ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Rusty Bolts and screws on the door hinge

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-17, 04:25 PM
HsunL14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty Bolts and screws on the door hinge

Hello, I have found that the bolts on the doors are rusty. I was told by the dealership that the rusts are normal. But I would very much like to hear what you guys think. I personally find the rusts concerning especially when I think about how it could lead to squeaky doors and the rust would come off in the rainwater and affect other places on the door. It also shocks me that these parts do not seem to be coated and protected from air oxidation, as suggested by the presence of the rusts. Also the Lexus dealership told me that this part of the car is considered the "exterior" so it is NOT covered in the basic warranty. This doesn't sound right but IS IT TRUE??? And I was told the bumper to bumper warranty is something that is falsely advertised. There is no such thing and that the basic warranty only covers some parts of the car not everything in detail. How disheartening to find out.

I asked them to at least put on some oils or a protective layer on it to prevent further rusting but all they did was use a pen and "touch painted" some of the bolts rather than all of the rusted ones and told me that everything is fine now. I really don't understand this.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails Rusty Bolts and screws on the door hinge-1483859178611.jpg   Rusty Bolts and screws on the door hinge-1483859180613.jpg  
Old 01-08-17, 04:57 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Put a little WD40 on the bolt if it stresses you so much. I think you are worrying too much about nothing.
Old 01-08-17, 06:48 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I wonder if the previous owner lived close to the coast? Salty spray caused some rust perhaps? Perhaps the door had been adjusted so some bare metal was exposed? Unfortunately, used cars are going to have a few blemishes. It is up to you as the buyer to decide if you can live with those blemishes or if you would prefer to keep looking at different used vehicles or buy a new vehicle. This really isn't a warranty issue.
Old 01-08-17, 07:09 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I'm with the others. It will be many years and the car will be in a scrap yard long before that rust progresses to a point where it would cause a problem. Some day, have a look on the under carriage of your car, and you will see a lot of parts with a lot more rust than that.

Still, I would be curious as to why there is rust on those bolts. Out of curiosity, I went out to the garage and checked the bolts on the doors of a 12 year old vehicle, and they all look like they are brand new. Is there rust on the bolts of all 4 doors or is just on the bolts for one door? I wonder if it might have been the case that, at some point, the bolts and door were removed for a repair or adjustment and if the wrench used to loosen the bolts might have scuffed the surface of the bolts and made them more vulnerable for corrosion.
Old 01-09-17, 07:53 AM
HsunL14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys. My car is a 2013 ES350 with only about 31000 km low mileage. The rusts are found on the bolts on all 4 doors. The time between when the last owner traded it in and when I got the car is probably within about a month or so less than 2 months. The previous owner also passed me all her repair documents when I got the car and there is no records of the bolts or doors ever being removed. Both the previous owner and I lived in greater Vancouver, which is on the west coast but it is not like we live by the beach. Would rain be a possible reason that have caused this? I mean the bolts are so hidden away in the doors I never thought that they would be this exposed to rain water. Just out of curiosity, does anyone with an ES350 2013+ or other model have similar findings?? Thanks in advance for taking the effort to reply me, I appreciate it.
Old 01-09-17, 08:09 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by HsunL14
Thanks for all the replies guys. My car is a 2013 ES350 with only about 31000 km low mileage. The rusts are found on the bolts on all 4 doors. The time between when the last owner traded it in and when I got the car is probably within about a month or so less than 2 months. The previous owner also passed me all her repair documents when I got the car and there is no records of the bolts or doors ever being removed. Both the previous owner and I lived in greater Vancouver, which is on the west coast but it is not like we live by the beach. Would rain be a possible reason that have caused this? I mean the bolts are so hidden away in the doors I never thought that they would be this exposed to rain water. Just out of curiosity, does anyone with an ES350 2013+ or other model have similar findings?? Thanks in advance for taking the effort to reply me, I appreciate it.
Based on the added information, I'd guess that the rust is just the result of environmental contaminants, including salt. As I said in my earlier post, it would not be until long after the car is no longer of any use that what you are seeing would be likely to progress to a point where it would be a problem.
Old 01-09-17, 09:10 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Just like what the others said, if you took a look under the car you'll find a lot more rusty bolts -- its not a big deal.
I wouldn't lose sleep over this. You can put a coat of touch-up paint over it.
The following users liked this post:
prosgal73 (01-09-17)