ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Quick Red Flasing Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-16, 08:49 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Quick Red Flasing Light

This Am as I was driving about 35 mph in town, I noticed for a brief second a red blink in a square on my dash with a beep. was so quick i couldnt see it it said anything.. I had it compas mode I recall that.. I have a 2016 ES...Never had that and havent had it after that..
Old 10-11-16, 09:07 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

In your vehicle manual, there is an explanation of what all of the lights mean. If you know the approximate location of the light, you should be able to use the pictorial section of the manual (near the beginning of the manual) to figure out which light was lit and what it means.
Old 10-11-16, 01:39 PM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like it may have been the Pre-Collision System (if equipped) .
Old 10-11-16, 05:56 PM
5Ws
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amphiprion
Sounds like it may have been the Pre-Collision System (if equipped) .
*Nod*

That's what has been described sounds like. Do you remember the driving conditions? Did you come close to a car that was turning or something?

Richard
Old 10-12-16, 04:25 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Ill ck the manual..No there were no cars around...
Old 10-12-16, 02:31 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Smile

I have a 2014 ES/UL with the updated/replaced PCS. Nonetheless, the red-light warning does go off in extremely rare circumstances. First, I find it odd that it lights on the dash--for about a half a second--when you're looking on the road for potential collision. When I first saw the flash, just like the OP I wondered what it was. Anyway, if the road turns tightly while going, say 35-40 MPH in a residential area, and there is a well-placed road sign--stop, yield, warning, construction, anything big and reflecting--that seems to be what can trigger the impact-warning light. There is one curve in town where I can get this about 25% of the time, depends what lane I'm in and what direction my car is actually steering at the "right moment", which I'm still not quite sure when that is.

The light is in the manual, that's where I confirmed what I saw. It's part of the PCS and now the Safety System with 2016 cars, and warns of [potential] impending collision. Nothing happens...yet. If the car detects the collision is imminent (I don't know, one foot and still traveling?!) then the brakes will be applied, the seat belts will lock up, and the brakes are primed. If you have DCC (Dynamic Cruise Control) then engage it as you come to a stoplight. When you slow down and come close to a car and the DCC "beeps" and disengages at 25 MPH, press the brake right-then. You'll notice the brakes are primed and less than a cm or so (it seems) of travel to fully engage the brakes. Release the pedal and press again and the brakes will be normal. I did have the seat belt tighten on me one time. Freaky, let me tell you. There was no one else in the car. Feels like someone is touching you. By the time I realized what was going on, I was past whatever caused it, and don't recall what caused it. It was weird though.

That's my experience so far with PCS and DCC. I use DCC a lot and sense the PCS working on occasion (well, it's working all the time, even if DCC is not engaged.)

Have fun and safe travels!
Old 10-12-16, 02:56 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

That may be it, there was construction around..Thanks for the post. I thought I was seeing things.lol
Old 10-12-16, 04:27 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Kijug
I have a 2014 ES/UL with the updated/replaced PCS. Nonetheless, the red-light warning does go off in extremely rare circumstances. First, I find it odd that it lights on the dash--for about a half a second--when you're looking on the road for potential collision. When I first saw the flash, just like the OP I wondered what it was. Anyway, if the road turns tightly while going, say 35-40 MPH in a residential area, and there is a well-placed road sign--stop, yield, warning, construction, anything big and reflecting--that seems to be what can trigger the impact-warning light. There is one curve in town where I can get this about 25% of the time, depends what lane I'm in and what direction my car is actually steering at the "right moment", which I'm still not quite sure when that is.

The light is in the manual, that's where I confirmed what I saw. It's part of the PCS and now the Safety System with 2016 cars, and warns of [potential] impending collision. Nothing happens...yet. If the car detects the collision is imminent (I don't know, one foot and still traveling?!) then the brakes will be applied, the seat belts will lock up, and the brakes are primed. If you have DCC (Dynamic Cruise Control) then engage it as you come to a stoplight. When you slow down and come close to a car and the DCC "beeps" and disengages at 25 MPH, press the brake right-then. You'll notice the brakes are primed and less than a cm or so (it seems) of travel to fully engage the brakes. Release the pedal and press again and the brakes will be normal. I did have the seat belt tighten on me one time. Freaky, let me tell you. There was no one else in the car. Feels like someone is touching you. By the time I realized what was going on, I was past whatever caused it, and don't recall what caused it. It was weird though.

That's my experience so far with PCS and DCC. I use DCC a lot and sense the PCS working on occasion (well, it's working all the time, even if DCC is not engaged.)

Have fun and safe travels!
I have experienced the same thing on my 2013 with the updated PCS. I have not had time to get my 2015 updated yet. I also use DCC all the time and think it is great.
Old 10-12-16, 04:33 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

You use DCC in town?
Old 10-12-16, 04:39 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent1944
You use DCC in town?
Yes I use it in town but my in town is mostly open roads with 45 mph plus roads and a good distance between red lights. It is not as congested here in GA where I live as it was in Bergen County, NJ where I lived 9 years ago. I do not believe I would use it in town up there.