ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Door sill not aligned

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16, 01:20 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Door sill not aligned

So I attempted the whole button rearrangement thing. But I stopped have way as it was to much work just to switch some buttons around. While reassembling it my door sill isn't fully snapping back into place towards the end where it meets the round piece near the dead pedal also now my near airbag is not fully in place. So any help will be greatly appreciated. Btw here is a pic of what I'm talking about but the pic isn't my car
Attached Thumbnails Door sill not aligned-photo401.jpg  
Old 11-01-16, 08:00 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

If it isn't clicking into place easily, chances are that you bent one of the clips or they aren't aligned correctly. Make sure everything is straight and that the clips are aligned with their holes.
Old 11-01-16, 08:11 PM
dxerg3770
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly, that piece is a little tricky. Its not just push down and snap. Its more like pull outward to the door then push and snap. Try taking the whole piece apart, then study how the clips snap into places.
Old 11-02-16, 04:18 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ratchey
If it isn't clicking into place easily, chances are that you bent one of the clips or they aren't aligned correctly. Make sure everything is straight and that the clips are aligned with their holes.
Originally Posted by dxerg3770
If I remember correctly, that piece is a little tricky. Its not just push down and snap. Its more like pull outward to the door then push and snap. Try taking the whole piece apart, then study how the clips snap into places.
It's aligned perfectly all the way except the piece where it meets that big round piece. It doesn't clip back on to the carpet correctly. I'll get a pic today.
Old 11-02-16, 10:11 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

So does anyone have any input? the gap is really bothering. And now I wish I hadn't messed with it for some stupid buttons. Also any input on the misaligned knee airbag cover?
Old 11-02-16, 10:26 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by imrankh24
So does anyone have any input? the gap is really bothering. And now I wish I hadn't messed with it for some stupid buttons. Also any input on the misaligned knee airbag cover?
You were going to posts pics. It is hard to trouble shoot blind.
I have only taken the passenger side panels off (not the air bag).
My guess on the air bag, is that you missed getting one of the hangers into the correct spot (assuming you pulled it all of the way off. There are a couple of metal brackets on the upper edge that fit into slots to hold it in place as you clip in the lower section. They are easy to misalign and will keep it from sitting flush. Other wise, it is a clip that is not aligned correctly. Unless something is blocking it, those are the only 2 things it can be ( assuming you pressed hard enough to set the clips in place) (you are doing this with the battery disconnected correct? There is enough force in that air bag to snap your neck if it goes off while you are down there)

As for the kick panel, there should be only one clip. It slides in from the seat side towards the firewall. The clip should be in the upper area near the dash board. There should also be a bolt to the left of the dead pedal with a plastic nut. Make sure the panel fits over the bolt and is aligned against the left side body panel and it should pop into place towards the firewall. It takes a little force to pop it into place, but not too much. If that clip is out of alignment at all, it will bend to the side (or snap off) and will block the panel for fitting in correctly.

The door sill panel will fit one of two ways. It either just clips on last or it will fit into a slot on the kick panel then snap down. I wasn't paying that much attention when I did it so don't remember. It's pretty straight forward and if you look at the bottom of the sill panel, you will be able to tell if there is a clip at the front that would align into the kick panel or just the 4 that go down into the sill.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Ratchey; 11-03-16 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-02-16, 11:00 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

You were going to posts pics. It is hard to trouble shoot blind.
I have only taken the passenger side panels off (not the air bag).
My guess on the air bag, is that you missed getting one of the hangers into the correct spot (assuming you pulled it all of the way off. There are a couple of metal brackets on the upper edge that fit into slots to hold it in place as you clip in the lower section. They are easy to misalign and will keep it from sitting flush. Other wise, it is a clip that is not aligned correctly. Unless something is blocking it, those are the only 2 things it can be ( assuming you pressed hard enough to set the clips in place) (you are doing this with the battery disconnected correct? There is enough force in that air bag to snap your neck if it goes off while you are down there)

As for the kick panel, there should be only one clip. It slides in from the seat side towards the firewall. The clip should be in the upper area near the dash board. There should also be a bolt to the left of the dead foot rest with a plastic nut. Make sure the panel fits over the bolt and is aligned against the left side body panel and it should pop into place towards the firewall. It takes a little force to pop it into place, but not too much. If that clip is out of alignment at all, it will bend to the side (or snap off) and will block the panel for fitting in correctly.

The door sill panel will fit one of two ways. It either just clips on last or it will fit into a slot on the kick panel then snap down. I wasn't paying that much attention when I did it so don't remember. It's pretty straight forward and if you look at the bottom of the sill panel, you will be able to tell if there is a clip at the front that would align into the kick panel or just the 4 that go down into the sill.

Hope that helps.
Thanks man I will definitely get a pic in the morning to clearly shod you. And the airbag thing has me scared now 😳.
Old 11-03-16, 05:10 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Here are the pics I promised. Hopefully this makes my problem more clear
Attached Thumbnails Door sill not aligned-photo873.jpg   Door sill not aligned-photo817.jpg   Door sill not aligned-photo998.jpg  
Old 11-03-16, 09:34 AM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Here are the pics I promised. Hopefully this makes my problem more clear
Actually it doesn't. The onlu issue I see is that your rubber seal needs to be adjusted.
Attached Thumbnails Door sill not aligned-sill1.jpg   Door sill not aligned-sill2.jpg   Door sill not aligned-sill3.jpg  
Old 11-03-16, 10:15 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Actually it doesn't. The onlu issue I see is that your rubber seal needs to be adjusted.
Ok so I'll get better pics cause the seal isn't the issue. When I press on the actual plastic pieces they are really loose.
Old 11-03-16, 12:03 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Here ya go
Attached Thumbnails Door sill not aligned-photo197.jpg   Door sill not aligned-photo397.jpg   Door sill not aligned-photo737.jpg   Door sill not aligned-photo641.jpg   Door sill not aligned-photo121.jpg  

Door sill not aligned-photo723.jpg   Door sill not aligned-photo56.jpg  
Old 11-03-16, 01:05 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

There isn't much more that I can tell you. You need to pull it apart and make sure each piece is aligned correctly and snapped into place before going on to the next one.
The only things that will cause this is something is blocking it, the clips aren't aligned, the clips are bent or broken, or you just haven't pressed them into place hard enough.
There is nothing else that will case the panels to not fit back correctly.
There is nothing in the pictures that will tell me exactly where the issue is.
Old 11-03-16, 01:05 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No offense but why dont you leave this beautiful car alone and enjoy it. Its a beautiful car.....
Old 11-03-16, 01:19 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

There isn't much more that I can tell you. You need to pull it apart and make sure each piece is aligned correctly and snapped into place before going on to the next one.
The only things that will cause this is something is blocking it, the clips aren't aligned, the clips are bent or broken, or you just haven't pressed them into place hard enough.
There is nothing else that will case the panels to not fit back correctly.
There is nothing in the pictures that will tell me exactly where the issue is.
It's where it meets that round piece. TBH it doesn't bother me that much so I will just suck it up and stop messing with my baby.
Old 11-03-16, 01:25 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

It's where it meets that round piece. TBH it doesn't bother me that much so I will just suck it up and stop messing with my baby.
Not sure what you mean by round piece. If you are referring to the kick panel, it is easy to do. Just pull the sill plate, pull the kick panel back out, look at where the clip is on the panel and where it goes on the body. Get it aligned, make sure it is on the bolt and push towards the firewall. You will hear it click into place if you have it aligned correctly.

Quick Reply: Door sill not aligned