ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

First oil change?-10k mile or sooner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-16, 05:03 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First oil change?-10k mile or sooner?

First Lexus and was just wondering if everyone is following the new 10000mi oil change guideline or are people doing it more frequently? I know that's Lexus' recommendations but never gone that long but I don't want to overdo it either. Any advice would be appreciated from the long term Lexus owners. I want to drive this one for a long time, thanks. Also wanted to know if everyone is taking it to the dealer for the most part for the early service visits during the warranty period
Old 09-30-16, 05:43 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

With the very high quality of synthetic oil which does not degrade at the rate that natural oil does, you could probably safely go 15k miles without a change. I change my own oil and after one year the oil was so clean that I had to check it twice on the dipstick. My car just turned 4 years old, I believe that you should simply follow the manufacturer's schedule and recommendations for service. I used the dealer for the free services and after that either an independent mechanic or I did it myself. I do tire rotation at Walmart for $10.00. Oil changes can be done at Lexus with free coffee and doughnuts, or at a Toyota dealer for much less money without doughnuts. Same oil, same filter... Keep receipts and paperwork and you're covered for the warranty.
Old 09-30-16, 05:52 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I always follow the 10k/12 month recommendation. No issues.
Old 09-30-16, 06:21 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Thanks feel better about it now. What about the 5000k it's free but sounds like mainly a tire rotation and ck fluids you think it's still important to make time for it? Does it matter if you go right at 5k to take it to 6k? I'm planning to keep this car for quite awhile so want to make sure I do what I need to, thanks for the info
Old 09-30-16, 06:52 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by prosgal73
Thanks feel better about it now. What about the 5000k it's free but sounds like mainly a tire rotation and ck fluids you think it's still important to make time for it? Does it matter if you go right at 5k to take it to 6k? I'm planning to keep this car for quite awhile so want to make sure I do what I need to, thanks for the info
Around 5k will be fine...
Old 09-30-16, 07:33 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Thanks, by the way do you trust dealerships to service your car or you like the independent shops. I guess the first complimentary services are worth getting but I'm always worried they'll try to upsell something. Dunno maybe I'm paranoid because of my past experiences. Maybe Lexus is different? Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by bc6152
Around 5k will be fine...
Old 09-30-16, 08:29 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Each dealer will be different, but I have always just told them what I wanted and they've never tried to upsell any additional services, but if they do try, you always have the right to say no.
Old 09-30-16, 09:29 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Thanks. Yes right of refusal and getting a second opinion is smart. My old car had runflats and when I got a nails in them the dealer always tried to sell me a whole new tire saying the couldn't be patched, but I found out soon enough that my local tire had no problem patching them and I never had a problem with it afterwards. So between that and other things the trust isn't there but gotta keep an open mind.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Each dealer will be different, but I have always just told them what I wanted and they've never tried to upsell any additional services, but if they do try, you always have the right to say no.
Old 10-01-16, 08:06 AM
Eolafan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2015 ES350 turned a year old in late September and has just shy of 4,000 miles on it. I took it in at six months for the 5K service and then just before its first birthday for the 10K service including oil change. My plan is to bring it in each twelve months for scheduled service regardless of mileage.
Old 10-01-16, 09:03 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

agree with all other answers. Which part of Calif are you in?

With the synthetic oil in our new 6th Gen ES's, the 10K interval is just fine (as mentioned, could go even longer. With the older ES's where regular oil was recommended, 5K was the recommendation, which is what i used to do on my old ES 3rd Gen. I just kept using reg oil, never went up to synthetic. But for my new ES i will stick with synthetic and every 10K miles. ). Only reason to consider more frequent changes of synthetic might be if you truly are in a very dusty environment. As you mentioned, the 5K dealership 1st service is primarily to rotate tires, plus they will check and top of your fluids.
I plan to go to Lexus and have them do this as part of the free service (but still haven't decided exactly which dealership. The dealership I bought from is a bit far for regular visits). Keep in mind, if you have questions about the tech stuff or want some things changed that are not changeable by owner, they are supposed to do this for you as a courtesy . So keep a list of these types of items. Depending on dealer - you may get free car wash too (particularly if it is the dealership you bought from), and coffee donuts etc.

Once you start paying - many dealerships have a service package per mileage interval that you get stuck with, but for me that is usually ok. When going to my dealership with my last 3rd Gen ES, they would not try to upsell on other stuff, but I knew they were making profit on the comprehensive service visits (> $100 for basic 5K mile service where you could probably get oil change/tire rotation elsewhere for $30-50 or even less). For me it was worth it for peace of mind and they took care of me well, found some issues early that were covered under warranty etc. But this may vary based on dealership. What you don't want is to get upsold on unnecessary or early radiator, brake, transmission fluid replacements/flushes etc. Keep track of your owners manual to make sure of this!

Originally Posted by prosgal73
Thanks, by the way do you trust dealerships to service your car or you like the independent shops. I guess the first complimentary services are worth getting but I'm always worried they'll try to upsell something. Dunno maybe I'm paranoid because of my past experiences. Maybe Lexus is different? Any thoughts?
Old 10-01-16, 09:05 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

I use my Lexus dealer, I trust them and the prices are reasonable. Also, I believe no one knows the car as well as a Lexus dealer and this gives me piece of mind which is priceless. In my younger days, I would not let anyone touch my cars, I did all the work but those days are gone. Of course, your mileage may vary as I am sure, like everything, some dealers are good and some are not so good.
Old 10-01-16, 09:15 AM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
agree with all other answers. Which part of Calif are you in?

With the synthetic oil in our new 6th Gen ES's, the 10K interval is just fine (as mentioned, could go even longer. With the older ES's where regular oil was recommended, 5K was the recommendation, which is what i used to do on my old ES 3rd Gen. I just kept using reg oil, never went up to synthetic. But for my new ES i will stick with synthetic and every 10K miles. ). Only reason to consider more frequent changes of synthetic might be if you truly are in a very dusty environment. As you mentioned, the 5K dealership 1st service is primarily to rotate tires, plus they will check and top of your fluids.
I plan to go to Lexus and have them do this as part of the free service (but still haven't decided exactly which dealership. The dealership I bought from is a bit far for regular visits). Keep in mind, if you have questions about the tech stuff or want some things changed that are not changeable by owner, they are supposed to do this for you as a courtesy . So keep a list of these types of items. Depending on dealer - you may get free car wash too (particularly if it is the dealership you bought from), and coffee donuts etc.
Never, ever let the dealer wash your car (just my opinion).
Old 10-01-16, 09:15 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

agree with Jollick also

For my last (3rd Gen) ES, I used the dealer exclusively until the warranty was out, and then a bit longer (this was in the Boston area). I had no regrets and was very happy with doing that, knowing well that I was paying more than I could have had I gone to a toyota place. A couple of things under warranty came up and they were very good about taking
care of these promptly and easily, with loaner car provided. I wondered whether they would have been so nice if I had been doing regular stuff at toyota and coming to dealer only for major problems. I suspected that the regular relationship/customer status helped. For sure they were profiting off me for the regular oil changes .

Then I moved to california and found an independent shop nearby, run by a guy who was formerly a master technician at one of the lexus dealerships. This worked out great and was reasonable in price, but not as convenient as the dealership (no weekend hours, no easy loaners etc).

For my new car, I plan to do the same as before - use dealership until at least the warranty expires, then maybe go back to the independent guy.

Originally Posted by jollick
I use my Lexus dealer, I trust them and the prices are reasonable. Also, I believe no one knows the car as well as a Lexus dealer and this gives me piece of mind which is priceless. In my younger days, I would not let anyone touch my cars, I did all the work but those days are gone. Of course, your mileage may vary as I am sure, like everything, some dealers are good and some are not so good.
Old 10-01-16, 09:19 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

comment noted and in some cases I agree - but I think this varies by dealership. Some have their own machines, that may vary in style/quality. Some contract out to a local car wash. I think it depends on how/what they do.
For my wife's acura - the dealership we go to has a crew of 4 guys who just wash cars by hand with water from hoses and soft clothes. I have watched them closely- they use clean cloths and rotate them appropriately. I fully trust that acura dealership to do washes in that way. But I would not allow a dealership to run my car through an automatic machine with nylon brushes!

Originally Posted by user420
Never, ever let the dealer wash your car (just my opinion).
Old 10-01-16, 09:20 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

cloths not clothes

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
comment noted and in some cases I agree - but I think this varies by dealership. Some have their own machines, that may vary in style/quality. Some contract out to a local car wash. I think it depends on how/what they do.
For my wife's acura - the dealership we go to has a crew of 4 guys who just wash cars by hand with water from hoses and soft clothes. I have watched them closely- they use clean cloths and rotate them appropriately. I fully trust that acura dealership to do washes in that way. But I would not allow a dealership to run my car through an automatic machine with nylon brushes!

Quick Reply: First oil change?-10k mile or sooner?