weathertech trunk w bumper protector

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-16, 04:38 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default weathertech trunk w bumper protector

Hi all,

Has anyone tried out the Weathertech trunk mat with bumper protector for the ES 350 2017?
Here is the link
http://www.weathertech.com/lexus/201...ner/hybrid/no/
I wonder if the design actually works.
Also, please share if anyone know how to get any discount on the weathertech floor liners set.
The only discount I saw was some shipping when one order both the floor liners and the trunk mat together.

Thanks
Old 12-30-16, 04:52 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,011 Likes on 691 Posts

I would be skeptical about the value of the "bumper protector" feature of that trunk liner. If there is dust or other debris on the side of bumper protector that faces the bumper, that dust/dirt could become abrasive and actually cause surface scratches in the finish of the bumper when it is rubbing against the bumper, and such surface scratches would be more likely to be apparent on a dark colored car.

That said, I'm a fan of WeatherTech products, and it may well be designed with soft materials that are not, even when dirty, going to be abrasive to the paint on the bumper.

When I've shopped for WeatherTech products in the past, I haven't found many significant discounts. WeatherTech does offer promotional discounts that change from time to time. About the best that I've seen are either free shipping or a small discount when buying multiple products.
Old 12-30-16, 05:11 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Thanks Lesz.
The points you mentioned made sense. I was hoping that WeatherTech does it right and design the bumper protector with soft enough material to provide the protection. I haven't own a sedan for a long time (until now), and with my RX, I don't normally be worry about scratching the bumper, but with the ES, I think I will scratch the thing when loading in my luggage.
Old 12-30-16, 05:25 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,011 Likes on 691 Posts

Another thought just came to my mind. If you have and use the trunk cargo net, you might want to check to be sure that the bumper protector on the liner is compatible with the cargo net. I know that I use the cargo net all the time, and, on the rare occasions when I have to have access to the tools or spare, which are stored under the trunk mat, I have to remove the cargo net to do so, and removing and re-installing the cargo net is not a particularly user-friendly operation.

I'm not sure if the liner with the bumper protector would even fit with a cargo net in place, but, even it does fit with the cargo net in place, it would appear that you would have to remove the cargo net every time you wanted to use the bumper protector.
The following users liked this post:
ut2sua (01-14-17)
Old 12-30-16, 06:10 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Another good point by you Lesz. I agree it is a pain to remove the trunk cargo net.
I took a look, and the hooks at the bottom of the cargo net is 1 to 1.5 inches off the trunk floor, so I can imagine leaving it there and just flip the mat protector over it (without having to remove the cargo net completely) when loading heavy stuffs. It depends on how the mat is built by WeatherTech. That last part is not clear to me.
Old 12-31-16, 05:34 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I already have Weathertech floor mats and have thought about getting a trunk mat too. One question I have is how does that affect the access to the spare tire compartment? Just lifting up the factory installed trunk carpet and cover is a bit of a challenge, so does the additional mat need to be removed first? Anyone have first hand experience?
Old 12-31-16, 07:25 AM
sanyata
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the Weathertech trunk protector in my hybrid. First off, you can't leave the factory trunk mat (if you have one) in place as it doesn't form fit the trunk perfectly and won't allow the Weathertech to rest in place properly as there is a recessed area on the left hand side of the trunk that the factory mat doesn't match. I'm completely happy with the Weathertech. It's fit and finish is perfect. As to Nelexus88's question, if you need to access the tools and/or spare tire it looks like you'd have to empty most of the trunk in order to lift up the Weathertech and access the cover. But you'd have to do that anyway if you have the factory mat so no big difference there. Hopefully this would be a very rare occurrence. Lastly, I found a deal on Amazon that was $25 off retail. It was backordered for about five weeks but worth waiting for it.
Oh, I'm going to order the Lexus clear applique to put on the bumper for protection.
The following users liked this post:
ut2sua (01-14-17)
Old 12-31-16, 07:39 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

A little off topic, but if anyone is in the market for Weathertech products and is in the SW suburban Chicago area, their Company Store is an interesting place to visit and purchase their products. There are usually a couple of vehicles decked out with their stuff on display and a coffee/snack bar to kill time while you wait for your order.
Old 12-31-16, 02:46 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

I found a bit more detail regarding the "bumper protector" feature. See the link below
http://www.weathertech.com/cargo-liner/
Even though in the pic, it was an SUV, not the ES 350, but it did give me some idea on how the extra piece was attached.
It was not what I had imagined as the extra protector appeared to get attached to the main mat with buttons (instead of one continuous piece).
So I have decided to go with the "regular" mat + a full set of floor liners up front. I got a discount of $18 (shipping) out of the whole order so it was not much, but the weathertech did a good job protecting my RX for 6 years, so this is one less thing for me to worry about in this wet season.
Thanks for all the inputs.
Happy New Year to all