ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

All fit,fail!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-16, 09:05 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default All fit,fail!

Well my all fit lasted less than a month when yesterday i noticed it was on the floor, I was upset as it made the car look so sexy, can I hear it and stick it back or is it a total loss?
Attached Thumbnails All fit,fail!-photo531.jpg   All fit,fail!-photo272.jpg   All fit,fail!-photo471.jpg  
Old 10-18-16, 10:45 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I could have told you.....is all i can think of to say.....Sorry
Old 10-18-16, 12:37 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Brent1944
I could have told you.....is all i can think of to say.....Sorry
Wait what are you saying?
Old 10-18-16, 12:54 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Im saying. basically that what happened...Happens....... with that stuff
Old 10-18-16, 01:26 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Brent1944
Im saying. basically that what happened...Happens....... with that stuff
Oh ok gotcha! You had one too? I barely had it a for a month not even
Old 10-18-16, 01:28 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

No I dont and dont plan on it......
Old 10-18-16, 05:58 PM
5Ws
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's really too bad. You seemed to like the look it made for the car.

Are you still against putting the screws in the bottom? If you really want to keep the look, it might be worth the commitment. Can probably salvage it with some thin double stick tape, but probably a temp fix without some stronger fixation.

I'm a little OCD with stick on stuff exposed to weather/wear. Based on your experience, I think I would replace the whole thing and use the screws. Little overkill, but that's OCD for you. Good luck with it.

Richard
Old 10-18-16, 06:02 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5Ws
That's really too bad. You seemed to like the look it made for the car.

Are you still against putting the screws in the bottom? If you really want to keep the look, it might be worth the commitment. Can probably salvage it with some thin double stick tape, but probably a temp fix without some stronger fixation.

I'm a little OCD with stick on stuff exposed to weather/wear. Based on your experience, I think I would replace the whole thing and use the screws. Little overkill, but that's OCD for you. Good luck with it.

Richard
Hey thanks for your advice bro, that's what the all fit people told me over the phone as well. As much as I like the look I'm def not gonna be drilling holes in 50k Lexus for a 40$ rubber strip. Life sucks but you move on. For now I have it tucked in underneath the car in a a little open section
Old 10-21-16, 10:42 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Here's my suggestion. PREP, PREP, PREP the surface....If the surface wasn't thoroughly cleaned initially this could be why it fell off.

Even though the molding probably came with 3M tape originally pre-installed, you are going to have to buy either 3M Auto Super Strength Molding tape or even one of the 3M HD Outdoor Mounting Tapes, both are weather resistant. If you want you could even buy a 3M adhesion promoter to use with the tape.

Make sure you remove any leftover adhesive from under your bumper and also from the rubber molding. Then make sure you thoroughly clean the rubber molding and under the bumper extremely well until they are both "squeaky clean". And then clean them again, I'm not kidding.

After that use a clean cloth and wipe down the areas on both surfaces with rubbing alcohol a couple of times and after it dries apply the tape, or follow the directions for the adhesion promoter before applying the tape.

Using the steps I mentioned above, I installed one of those rear window / roof spoilers on my middle son's Acura TL 4 years ago with the 3M Outdoor Tape. The car has been through snow, rain, temp changes and in those 4 years the spoiler is still (I probably just jinxed myself) extremely secure. If your prep is good I would be shocked if this 3M tape didn't work.

Last edited by JT4; 10-21-16 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-21-16, 11:02 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
Here's my suggestion. PREP, PREP, PREP the surface....If the surface wasn't thoroughly cleaned initially this could be why it fell off.

Even though the molding probably came with 3M tape originally pre-installed, you are going to have to buy either 3M Auto Super Strength Molding tape or even one of the 3M HD Outdoor Mounting Tapes, both are weather resistant. If you want you could even buy a 3M adhesion promoter to use with the tape.

Make sure you remove any leftover adhesive from under your bumper and also from the rubber molding. Then make sure you thoroughly clean the rubber molding and under the bumper extremely well until they are both "squeaky clean". And then clean them again, I'm not kidding.

After that use a clean cloth and wipe down the areas on both surfaces with rubbing alcohol a couple of times and after it dries apply the tape, or follow the directions for the adhesion promoter before applying the tape.

Using the steps I mentioned above, I installed one of those rear window / roof spoilers on my middle son's Acura TL 4 years ago with the 3M Outdoor Tape. The car has been through snow, rain, temp changes and in those 4 years the spoiler is still (I probably just jinxed myself) extremely secure. If your prep is good I would be shocked if this 3M tape didn't work.

There is no doubt about it. Surface preparation is the key. I've installed bug shields on pickups and sunroof wind deflectors using only tape, and, with proper surface preparation, I've had no issues. Also, I have no question the 3M makes the best tapes. I'm not sure what they have figured out that others haven't, but I've had better success with their products than I have with any others. That said, I'm not sure whether the location on the vehicle of the OPs installation might make it more vulnerable to stress from objects striking it or even wind to the extent that the installation might be more susceptible to failure than it would be with other locations on the vehicle.
Old 10-21-16, 11:24 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
There is no doubt about it. Surface preparation is the key. I've installed bug shields on pickups and sunroof wind deflectors using only tape, and, with proper surface preparation, I've had no issues. Also, I have no question the 3M makes the best tapes. I'm not sure what they have figured out that others haven't, but I've had better success with their products than I have with any others. That said, I'm not sure whether the location on the vehicle of the OPs installation might make it more vulnerable to stress from objects striking it or even wind to the extent that the installation might be more susceptible to failure than it would be with other locations on the vehicle.
I was thinking the same thing, especially due to the wind / down-force that grabs the lower part of the front bumper in that location, it has a tendency to pull parts off if not secured correctly.. But I know a few people that prepped really well and have installed splitters with only 3M tape and they are still on, and IMO there is a lot more down-force on a splitter then on that rubber molding. However, others that didn't prep well can't get an emblem to stay on..

Last edited by JT4; 10-21-16 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-21-16, 11:40 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JT4

Originally Posted by lesz
Oh believe me i prepped the hell out of my bunker before putting the lip on it was literally squeaking. I think I know what the culprit was, I sprayed wd40 on my grill cause I had dried bits of plasti dip on it. And that's what cause the tape to loose its adhesion
Old 10-21-16, 12:56 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Oh believe me i prepped the hell out of my bunker before putting the lip on it was literally squeaking. I think I know what the culprit was, I sprayed wd40 on my grill cause I had dried bits of plasti dip on it. And that's what cause the tape to loose its adhesion
That will do it. It dissolves adhesive. Always follow up any chemical like that with a cleaner like isopropyl alcohol to counteract the effect when finished.
Old 10-21-16, 01:19 PM
yulin91732
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the all lip on for a while, it holding on well
Old 10-21-16, 02:24 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yulin91732
i have the all lip on for a while, it holding on well
😍😍😍😍 makes want a solution so much faster now!!!!

Quick Reply: All fit,fail!