ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Trunk chrome trim

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-16, 07:23 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Trunk chrome trim

Hey does anyone know how to remove the chrome trim on the trunk?
Old 10-08-16, 01:26 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
I can let you know after Monday or Tuesday.
Old 10-08-16, 01:44 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ratchey
I can let you know after Monday or Tuesday.
Ok no problem
Old 10-11-16, 07:49 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

You need to remove the clips in the liner in the trunk lid.
Then you pop off the cover on the trunk release and the liner will come out.
You need to remove the tail lights first.
Then there are 2 bolts behind the tail lights that you need to remove.
Then from under the trunk lid (back side of the trim piece) there are 6 nuts that need to be removed.
Then there are 2 green pins/clips that need to be compressed. I used a small deep socket to do that.
Then the chrome piece will come out.
Attached Thumbnails Trunk chrome trim-trim1.jpg   Trunk chrome trim-trim2.jpg   Trunk chrome trim-trim3.jpg   Trunk chrome trim-trim4.jpg   Trunk chrome trim-trim5.jpg  

Old 10-11-16, 07:51 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

You need to remove the clips in the liner in the trunk lid.
Then you pop off the cover on the trunk release and the liner will come out.
You need to remove the tail lights first.
Then there are 2 bolts behind the tail lights that you need to remove.
Then from under the trunk lid (back side of the trim piece) there are 6 nuts that need to be removed.
Then there are 2 green pins/clips that need to be compressed. I used a small deep socket to do that.
Then the chrome piece will come out.
thanks man! youve been a real help for the tail lights you just dissconnect the plug right? how long did this take you? and what size are the bolts and nuts?
Old 10-11-16, 07:57 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

thanks man! youve been a real help for the tail lights you just dissconnect the plug right? how long did this take you?
There are 4 nuts to remove, then unhook the harness.
Maybe 30 minutes. There are a lot of clips on the liner.
And it took a while to figure out how to release the green clips.

Ran into a problem with the door handles. Can't figure out how to get them back on.
I have to research this tonight. Only removed one side, so still have the drivers side on as a last resort reference.
They are a nightmare to remove and reinstall. But it makes wrapping the doors so much easier.
Old 10-11-16, 07:58 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

There are 4 nuts to remove, then unhook the harness.
Maybe 30 minutes. There are a lot of clips on the liner.
And it took a while to figure out how to release the green clips.

Ran into a problem with the door handles. Can't figure out how to get them back on.
I have to research this tonight. Only removed one side, so still have the drivers side on as a last resort reference.
They are a nightmare to remove and reinstall. But it makes wrapping the doors so much easier.
how much have you wrapped so far? and what other tool can i use to remove the green clips?
Old 10-11-16, 08:07 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

how much have you wrapped so far? and what other tool can i use to remove the green clips?
Have completed the hood, passenger front fender, passenger front door, and passenger quarter panel and strip over the doors.
In the morning we will do the rear door and trunk. Once we figure out the door handles, then I can remove them from the other side. We can then do those doors, then the rocker panels.
Probably do the rear bumper after that, then the two front corner pieces as they will be the hardest.

You might be able to do the clips with needle nose pliers. The clips are kind of hard to get to though.

And if for some reason you decide to pull the rear lip off, good luck with that. There are 3 clips besides the 2 bolts. Can't cut through the 3m tape with fish line. That was a major headache.
Old 10-11-16, 08:12 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Have completed the hood, passenger front fender, passenger front door, and passenger quarter panel and strip over the doors.
In the morning we will do the rear door and trunk. Once we figure out the door handles, then I can remove them from the other side. We can then do those doors, then the rocker panels.
Probably do the rear bumper after that, then the two front corner pieces as they will be the hardest.

You might be able to do the clips with needle nose pliers. The clips are kind of hard to get to though.

And if for some reason you decide to pull the rear lip off, good luck with that. There are 3 clips besides the 2 bolts. Can't cut through the 3m tape with fish line. That was a major headache.
if you dont mind can you show me pics? oh and i forgot to ask how do you remove the camera trunk lights, and switch from the chrome trim?

Last edited by imrankh24; 10-11-16 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-11-16, 08:25 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

if you dont mind can you show me pics? oh and i forgot to ask how do you remove the camera trunk lights, and switch from the chrome trim?
If I remember correctly, they stay attached to the trunk. I know the lights just have a clip on one side. The camera has clips on both sides, just squeeze and push into the trunk. I can't remember how the lock attaches. It was really simple to remove though.

I will post up pics once we finish and can move the car outside. The color looks really weird under the LED lights in the shop.
Old 10-11-16, 08:29 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

If I remember correctly, they stay attached to the trunk. I know the lights just have a clip on one side. The camera has clips on both sides, just squeeze and push into the trunk. I can't remember how the lock attaches. It was really simple to remove though.

I will post up pics once we finish and can move the car outside. The color looks really weird under the LED lights in the shop.
ok thanks man will be dipping my chrome during the weekend on the strip! and when you tske the liner and expose everything is it easy to remove the emblem?
Old 10-11-16, 08:33 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

ok thanks man will be dipping my chrome during the weekend on the strip! and when you tske the liner and expose everything is it easy to remove the emblem?
You will need some fish line or something similar. There are 2 guide pins, one on the right and one on the left.
You will need to saw through the tape from the top half way down, the do the same from the bottom up. Then use a panel tool to carefully pry it up.
You will need some emblem tape to reattach.
This is what I ordered
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-13-16, 05:24 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

You will need some fish line or something similar. There are 2 guide pins, one on the right and one on the left.
You will need to saw through the tape from the top half way down, the do the same from the bottom up. Then use a panel tool to carefully pry it up.
You will need some emblem tape to reattach.
This is what I ordered
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ok so I tried to remove it yesterday I did 90% but how do you loosen the nuts for the back up camera since they are deep in the trunk?
Old 10-13-16, 08:40 AM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Ok so I tried to remove it yesterday I did 90% but how do you loosen the nuts for the back up camera since they are deep in the trunk?
You need to use a deep well socket and an extension
Old 10-17-16, 01:14 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

You need to use a deep well socket and an extension
Hey man how did the wrap come out? And one question how did you remove the outside tail lights?

Quick Reply: Trunk chrome trim