Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Why I Sold My ES300h and Trying Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 07:35 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Looks great swfla!
Old 01-21-17, 07:44 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

It's a sharp and classy looking car.

Congratulations and good luck with it.
Old 01-22-17, 08:56 AM
sanyata
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by er34
Guess you never seen an air filter change on a 991... Hint: standard procedure involves removing the rear bumper.
Originally Posted by Gekko
wow! i wonder what the Porsche dealer charges for this!

Engine Air Filter Change Replacement - Porsche 991 911 2012+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWU7beZdWNY
The guy in the youtube was obviously an amateur DIYer doing the bumper removal for the first time. A factory trained and experienced mechanic could do the removal in about ten minutes probably less. But that's not to say they don't "book it" at a much higher rate. It takes me fifteen minutes tops to remove the bumper on my 996TT. Bumper removal sounds worst than it really is and Porsches are actually pretty well thought out for servicing especially given the tight packaging.
But to stay on topic, I'm getting 33mpg (hand calculated) on average which I'm pretty disappointed with given the EPA sticker of 40/39. I really would have loved getting a German sedan but the mileage, depreciation and reliability issues drove me to Lexus. OP did good given the extended warranties. Very nice ride with fit and finish probably much nicer than the ES.
Old 01-22-17, 03:42 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
I've attached a few photos of my new ride as well.
Thanks for the eye candy! Absolutely gorgeous car swfla!
Old 01-23-17, 08:38 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

I've joined a Mercedes forum and done even more research on my year/model. It's called a W212 and has been in production since 2010. Aesthetics change with new model years but essentially it been debugged for 7 years now. As such, there are opinions that this may be a series that will be considered most reliable and desirable to own as a used model for many years to come. I certainly hope they're right The fit and finish is very nice. I was surprised that the paint (although very good) isn't up to LS460 standards, which you may be aware is hand finished.
I'm in the process of installing paint film on the front and rear bumpers as well as headlights and door edge guards. It's from a company called invisible shield.com, they have 3 choices for quality of film and so far have been very good with customer service. The rear bumper and headlights are now cured after 3 days and look very good, near invisible. The front bumper will be done last as it's a full pattern that looks like a spider with all it's tendrils. They gave me a hint, cut it in half with the seam in the center of the bumper. Because CA requires a front license plate, it'll hide the seam. I was a bit concerned about handling 8 ft of sticky film. Feeling very confident about handling 4 ft now!
Old 01-23-17, 07:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Very nice car...huge upgrade from the ES.

Yeah I was at a MB dealer the other day and I was surprised that their paint wasn't all that great, its nice on the S Class, but on the cheaper cars its not super. Lexus is the same way, but their paint on the base cars is better IMHO. The hand sanded paint on the LS460 like you said is the best paint job I've had on a car...
Old 01-25-17, 09:20 PM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 400to300H
My 13 has 105k miles, purchased at 102k so still testing but my initial milage was 34 mpg in eco with lots of traffic in the Portland Ore area. Normal mode it was reduced to 30 mpg. I've used one tank with fuel system cleaner and may benefit with a second treatment not knowing how often (if ever) the previous owner did it. His maintance was impeccable but regular injector cleaning can easily be overlooked. Even still I doubt I'll ever see published mpg even with continuing regular maintance.
Maybe I spoke too soon, happy to report my last tank was good for 37 mpg. It was really cold for that 34mpg tank and perhaps the cold temperatures has a greater affect on my milage than I thought. Cold snap is over and perhaps as we roll into spring my milage will continue to improve, perhaps even realizing published.
Old 01-26-17, 07:00 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Maybe I spoke too soon, happy to report my last tank was good for 37 mpg. It was really cold for that 34mpg tank and perhaps the cold temperatures has a greater affect on my milage than I thought. Cold snap is over and perhaps as we roll into spring my milage will continue to improve, perhaps even realizing published.
I've never owned a hybrid vehicle. So, I don't know what the extent of reduction in mpg can be for a hybrid vehicle when the temperatures get colder, but I know that, for the vehicles that I've owned with ICEs, the drop in fuel economy can be 25% or more when outside temperatures drop to very low levels.

Fuel economy is significantly lower until the engine reaches normal operating temperatures. When it is cold outside, it takes the engine longer to reach those normal operating temperatures, and that means that the car will be operating with lower fuel efficiency for a longer period of time. Also, fuel economy takes an even bigger hit in cold weather if you are taking lots of short trips because, when you are doing so, the engine has to warm up repeatedly, and that means that there is going to be an even greater percentage of time when the engine is warming up and a smaller percentage of time when it is operating at normal operating temperatures.
Old 01-26-17, 07:02 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I've read from others that cold weather will reduce your mileage. I would have been happy with 37mpg. What really ticked me off is when the regional tech rep hooked up his laptop to the car, we took it for a drive to critique my driving style. We drove for 10 minutes, getting 28 mpg, he agreed no problem with my driving style. Then we took a 10 minute drive towards the beaches, which is a gentle downhill trek and he said we were getting "34 mpg, that's not bad". Hell, going downhill, we should be getting over 40 mpg. it's the best possible scenario for good fuel economy. No one from Lexus would acknowledge that there was a problem with the car because the computer didn't show any system problems, ignoring the actual fuel economy as a sign of a problem. It was a classic "gaslighting" situation. I was so disappointed in Lexus, it overshadowed all the good they had done over the many years I've owned other models.
Old 01-26-17, 07:08 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by swfla
I've joined a Mercedes forum and done even more research on my year/model. It's called a W212 and has been in production since 2010. Aesthetics change with new model years but essentially it been debugged for 7 years now. As such, there are opinions that this may be a series that will be considered most reliable and desirable to own as a used model for many years to come. I certainly hope they're right The fit and finish is very nice. I was surprised that the paint (although very good) isn't up to LS460 standards, which you may be aware is hand finished.
I'm in the process of installing paint film on the front and rear bumpers as well as headlights and door edge guards. It's from a company called invisible shield.com, they have 3 choices for quality of film and so far have been very good with customer service. The rear bumper and headlights are now cured after 3 days and look very good, near invisible. The front bumper will be done last as it's a full pattern that looks like a spider with all it's tendrils. They gave me a hint, cut it in half with the seam in the center of the bumper. Because CA requires a front license plate, it'll hide the seam. I was a bit concerned about handling 8 ft of sticky film. Feeling very confident about handling 4 ft now!
UPDATE ON FILM: Compound curves are a real challenge to any installer. In my opinion, a professional installer is the way to go. The front end install was a total botch job for me, even when cut into manageable size. The film needs to be stretched around curves, often creating wrinkles that are a bear to smooth out. I'm glad I tried my best, it makes failure easier to accept.
Old 01-26-17, 10:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My Highlander Hybrid gets 2 mpg lower in the winter than the summer (28 vs 26 mpg).
Old 01-26-17, 10:44 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It's been a minute but congrats on the new car. I have own a number of Lexus and Mercedes vehicles. I think for the past 5 years the cost of maintenance between the two are over hype imo on this forum.
While the Lexus service repair cost may be cheaper. The number of times you visit the dealer fro service/maintenance is more so in the end you end up pay almost the same amount.
What I do know is that you get more attention in every Benz than any Lexus unless your driving a LFA. People seem to admire Benz a lot more no matter if it's a C class or S. My wifey just scoop up a new E350 MB which she loves to death. She mention she should have purchase a 5 series but I won't even begin that topic. The only thing I hate about the car is the (cut engine feature) is sucks.
Old 01-26-17, 12:58 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
It's been a minute but congrats on the new car. I have own a number of Lexus and Mercedes vehicles. I think for the past 5 years the cost of maintenance between the two are over hype imo on this forum.
While the Lexus service repair cost may be cheaper. The number of times you visit the dealer fro service/maintenance is more so in the end you end up pay almost the same amount.
What I do know is that you get more attention in every Benz than any Lexus unless your driving a LFA. People seem to admire Benz a lot more no matter if it's a C class or S. My wifey just scoop up a new E350 MB which she loves to death. She mention she should have purchase a 5 series but I won't even begin that topic. The only thing I hate about the car is the (cut engine feature) is sucks.
Even forgetting the attached study that shows Mercedes is the second most expensive to maintain and Lexus is the second least expensive to maintain have to disagree. My Lexus requires the oil to be changed every 10,000 miles and the brake fluid to be changed every 30,000 miles and that is it for the first 100,000 miles. That totals $850 that I spend on the first 100,000 miles. Cabin and air filter every 30,000 miles adds $120.

http://twocents.lifehacker.com/the-c...ver-1781639773
Old 01-26-17, 01:44 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm going off my own experiences. My Lexus vehicle oil change occurs every 5 to 7k not at 10k.
I think people here are still living in the past on MB reliable. A fully loaded S class is like driving a spaceship so it's going to cost a little more when something breaks.
I think you need to visit some of the dealers in the DC Metro Area. I guarantee two visits to the Lexus dealership for a significant service is going to cost you well over 1k.
Old 01-26-17, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

To add fuel to the fire about cost, getting quotes for the 30k service for my LS460, low is $500 high is $800 from local dealers, this is for an oil change, tire rotation, cabin and engine air filters, brake fluid change and a smart key battery...so Lexus vehicles ain't cheap to maintain either. Not sure how you're figuring $850 for the first 100k. Here the 5k service is $100, 10k service is $200, Like I said, one dealer wanted to charge me $800 for just the 30k service, so for my car to have it all done at the dealer is potentially $1,200 just for the first 30k miles.

You can take a Mercedes to an independent mechanic same as a Lexus.

Quick Reply: Why I Sold My ES300h and Trying Mercedes