ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2018 Lexus ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-17, 12:24 PM
boe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hybrid acceleration needs an overhaul

I'd definitely like a bump in the acceleration on the hybrid model. I'm not sure why the accord hybrid has much better MPG AND acceleration. This to me is the biggest problem on the toyota/lexus hybrid systems - slow acceleration. Who here doesn't dread getting stuck behind a prius on an on ramp - trying to merge with highway traffic at 40 miles per hour. The 200CT only has an acceleration of 0-60 in 10.5 seconds - wtf? That is pathetic for a lexus. The IS Hybrid also begrudges accelerating but they don't even sell that in the US.
Old 01-11-17, 03:16 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by boe
I'd definitely like a bump in the acceleration on the hybrid model. I'm not sure why the accord hybrid has much better MPG AND acceleration. This to me is the biggest problem on the toyota/lexus hybrid systems - slow acceleration. Who here doesn't dread getting stuck behind a prius on an on ramp - trying to merge with highway traffic at 40 miles per hour. The 200CT only has an acceleration of 0-60 in 10.5 seconds - wtf? That is pathetic for a lexus. The IS Hybrid also begrudges accelerating but they don't even sell that in the US.
have you driven a Es300h or a hybrid Avalon ???
I have had both

the Prius has a smaller engine then the Camry, ES and Avalon they all have a 2.5
mine 2016 ES300h hauls butt and will dust a many on the freeway
will hit 100 fast has instant toque and infinite cvt
also the Honda has a V6 accord vs 4 cyl so it may be faster

2016 es300h
2015 nx300h

Last edited by pgiinc; 01-11-17 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-16-17, 07:36 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

i'm interested in the totally redesigned 2019 ES. i did a search here and found no discussions. is there a thread somewhere i missed?
Old 01-16-17, 09:29 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gekko
i'm interested in the totally redesigned 2019 ES. i did a search here and found no discussions. is there a thread somewhere i missed?
Lexus keeps pretty tight lipped about it and there is nothing out yet
I would guess that a 2019 model would be a new design and hope to see it myself maybe this time next year

Philip
Old 01-16-17, 10:00 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by pgiinc
Lexus keeps pretty tight lipped about it and there is nothing out yet
I would guess that a 2019 model would be a new design and hope to see it myself maybe this time next year

Philip
While I agree that the Generation 7 ES will most likely appear in the 2019 model year, I wouldn't be totally shocked if it came for the 2018 model year.

On the other hand, I really liked my 2013 ES, and my 2017 ES is a noticeably nicer car than was the 2013. I think that the 2016 re-fresh of the ES was one of Lexus' better attempts at a mid-cycle re-fresh, and I think that they could successfully ride out the Generation 6 ES for a couple more years. So, even though I think that the Generation 7 ES will be available for the 2019 ES, I don't eliminate the possibility that it won't come until the 2020 model year.
Old 01-16-17, 12:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

One of the big things I would like to see out of the next version of the ES is an AWD option. I think that would go a long way towards separating it from its more humble Toyota platform roots. Lacrosse is now AWD, etc...
Old 01-16-17, 02:01 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

i hate the 2013-2017 "Remote Touch" Navigation system. i created a whole thread on it. i hope they switch to the Touchpad like in the NX or RC and/or bring back the Touchscreen as a complement. i like the new spindle grille of the newer model and hope they continue in that more aggressive direction for 2019.

Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ology-imo.html
Old 01-16-17, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Have you used the touchpad? It's basically the same.

They went to the touchpad on the 5LS so I assume they will for the next ES too
Old 01-16-17, 02:48 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Our NX has the touchpad. The NX forums have plenty of complaints about the touchpad too. I can't honestly say I like one better than the other. Just my opinion of course. I liked the touchscreen in some of my former Priuses, but then I am a bit OCD and couldn't stand the fingerprints. Each style pointer has pros and cons but I don't see than one is clearly superior to any other.
Old 01-16-17, 03:38 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Have you used the touchpad? It's basically the same.

They went to the touchpad on the 5LS so I assume they will for the next ES too
no. i've used the RTI but not the new Touchpad. it seems that the Touchpad is more precise than the RTI. personally, i prefer the old style Touchscreen despite the arguments against it. the world today is Touchscreen - phones, tablets, laptops, etc.
Old 01-16-17, 03:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's basically the same. It's just using a touchpad vs a joystick. End result is the same.
Old 01-16-17, 06:12 PM
boe
Driver

Originally Posted by pgiinc
have you driven a Es300h or a hybrid Avalon ???
I have had both

the Prius has a smaller engine then the Camry, ES and Avalon they all have a 2.5
mine 2016 ES300h hauls butt and will dust a many on the freeway
will hit 100 fast has instant toque and infinite cvt
also the Honda has a V6 accord vs 4 cyl so it may be faster

2016 es300h
2015 nx300h
My regular car is still an OLD 2001 Acura TL (not type s) and I drive a LOT of cheap rental cars and trucks. Even though my car is old and the cars I rent tend to be pretty crappy I still feel the Lexus Hybrid seems sluggish when I enter the highway with it. My car has a lot of miles on it with almost not maintenance other than regular oil changes and it still feels a lot zippier. I have no doubt your car can dust a lot of prius(es?) but the acceleration numbers are not great for the ES Hybrid - this isn't subjective. Now there may be a lot of Sunday drivers not accelerating due to the fact they aren't in a rush but a lot of much much cheaper cars will leave the ES hybrid behind. Obviously acceleration isn't the only feature I look for in a car otherwise I'd just get a tesla but I think this engine is a tad long in the tooth and it is time for them to retire it.
Old 01-16-17, 06:18 PM
boe
Driver

Originally Posted by Gekko
i hate the 2013-2017 "Remote Touch" Navigation system. i created a whole thread on it. i hope they switch to the Touchpad like in the NX or RC and/or bring back the Touchscreen as a complement.
I agree they should make the GPS touch screen AND some other thing instead of touchpad or joystick or **** only. The reviews are always something it only takes a few days to get use to the (insert interface here) and it will almost be as intuitive as a touch screen. Almost as... is a term I don't want in things I own. It is almost as good as a roof that doesn't leak... It is almost as good as a reliable car... It is almost as fast as a new computer... It is almost as good of an investment as... If I'm buying something used - I can live with almost as but if I'm buying new I want it to be what it should be. Is it going to kill sales on a $2000 GPS (absurd markup) to include a $20 touchscreen?
Old 01-16-17, 06:47 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by boe
I agree they should make the GPS touch screen AND some other thing instead of touchpad or joystick or **** only. The reviews are always something it only takes a few days to get use to the (insert interface here) and it will almost be as intuitive as a touch screen. Almost as... is a term I don't want in things I own. It is almost as good as a roof that doesn't leak... It is almost as good as a reliable car... It is almost as fast as a new computer... It is almost as good of an investment as... If I'm buying something used - I can live with almost as but if I'm buying new I want it to be what it should be. Is it going to kill sales on a $2000 GPS (absurd markup) to include a $20 touchscreen?
You are conveniently ignoring the fact that there many, including several who have posted in this thread, who prefer a touch pad or mouse controlled screen and who believe that there are significant advantages to the touch pad or mouse controlled screen over a touch screen. The touch pad or mouse controlled screen allows for safer driving because it allows for placement in a location further from the driver, and that placement requires the driver to take his/her eyes off the road, when looking at the screen, for only a fraction of the time that would be required with the closer placement of a touch screen. Further, the touch pad or mouse controlled screen allows for a recessed location that eliminates glare on the screen, and, finally, a touch pad or mouse controlled screen stays free of ugly finger prints and smudges.

Thus, if I borrow your thinking, I don't want to pay $45,000 for a car with a touch screen that is "almost as good" as one with a touch pad or mouse controlled screen. I can accept your preference for a touch screen, but it would be nice if, at least, you would acknowledge the fact that there are real reasons why others would have a preference different from yours.
Old 01-16-17, 06:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Currently owning a car with the remote touch and a car with a touchscreen, I prefer the remote touch.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus ES 350