ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

"Passenger Airbag On" illuminated when adult in passenger seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 06:38 PM
madsen203
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default "Passenger Airbag On" illuminated when adult in passenger seat

Is this normal for this light to stay on (its always illuminated whether it indicates OFF/ON depending if adult is in the seat of course)?

I'm considering going to dealer but it's two hours away and I can't find any answers online.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-07-16, 06:50 PM
madsen203
Driver School Candidate

Anyway to disable this other than a piece of electrical tape (which would look trashy)?

Last edited by madsen203; 11-07-16 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-07-16, 07:08 PM
JimHand00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That light should remain illuminated if an adult is sitting in the passenger seat. Also, there are about 15 pages in the user's manual that describe the SRS airbag system, and which airbags are activated when an adult or child is sitting in the passenger seat. It is somewhat interesting, but not life-altering.
Old 11-07-16, 07:11 PM
madsen203
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JimHand00
That light should remain illuminated if an adult is sitting in the passenger seat. Also, there are about 15 pages in the user's manual that describe the SRS airbag system, and which airbags are activated when an adult or child is sitting in the passenger seat. It is somewhat interesting, but not life-altering.
Thank you!
Old 11-08-16, 09:32 PM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I could not stand that light, either! And actually, the piece of electrical tape is not a bad answer. (cut right, you can't see it unless you are really looking hard)
Old 11-09-16, 04:07 AM
don1
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by madsen203
Is this normal for this light to stay on (its always illuminated whether it indicates OFF/ON depending if adult is in the seat of course)?

I'm considering going to dealer but it's two hours away and I can't find any answers online.

Thanks in advance!
This is one of the first things I noticed when I bought my 2014. No previous car that I have owned (mostly Acura TL's) did this and it was both annoying and distracting and served no useful purpose. But after 2+ years I have learned to ignore it.
Old 11-09-16, 05:34 AM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I guess I am a little too **** about interior lighting at night. The ES lighting is so pleasant EXCEPT for the airbag light and the intense blue "D" shift light on the console. A well cut piece of electrical tape made both of these 'disappear', and now all is serene :-)
Old 11-09-16, 06:37 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

One more electrical tape solution for the ugly airbag light on my '14 ES.
Old 11-09-16, 07:21 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

From the NHTSA
  • Vehicles with advanced frontal air bags that are designed to suppress the air bags (not deploy them) are also required to have a "PASS AIR BAG OFF" (or PASSENGER AIR BAG OFF) indicator light. Although not required by law, some manufacturers may also provide a “PASS AIR BAG ON” indicator light next to the "PASS AIR BAG OFF" indicator light for greater status recognition.

When illuminated, the purpose of the PASS AIR BAG OFF" indicator light is to inform you that the passenger frontal air bag has been automatically turned off (suppressed) by the advanced frontal air bag system and therefore will not deploy. This can happen if sensors detect a small-stature passenger, such as an infant or child, in the right front passenger seating position.

The location of the "PASS AIR BAG OFF" indicator light will vary depending on the design of the individual vehicle. Manufacturers are required to place this indicator light in a position that is both visible and recognizable to the driver and right front passenger under all driving conditions, typically on the dashboard center or on the rearview mirror.

Note: The "PASS AIR BAG OFF" indicator light is different than the "air bag readiness indicator light" located in the driver's side instrumental panel. The air bag readiness indicator light illuminates or flashes when the air bag diagnostic system detects a fault in your vehicle's air bag system, such as a component failure, informing you that service is immediately required.
  • Vehicle manufacturers are also required to provide detailed information in the owner's manual about the features of a vehicle's advanced frontal air bag system and how it operates.
Old 11-09-16, 12:58 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 880 Likes on 663 Posts

On the new 2016-2017 RX350/450h (but not your ES350) the Air Bag on/off signal
also turns the passenger side HVAC on and off. No passenger? No A/C The digital
temperature display goes out as well. Somebody jumps in... first the SIR light and then the
temp setting appear. Defeatable by pressing the Split Flow button if bringing home
less than 40 lbs of Ice Cream in the Passenger seat!
Old 11-10-16, 08:45 AM
madsen203
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by modad
I could not stand that light, either! And actually, the piece of electrical tape is not a bad answer. (cut right, you can't see it unless you are really looking hard)

I stole this idea from another post when searching about the light. There was no definitive answer online but I remember coming across that as a solution to it as being pesky. I personally can ignore the light just fine but it's my passenger who sees it and makes comments about it "is it broken, why does it illuminate, shouldn't it go away?"

Alas, I'll learn to ignore it. I rarely drive late night so it blaring in my eyes isn't a huge problem. Only noticeable when I turn off the nav screen and it glows.