ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

New Tires - 2 vs 4

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-16, 11:56 AM
pras
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Tires - 2 vs 4

I bought my ES350 UL as a CPO. Two tires are at 7/32 tread depth, while the remaining two are probably close to 4/32. I want to replace all four, but I am wondering if there are other options.

1. Any safe places to get used tires? My thought is I get two mildly worn tires, and then replace all four later so I don't waste my "good" tires. Is this a bad idea?
2. Is the spare-tire compartment in the trunk big enough to fit a full-size rim/tire? If I replace all four tires, perhaps I can mount one of my "fresher" tires on a full size rim, so I'll have a full size spare?

Any other advise/tips? The most realistic outcome here is that I am just going to replace all four tires in the next week or so.

Thanks folks!
Old 12-11-16, 12:36 PM
Maljunulo
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I thinkk all four is the better way to go, if you are willing to spend the money.

Best of the four for your spare.
Old 12-11-16, 12:37 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Was there that much difference in tread between 2 and the other 2 when you bought the car, or did the difference in tread occur after you bought it? To get that much difference, it seems like the tires might not ever have been rotated.

Even though the Lexus recommendation is to rotate at 5000 mile intervals, I did the rotations on my 2013 ES every 8000 miles or so. After the first 8000 miles, I had about 1/32 less tread on the fronts than there was on the rears, but, after the 2nd rotation at about 16,000 miles, that had evened out.

Which brand of tires do you have on the car? The Michelin MXV4 tires (and, I believe, the Bridgestones) start out with 9/32. That means that two of your tires still have about 2/3 of their usable tread left. If it was my car, I'd hate to waste that much usable tread. I think that I'd be inclined to buy 2 tires and put the new tires on the front. Then, as long as there was no uneven wear, I'd leave the new tires on the front for about 10,000 miles. By then, the tread difference between the new tires and the old ones would likely be 1/32 or less. After that, I would do regular rotations, but I'd go a little longer with the new tires on the front until the tread on all tires had evened out. After a few such rotation cycles with the new tires on the front at slightly longer intervals, they should have completely evened out.
Old 12-11-16, 12:51 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I think you could probably use the current tires for another 5000 miles (depending on your driving style), leaving the 4/32nd tires on the front. Then swap them out for used tires to not waste the rear tires. I've purchased from and had good experience with http://bestusedtires.com. They have a good selection and list good details. I took them to America's Tire to get mounted ($20 each w/o lifetime balance), but they check to make sure no repairs have been made to the tire, so make sure you get one without repairs.
Old 12-11-16, 06:00 PM
pras
Driver School Candidate

All four tires are Michelin MXM4's. Two tires are more worn because two were replaced before I bought the car, and the other two are original. (First time car buyer - I didn't think to ask "why?"). I have about 35k miles on the car now. Tires were rotated every 5k as I have the full service history from the dealer to confirm.

Thanks for the used tire link, I'll see what I can find there and then decide what to do.

The other reason I thought to replace all four is I was thinking of switching to the Pirelli P7 all season Plus. Still on the fence abut that.
Old 12-12-16, 05:59 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Good idea - four tires and switch to Pirellis at the same time,

Dave Mac
Old 12-12-16, 06:56 AM
Maljunulo
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a word, without provoking a dispute ........... tires are really not a smart place to save money.
Old 12-12-16, 09:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Maljunulo
Just a word, without provoking a dispute ........... tires are really not a smart place to save money.
Exactly. The tires are the only thing that connects your car to the road. Fork over the cash and buy 4 new tires.
Old 12-13-16, 05:04 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Some tire manufacturers/dealers are offering rebates on the purchase of 4 tires but not on 2, so you could save a little that way.
Also you may be able to sell your old set of tires on C-List or a used tire dealer rather than paying a disposal fee at the tire shop.
Old 12-13-16, 07:55 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

That's a good point - I do see deals on the purchase of four tires but never on two. I think tire stores are required to collect the disposal fee on the sale of every tire even if you are going to keep them - which makes sense because otherwise you could just save the disposal fee and dump the old tires in the trash bin. Not at all related but a while ago I dropped off some batteries at Batteries Plus for disposal and while sitting in the car on the phone after leaving I observed the employee carry the disposal box out to the trash bin and dump it - I could have saved the gas and done that myself.

Dave Mac
Old 12-22-16, 04:45 AM
pras
Driver School Candidate

So I got the tires put on last night, along with the 4 wheel alignment (went with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, replaced all four). Overall the tires feel quieter, but rather firm. Other than that, haven't noticed much else in the little driving I've done so far.

Should these tires be inflated per the sticker by the driver door, or should I follow different guidelines for the tire pressure? It looks like the dealer inflated them to 36 psi (per the 4-wheel readout on my gauge cluster). If I remember correctly, the sticker says both front and rear should be at 33psi. Would I really notice a difference when driving with +3psi?

I thought there was a thread about this but I don't see it.
Old 12-22-16, 04:56 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by pras
So I got the tires put on last night, along with the 4 wheel alignment (went with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, replaced all four). Overall the tires feel quieter, but rather firm. Other than that, haven't noticed much else in the little driving I've done so far.

Should these tires be inflated per the sticker by the driver door, or should I follow different guidelines for the tire pressure? It looks like the dealer inflated them to 36 psi (per the 4-wheel readout on my gauge cluster). If I remember correctly, the sticker says both front and rear should be at 33psi. Would I really notice a difference when driving with +3psi?

I thought there was a thread about this but I don't see it.
You need to take a reading when they're cold. Like in the morning after sitting all night. You can adjust them down to about 30psi, if you like. They may wear quicker, but would ride softer, if that's what you're after. I try to keep mine at 33psi cold.
Old 12-22-16, 04:58 AM
pras
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
You need to take a reading when they're cold. Like in the morning after sitting all night. You can adjust them down to about 30psi, if you like. They may wear quicker, but would ride softer, if that's what you're after. I try to keep mine at 33psi cold.
Yup, the 36psi reading was at 7:00am this morning when I first started my car.
Old 12-22-16, 05:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

They're over inflated at 36, that's why they feel firm.

Reduce the pressure to 33 or 30 (I run 30) as Mike advised and the difference will be considerable.
Old 12-22-16, 05:39 AM
pras
Driver School Candidate

Awesome, thanks for the input as always. Safe driving to all.

Quick Reply: New Tires - 2 vs 4