ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

new tire choices

Old 10-21-16, 02:57 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts
Default new tire choices

Hey guys, need a little input here. I'm a 61 year old man so I don't drive with a heavy foot ( much )... my car is a 2013 ES 350 that I dearly love.. the problem is the car came new with bridgestone turanza's on there and I really dislike them... I think they ride rough, and are too noisy... I'm right at 30k right now and tread life will be shot in about another 2 to 3 thousand miles... I would like your input on which of these tires you think would best fit my application, knowing that the criteria for my selection is listed below in the order of importance to me.

1- comfy ride..( don't want to feel those bumps, prefer a nice soft ride, kinda like taking a set of railroad tracks on my sofa ) Got to be a soft ride please
2- Low Low Low road noise...
3- Tread wear

The size of my tires are 225/45r/18 91V

The tires that I've narrowed it down to are:

1- Pirelli Centurato P7 All Season Plus ( reviews on these at tire rack were really good, especially where ride comfort and noise and tread life were concerned.) However a salesman at tire rack despite the reviews, he thought these might still be a "bit" stiff for my application.

2- Michelin MXM4. Not the greatest ratings on tire race but still very good. I've owned Michelins in the past just not this particular tire... this was the tire that tire rack sales said he thought would be best for me )

3- Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 3 plus.... very good reviews, but again the tire rack sales rep thought these might not be "cushy " enough for what I wanted.

4- Yokahama Avid Ascend.... Tire rack sales rep said stay away from them, but I have 2 friends ( both of them in the tire business and these are the tires they recommended. I can tell you that earlier this week I put a set of Yokohama Geolander H/T GO56 on my Toyota 4 runner and those tires are amazing... they replaced a set of bridgestone duellers that were very loud and somewhat a rough ride... But for the Lexus the geolander is not an option, the avid ascend is.

So there you have it... if some of you are thinking why not just take the word of the sales rep at tire rack, well I would only say that while I'm sure they know their tires, it's not the same as getting recommendatons from people who have actually bought and used the tire and know how they ride and how well they hold up.... Let me thank you all in advance for your input and I look forward to what you guys have to say... thanks again

Poppa
Old 10-21-16, 03:51 PM
daljaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Poppa,
I have a '14 ES 350 that came with Bridgestones and have to agree they were very rough and noisy tires. The same was true with my Avalon, which I traded
for the ES and which had Bridgestones as OEM. I replaced the Bridgestones on the ES with Michellin Premier. I have 17" wheels rather than 18, but what
a difference. The ride is now very quiet and smooth and the handling feels better. I have them inflated to 33lbs and this does not seem to make the ride an
harsher. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
rschlem1 (06-07-18)
Old 10-21-16, 05:24 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

These are probably my next set of tires
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...=031495&cs=225

But I wouldn't put on Yokahama's. I have yet to install a set on a car that didn't track the crevices in the freeways. The Pirelli's will probably give you the quietest ride. The michelins will be very similar. None are going to give you a cushy ride with 18's., not enough sidewall. Your best bet is to lower your air pressure a couple of lbs to about 30-31psi. or go to 17" wheels.
Old 10-22-16, 04:06 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't think you could go wrong with either the Pirelli's or the MX Michelins. I have the latter on my 14 ES and am pleased with both the ride and wear at 15k. For another option choice we recently replaced my wife's minivan tires with Good year Comfortreads and have been pleasantly surprised at the smoothness of the ride they also give. You might be able to get a set of them at a better price. In any event either of these tires will be a step up from the lousy Turanza's which I also had on a previous automobile.
Old 10-22-16, 05:36 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Fillykonk
For another option choice we recently replaced my wife's minivan tires with Good year Comfortreads and have been pleasantly surprised at the smoothness of the ride they also give..
I had a set of the Goodyear Comfortred Touring tires on my 2006 ES. They don't get much discussion on this board, but I thought that they were excellent tires. They were just as quiet and the ride was just as comfortable as what I got with either the Michelin MXV4 or MXM4 tires that I've had. The Michelin tires start with only 9/32 of an inch of tread. The Comfortred Touring tires start with 12/32 of an inch of tread, which means about 40% more usable tread. With the Goodyears I ended up getting about 50% more miles out of them than I've gotten with either of the Michelin tires. And, as a bonus, the Comfortred Touring tires were $30-40 less per tire than were the Michelins. They are certainly a tire worth considering.
Old 10-22-16, 06:41 AM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

I replaced my 2014 ES 350 with Pirelli Centurato P7 All Season Plus and haven't looked back. Very quiet, nice ride. I highly recommend them.
Old 10-22-16, 01:22 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kijug
I replaced my 2014 ES 350 with Pirelli Centurato P7 All Season Plus and haven't looked back. Very quiet, nice ride. I highly recommend them.
Thank you to all of you who have responded.. I appreciate it.. Kijug, just curious how long you have had the Pirelli's.. When I first started the search for new tires for the Lexus, the Pirelli's were the one's I originally thought I was going to get simply because the comparison chart at Tire Rack had them listed as the #1 Grand Touring tire. But I also read some reviews that after awhile the road noise go's from being almost nothing to being very bothersome.. also read reviews that said the tread life stays good for the first 20-25K, then it's like the tire just seems to wear down quickly, with guys saying there's no way that they'll get 60 or 70 thousand miles... also curious, did you get the same size tire i'm looking at because there are options between the 17" and 18" rims. I would have to get 225/45/18 load speead rating of 91V. Would you say the ride and noise level would be as good as the michelin's mxm4? Sorry for all the questions, Just want to make sure I get all the "real world" feed back I can get from people who have actually used these.. thanks again.

Poppa

Last edited by Poppa; 10-22-16 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-23-16, 08:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Definitely the Pirellis. That's what I have on the LS now and they're great. I had the MXM4 on my GS, nothing special.
Old 10-23-16, 11:23 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kijug
Originally Posted by SW15LS
Definitely the Pirellis. That's what I have on the LS now and they're great. I had the MXM4 on my GS, nothing special.
Thanks for the advice guys... can you tell me if we're talking about the "same" pirelli... I'm considering the Pirelli Centurato P7 All Season Plus......225-45-18 with a speed rating of V. I've read that they're great for the first half of the tread life then seem to wear down really quickly...AND while tread life is important, my two main concerns are ride quality and road noise.. how do you guys feel about those things. whatever I buy will be going on a 2013 ES 350

Last edited by Poppa; 10-24-16 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-24-16, 06:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, the Pirelli Cintirato P7 Plus. Mine are very smooth and quiet. I'm 15,000 miles in and they are wearing very nicely.
Old 10-24-16, 09:31 AM
Endzone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive a 2003 Toyota Avalon. Before this I had a 2000 Toyota Avalon. My tires have been Michelin Destiny, then Michelin Primacy, and now Pirelli Centurato P7 All Season Plus. Although the Michelin Primacy MXV4 was a very good tire, the Pirellis are the best tire I have ever owned in my life. I am a 60-year-old man, and my priorities are the same as yours. These tires are very quiet on the road and when going over bumps or going over cracks in the road, they take them very well--smooth and quiet. I bought mine at Discount Tire, but Discount Tire is calling theirs "Strada". I bought the Pirelli Centurato P7 All Season Plus, and there was only one Discount Tire store in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that had 4 of them. My tire size is a 205/60/16. They made my car feel like a new car. How long will they last? I don't know as I have only had them on my car for a month. The cost for my car was $120/tire.

Last edited by Endzone; 10-24-16 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-24-16, 09:41 AM
Endzone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A recent review of the Pirelli's on Toyota Nation:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...g-results.html
Old 10-24-16, 12:14 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
Thank you to all of you who have responded.. I appreciate it.. Kijug, just curious how long you have had the Pirelli's.. When I first started the search for new tires for the Lexus, the Pirelli's were the one's I originally thought I was going to get simply because the comparison chart at Tire Rack had them listed as the #1 Grand Touring tire. But I also read some reviews that after awhile the road noise go's from being almost nothing to being very bothersome.. also read reviews that said the tread life stays good for the first 20-25K, then it's like the tire just seems to wear down quickly, with guys saying there's no way that they'll get 60 or 70 thousand miles... also curious, did you get the same size tire i'm looking at because there are options between the 17" and 18" rims. I would have to get 225/45/18 load speead rating of 91V. Would you say the ride and noise level would be as good as the michelin's mxm4? Sorry for all the questions, Just want to make sure I get all the "real world" feed back I can get from people who have actually used these.. thanks again.

Poppa
I've had the tires for a about four months, I think. Still ride nice. I replace my tires early (15-20k), I think I drive too aggressively. Heh, one reason I got the ES to "slow me down". So it will be interesting to see how long these tires last. Yes, I believe i got the 225/45/18 and exactly the "Pirelli Centurato P7 All Season Plus". I don't recall offhand, but without the "Plus" you get a different tire...I'd have to look it up again. I got mine at Discount Tire locally. I enjoy their service.
Old 10-24-16, 01:02 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Another vote here for the P7 plus. Like Kijug, I replace my tires early. While I don't have them on our ES, I'm on the second set on my Honda Civic. With 35k miles on the first set, two were at 5/32 and two were at 6/32. America's Tire gave me 25 apiece trade in and I received $220 in rebates (160 America's Tire/60 Pirelli), so I got out the door for less than $300 - all in all a pretty good deal I thought. These tires are quiet, smooth riding, and seem to wear well - will probably buy again when the need arises.
Old 10-24-16, 02:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So the Plus. With Pirelli the "Plus" tires denote that they are not their OEM line tire. So the "Cinturato P7" is an OEM tire, they come on Audis, MB models, etc. The "Cinturato P7 Plus" is their aftermarket line. The reviews would certainly lead you to believe they are dramatically different, but IMHO TireRack reviews are biased against OEM tires. Most people review their OEM tires when they are old, after they've replaced them with new tires which are of course dramatically better than their worn out OEM tires. So of course, new tires get a great review, old tires get a crummy review. My guess is the tires are very similar. They certainly look identical.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new tire choices