ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

New 2017 Base ES350

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-17, 06:54 AM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tftimm
I started on this forum as a 2004 RX330 owner, went to a 2004 GX470, then to a 2011 CT200h and in the middle of all that, I had an 1992 SC400. I am a Lexus/Toyota guy at heart...so I'm somewhat biased.

Today, as a company vehicle, I just purchased a 2017 ES350 base model, non-leather, non-nav. I did not have a trade the company will pay cash. I got it for $35K +TTL. It is black/black. I looked at the Caviar and to me, it looked like it was dirty black. I didn't like it. I kept wanting to wipe the dust off, but I guess that's the look people want. I liked the Nebula grey interior but they didn't have a black/grey so I went with black on black. With a good tint job, I think it will look sharp. I'll get that taken care of in the next couple weeks.

Overall Impression
I didn't even consider an ES since I thought at 36, they were meant for someone older. When I took my wife's CT in for an oil change back in December, they gave me a 2016 ES loaner. WOW, the ES has changed in the last 3-4 years.. I was very impressed, extremely smooth ride, handling in the corners has improved and while it definitely isn't sporty, it is much better than the model before it.

I had the Nuluxe in my 2011 CT and after 6 years, it held up outstanding, no signs of wear and I although I wanted the memory seats that the leather offers, I am OK with Nuluxe again. Also, leather would have taken the price out of my budget.

There is TONS of rear legroom. I have read that this is the first generation to be based on the Avalon chasis, and wow, tons of rear legroom. I'm 6'2" and with the front seat where I drive from, I can get in the backseat no problem.

I love the "heavy" front door. The car is isolated from the road and is definitely the quietest Lexus I have driven. The steering might be soft, but it works for me. I wouldn't call it sporty at all, but it handles well, cruises like no other and definitely has the Lexus "feel".

There are plenty of reviews of people with optioned ES models, but very few reviews or comments regarding the Base model. If anyone has any questions, ask away!

I'll post some pictures soon...
My 2013 ES was nearly base. I had to switch out the Michelin mxv4 for mxm4 XL to improve high speed lane changes (too much body roll IMO). I also swapped out all the speakers for Polk speakers and it made a world of difference. The base Lexus sub is decent. The speakers that came out of it are sad and undeserving of any kind of "premium" label IMO. I don't know if they improved the stereo at all since then but mine has no controls to turnoff whatever surround sound that is being pumped through those speakers. Sounds tinny at times. Rest I think the car is awesome and an amazing value for money.
Old 06-25-17, 01:02 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ES350 Base- Update after 5 months

My ES350 now has 9500 miles and is 5 months old. A few comments...

1) I would definitely get the black interior (beige and grey are too light and I think would show too much) but I think I would get a lighter exterior color. Although I love the black after I got it tinted, it shows EVERYTHING.
2) The car is smooth. It is an easy car to drive. I never get tired driving it, even in heavy traffic. It handles fine and is nice and quiet. Cruising at 85mph is like 60mph...quiet and smooth.
3) Even the base has plenty of options. I would like to have the parking assist and memory seats, but not necessary. I still think for $35K+TTL it is a heck of a car.
4) The back seats and also the truck are huge. Plenty of room, even with my seat where it is (I'm 6'1") and there is PLENTY of room behind me for an adult.

I'll be taking it soon for the 10K mile service/oil change. Knock on wood, but no issues so far....loving it!
Old 06-25-17, 04:51 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Glad to hear you are enjoying your ES. We have the black interior and contemplated trading after a year because as you mentioned above, "black shows everything". We didn't like the brown or gray interiors on the 2016 so we held on to our ES. We have really enjoyed just about every other aspect of the car, including the Atomic Silver exterior color. In our experience, the lighter colored interiors are just easier to keep looking nice (at least for someone as OCD as me). Now to be fair, we have no kids or pets (very rarely food) in the car so just adult passengers to clean up after.

Black interior is harder to keep looking good in my humble opinion. It would also seem like black would be hotter too.

My preference after two Lexus vehicles in Parchment, one black and one a mix of both, would be a lighter color hands down. Everything is relative I suppose.
Old 06-27-17, 11:07 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 877 Likes on 661 Posts

615tpc - open up the Sound button in the lower right corner of any audio source.
Separate treble/mid/bass show and then go to DSP (Digital Signal Processing)
and turn Auto Sound Level and Surround on or off.
Old 06-28-17, 07:39 AM
TxESDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Glad to hear you are enjoying your ES. We have the black interior and contemplated trading after a year because as you mentioned above, "black shows everything". We didn't like the brown or gray interiors on the 2016 so we held on to our ES. We have really enjoyed just about every other aspect of the car, including the Atomic Silver exterior color. In our experience, the lighter colored interiors are just easier to keep looking nice (at least for someone as OCD as me). Now to be fair, we have no kids or pets (very rarely food) in the car so just adult passengers to clean up after.

Black interior is harder to keep looking good in my humble opinion. It would also seem like black would be hotter too.

My preference after two Lexus vehicles in Parchment, one black and one a mix of both, would be a lighter color hands down. Everything is relative I suppose.
I recently purchased a 2017 ES (Obsidian/Flaxen). It's my second ES and third black car. You are absolutely correct that it's harder to keep looking good. I've also owned white and silver cars, but I just love the look of a clean black car. I don't mind the dust and dirt so much, it's the swirls that develop in the paint when you use the wrong kind of car wash that drive me nuts so I only allow hand washing.

At any rate, it came down to Atomic Silver or Obsidian. In my previous ES I had Parchment interior and in other cars I've either had beige or black leather interiors so I really wanted something different which was Flaxen. Atomic Silver is beautiful, but I liked the pairing of Obsidian/Flaxen better than Atomic Silver/Flaxen. Atomic/Flaxen just had too many colors or something (silver, chocolate brown, caramel), just too much for me.
Old 06-28-17, 11:52 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

I love how black cars look when they are brand new, but they just don't seem to hold up well in the southwest. Just a lot of sun and dust and they look "old" in a few short years unless someone is really **** about how they wash and wax it.
Old 06-29-17, 07:42 AM
Dstu10
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tftimm
My ES350 now has 9500 miles and is 5 months old. A few comments...

1) I would definitely get the black interior (beige and grey are too light and I think would show too much) but I think I would get a lighter exterior color. Although I love the black after I got it tinted, it shows EVERYTHING.
2) The car is smooth. It is an easy car to drive. I never get tired driving it, even in heavy traffic. It handles fine and is nice and quiet. Cruising at 85mph is like 60mph...quiet and smooth.
3) Even the base has plenty of options. I would like to have the parking assist and memory seats, but not necessary. I still think for $35K+TTL it is a heck of a car.
4) The back seats and also the truck are huge. Plenty of room, even with my seat where it is (I'm 6'1") and there is PLENTY of room behind me for an adult.

I'll be taking it soon for the 10K mile service/oil change. Knock on wood, but no issues so far....loving it!
I just purchased a very similar ES with the base premium package. It's a very nice car and definitely not an "old persons" car. I'm only 32 and love driving the car. Sure there are days I wish I had a small 3 series or IS to drive like a mad man but on most days the ES is a pleasure to drive and has plenty power. And I agree the car is built better than anything else in the class.