldn't be more happy. Congrats as well.
Old 01-22-17, 06:47 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Try switching it to sport mode. To me it feels like the steering tightens up and handles a little better.
Old 01-23-17, 02:40 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

A couple of pictures before I left for work this AM. It rained when I was going to pick it up, but so far...so good.
Attached Thumbnails New 2017 Base ES350-es350-2.jpg   New 2017 Base ES350-es350-1.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Nohnv (01-24-17)
Old 01-23-17, 07:50 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

A couple of pictures before I left for work this AM. It rained when I was going to pick it up, but so far...so good.
I am very pleased with the lane keep assist (Lexus named it lane departure warning with steering assist or something like that) in conjunction with the DRCC which you should have on your car. It is great to have the car keeping you in the lane and slowing down automatically when needed.
Old 01-24-17, 09:14 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

I am interested to see how this DRCC works. I didn't have the salesman go over the car and explain everything. I'm kind of a no-bs guy. I love Lexus/Toyota and so he didn't need to sell me on the car and finding out later these little features is neat.
Old 01-24-17, 05:37 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

I am interested to see how this DRCC works. I didn't have the salesman go over the car and explain everything. I'm kind of a no-bs guy. I love Lexus/Toyota and so he didn't need to sell me on the car and finding out later these little features is neat.
It works the way it should: you set a cruise control speed. Your car will keep a distance (3 different distances can be set) from the vehicle ahead of you (depend on your driving style). On top of being able to select from 3 different distances, the selected distance will further vary depend on your current speed (smart ha) as you need more stopping distance at higher speed. When the car in front of you slow down, you car will automatically slow down to maintain the distance. When the car in front of you speeds up or changes out of your lane, DRCC will increase your speed up to the set speed.
Old 01-24-17, 07:01 PM
Nohnv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! She's a beaut!
Old 01-24-17, 07:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Congratulations! Great company car!
Old 02-04-17, 02:18 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Be sure to add Scout GPS Link to your phone.
When away from the car you can preselect destinations
to use while driving and while driving you can voice
command for turn by turn directions. Works well.

Dial the console **** around to INFO and check
out Weather and Traffic. You will need to occasionally
be tuned to an HD AM or FM channel to refresh the
information but you now have the Weather Channel
and up to date Traffic information for free forever!
Old 02-05-17, 05:10 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2016 and my weather/traffic has never worked.

Quick Reply: New 2017 Base ES350