ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2GR FE Mods - Anyone attempt this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 02:30 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 2GR FE Mods - Anyone attempt this?

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I know its not practical. Yes, I know it is expensive. Everything I'm saying is just hypothetical unless anyone actually tried this, which would be awesome.

So while I was researching what car I wanted to get, I found that the 5th and 6th generation ES350s both have the 2GR FE engine, which has a lot of aftermarket potential due to it being the same engine in the Lotus Evora. Now the two units probably have their differences, but a lot of the parts on the website below are compatible with all 2GR FE engines. Just so much as a compression ratio upgrade to 12.0 will add about 50hp and a raise to 13.2 will add 75hp (on E85), or you can reduce it to 9.0 for turbo and supercharger applications just by changing the pistons. They also have different valves and camshafts capable of revving over 8000 rpm. A new engine block can also increase the displacement to 3.7L instead of 3.5, so you'll get the higher torque of a large displacement engine. Rebuilding an engine would be ridiculously expensive, but if someone were to actually put in the money for this, you could build a N/A monster of an engine making well over 350HP that revs to over 7500 RPM and probably sounds amazing. Would be a complete sleeper.

Basically I just want to hear thoughts, and if someone actually did put some parts in their engine, whether or not its worth it.

The parts website:
https://monkeywrenchracing.com/produ...ry/lotusevora/
Old 10-10-16, 08:43 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kitabel
a compression ratio upgrade to 12.0 will add about 50hp and a raise to 13.2 will add 75hp

And the source of this information is?
http://prntscr.com/cscm1k 12.0
http://prntscr.com/cscm88 13.2
Old 10-11-16, 10:28 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kitabel
Thanks.
I'm doubtful, but I suppose it's possible. Ordinarily, a 16% increase (300 > 350) is far more than is obtainable with a simple compression increase.
The website does say works on all 2GR FE applications. So assuming that is the case, it probably is possible. If I got an ES350 instead of an IS350, I would absolutely attempt this. Or if their parts worked on the 2GR FSE engine. It would be ridiculously expensive though, probably well over $10k for a completely new engine rebuild.

Keep in mind the website is going to make their product more appealing by throwing around words and numbers. The increase could be a bit less, but still with all the parts there, you could really transform the car...