Changing Engine Switch modes

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-16, 11:06 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Changing Engine Switch modes

Greetings Lexonians,

I occasionally forget to press down enough on the brake when starting my baby (2016 ES 350), and I get a screen coming up but no engine.

A few days ago I did this, then hit the start button again thinking that would shut it off. Instead even more lights came on. (I should have read the Owner's
Manual).

Apparently you can put the engine into Accessory mode (hit it once), the Ignition On mode (twice), then in Off mode (3 times). Looks like you can
toggle between them.

Is there any reason to use Ignition On mode? I guess in Accessory mode you can use the radio w/o having the car running.

BTW I discovered you can still start it when it's in Ignition On mode.
Old 10-27-16, 10:56 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the hybrid, but I have noticed that in the basic "accessory mode" (pushing button once without brake), only certain things can run. E.g. , you cant roll down the windows

In full mode (pushing it twice but not the brake), everything is on, except engine not started. To me, this is FULL accessory mode. You can roll down windows, full power options. Headlights will also be on.

then from there, if you press brake and push button once more in the hybrid, engine starts up. ( Of course with hybrid, if you have enough battery juice, even in "engine start up mode", sometimes the engine is not actually running....)

Originally Posted by jloftus
Greetings Lexonians,

I occasionally forget to press down enough on the brake when starting my baby (2016 ES 350), and I get a screen coming up but no engine.

A few days ago I did this, then hit the start button again thinking that would shut it off. Instead even more lights came on. (I should have read the Owner's
Manual).

Apparently you can put the engine into Accessory mode (hit it once), the Ignition On mode (twice), then in Off mode (3 times). Looks like you can
toggle between them.

Is there any reason to use Ignition On mode? I guess in Accessory mode you can use the radio w/o having the car running.

Old 10-27-16, 01:00 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Hi again Bostonsnow,

Yes, that's exactly how it'll work on the non-hybrid ES 350. I kind of discovered that accidentally. Yeh it's more like a partial and full accessory mode.
I suppose it's useful for short stops, to use the radio, windows, etc., without burning gas. I think most people run into this when starting the car and
not depressing the brake enough (or hitting the button too soon), thus putting it into partial accessory mode w no engine.

Your comment reminds me of what happened when I test drove an Infinity Q50, and we stopped at a light. After a bit of time, the engine seemed
to stop. Apparently the car will shut it off after so many seconds stopped to save gas.

One of the reasons I opted for the Lexus instead of the Q50 was the Q50 had so many gadgets and features, it was simply overwhelming. Plus I had
heard there were reliability problems with some of those gadgets. And I it was curious that there were so many of the cars sitting on the lot so late
in the model year. Made me think people just aren't buying them.

But the last straw was when I test drove the Lexus, and experienced that cool smoothness in the ride......

I still think Q50 is a great car, I just felt a little nervous about buying one.
Old 10-27-16, 01:11 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

I think the Q50 feature is called 'Idle Stop Start". It will stop the engine temporarily if brake is depressed, and if released and placed in drive
will restart it. It seemed neat, but to me unnecessary. Just one more thing that can go wrong with a car.
Old 10-27-16, 02:02 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

One trick I learned from another member on this forum was how to keep the radio playing when you park the car and NOT having either the engine running or any other accessories on. Like when the wife runs into a store and you wait in the car. Park the car, hold your foot on the brake and place the gear selector in neutral. Push the start button to turn the car off and the radio continues to play while all other accessories are off. Now you can place the gear selector in park and your foot off the brake. Radio continues to play until you restart the car by pushing start button again with foot on the brake... Takes about 3 seconds...
The following users liked this post:
YGBSM352 (09-08-20)
Old 10-27-16, 03:25 PM
5Ws
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
One trick I learned from another member on this forum was how to keep the radio playing when you park the car and NOT having either the engine running or any other accessories on. Like when the wife runs into a store and you wait in the car. Park the car, hold your foot on the brake and place the gear selector in neutral. Push the start button to turn the car off and the radio continues to play while all other accessories are off. Now you can place the gear selector in park and your foot off the brake. Radio continues to play until you restart the car by pushing start button again with foot on the brake... Takes about 3 seconds...
Niffty.

Richard
Old 10-28-16, 07:00 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Hi bc6152.

It sounds like you're actually putting the engine in Accessory mode when you do that.

From page 152 of the Owner's manual:

"If the shift lever is in a position other than P when turning off the engine, the engine switch will be turned to ACCESSORY
mode, not to off".

If you hit the start button again without the brake, you would then be in Ignition On mode - which allows for more devices to be used, but
also uses up more battery.

Both useful for when the wife makes a 'quick trip' into a store, and ends up in there for 40 minutes.....

JL
Old 10-28-16, 07:16 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

Hi bc6152.

Both useful for when the wife makes a 'quick trip' into a store, and ends up in there for 40 minutes.....

JL
Gee, your wife does that too?
Old 10-28-16, 08:41 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

No, I don't have a wife. But I've been around long enough to pretty much get the drill on what they do. :-)
Old 10-28-16, 03:54 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bob, I think we all know the drill so we do what we have to do. Yes, I do the same as you when the wife goes for a 'quick' stop.
Old 08-06-20, 09:35 PM
mrlexus12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings Lexonians,

Manual).

toggle between them.

when you go into ignition on mode, do you get warning lights ? Do they stay on? Mine are not going away.

Old 08-07-20, 01:12 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Yes, the Red (serious) and Yellow (cautionary) warning lights will come on whenever the
car detects abnormal symptoms. When in Accessory the engine, electric power steering,
battery are all out of normal performance range...lights let you know.
Old 08-07-20, 02:28 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Yep, I figured that out also a while back.
The following users liked this post:
Jasones350 (08-11-20)