ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Cooled seats. Yes, no, maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 04:24 PM
LDB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cooled seats. Yes, no, maybe?

I'm searching and reading but so far don't find specific answers. I'm debating a 2014 or newer CPO ES specifically for the cooled seats option. Houston is not temperature friendly for a few months each year. So for those of you who have them do they work well? Will you be sure to get them again next time? Anything specific to be aware of when shopping for cars with this option? Thanks for any and all input.
Old 11-21-16, 04:35 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

This subject has been discussed thoroughly in previous threads. Some are pleased with the cooling and some are disappointed. I've spent time in Houston and am aware of the high humidity. The seats do issue cool air on the seat and seatback, but not air conditioned, dehumidified air. Just cool air. For me, the option came with the car and if it didn't I wouldn't buy it as an extra. Do like the heated part though (in Pennsylvania). I would suggest that you try them out in a Lexus on a warm day and judge for yourself. Lots of PRO and lots of CON in this forum.
Old 11-21-16, 04:47 PM
LDB
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. I'm researching and reading and will eventually get caught up. Your post is very helpful in that I was unaware it isn't part of the A/C airflow. Cooled would help I'm sure but I'm hoping to find something with actual A/C airflow to the seat.
Old 11-21-16, 05:08 PM
madsen203
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB
I'm searching and reading but so far don't find specific answers. I'm debating a 2014 or newer CPO ES specifically for the cooled seats option. Houston is not temperature friendly for a few months each year. So for those of you who have them do they work well? Will you be sure to get them again next time? Anything specific to be aware of when shopping for cars with this option? Thanks for any and all input.

It's nice from the seat bottom but the seat backing doesn't work as smoothly. I haven't used in on a summer day so I can't comment. I wouldn't pay extra for it now that I've used it but ultimately I do use it more often than not. The seat heaters are supreme though and much needed for cold mornings or long drives.

See other user posts and also search.
Old 11-21-16, 05:08 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

To clarify further, they aren't cooled seats but ventilated. They only deliver air that is the temperature of the area under the seat. So if your vent under the seat is pushing hot air, the fans will send hot air through the seat.
I am looking at a way to redirect the air from the vents to the fans so that I can actually have the AC push the air through the seats.
Old 11-21-16, 05:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchey
To clarify further, they aren't cooled seats but ventilated. They only deliver air that is the temperature of the area under the seat. So if your vent under the seat is pushing hot air, the fans will send hot air through the seat.
I am looking at a way to redirect the air from the vents to the fans so that I can actually have the AC push the air through the seats.
This is a good reminder to put out there. It keeps expectations realistic.
Old 11-22-16, 06:12 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree, I have not been impressed with the functioning of the cooled seats although my wife, who regularly drives the car, likes it. The heated seats, on the other hand, work very nicely.

=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2
Old 11-22-16, 09:04 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchey
A while back, someone on this forum did just that. I believe they cut up a gallon milk jug and used it to divert the air from under the seat to the intake on the back of the seat and I also believe they posted photos.
Old 11-22-16, 09:13 AM
PAcommuter
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I accidentally turned mine to cool on the drive home after purchasing it. It was a mild day in Berkeley (65*F), but I'm one who is sensitive to cold. I had a light mohair sweater on, and I didn't realize why I was so cold until I leaned forward in the seat, and really felt the air blowing on my shoulder blades. Turned the dial the correct direction and felt better immediately. The following weekend, we drove up to Reno for a weekend getaway and my husband, who is a bigger guy and runs warm, couldn't tell that I had the vented seat on full blast for him. He had his climate setting to 63*F, while I was going at 74*F. Perhaps the vented seats are felt more if you are smaller than 6ft?
Old 11-22-16, 09:23 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
A while back, someone on this forum did just that. I believe they cut up a gallon milk jug and used it to divert the air from under the seat to the intake on the back of the seat and I also believe they posted photos.
If you can find the thread can you post the link?
Old 11-22-16, 11:05 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

IMHO, the feature is a "nice to have" and not a "need to have." I would take it the option came with the car but I would not go out of my way to pick it as an additional item if I had the choice. That said, I live in N.CA and we don't have hot humid weather here.

Just like another member said, the air coming out is "ventilated" and is not "air-conditioned." Therefore, don't expect piping cold air coming out. Also, I think it does little during those hot days and you want to avoid having a sweaty bottom and back, but doing little doesn't mean it doesn't help. It does help, but just a little bit.

In some other cars, the ventilated seats pump out cold air from the A/C. I think those make a huge difference.
Old 11-22-16, 01:45 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
If you can find the thread can you post the link?
I cannot find the milk container one but I did find these, it is a similar mod.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ts-easy-3.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ont-seats.html
Old 11-22-16, 03:31 PM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with azipod, except I've never heard the term "piping cold" before. My experience with them in the ES is that it is nice to have (prevents you from sticking to the leather in the summer) but not need to have since it doesn't provide "piping cold" seats. If you need to have cool seats where you live, the new NX and RX loaners I've driven over the summer have seats that actually get chilly. So much, that on max, the seat bottom may make you think you need to wear adult diapers.
Old 11-22-16, 04:11 PM
LDB
Driver School Candidate

Any idea why NX/RX get that cold? You'd think on cars with rear seat A/C vents they could tap off that to have actual A/C coming through the seats.
Old 11-22-16, 06:03 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB
Any idea why NX/RX get that cold? You'd think on cars with rear seat A/C vents they could tap off that to have actual A/C coming through the seats.
I'm not sure where you got your information. The ventilated seats on our NX don't cool any better than the ventilated or "cooled" seats on our ES. Both are pretty weak but they do help keep you from sticking to the seats in the hot summers. The 2013 RX we traded in last winter wasn't any better either. The perforations help just a tad bit in the summer but not as much as one might think. The fan noise in the NX is quite noticeable though so perhaps there is greater "perception" of cooling but my backside can't really tell a difference between any of the three models.

Quick Reply: Cooled seats. Yes, no, maybe?