ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Does the back windshield have a special hydrophobic coating?

Old 09-28-16, 09:47 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does the back windshield have a special hydrophobic coating?

Finding out new things about my car every day....is there a special coating on the Windows? Is it a water repellant windshield? the water swears when I try to wipe it down with water...How does everyone clean their windows?

Last edited by prosgal73; 09-28-16 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-29-16, 04:50 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by prosgal73
the water swears when I try to wipe it down with water.
Wow! I would take it back and demand the PG version of the ES!

I have no issue when cleaning my windows.
Old 09-29-16, 05:15 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Finding out new things about my car every day....is there a special coating on the Windows? Is it a water repellant windshield? the water swears when I try to wipe it down with water...How does everyone clean their windows?
The front side windows do have a water repellent. http://www.lexusdrives.com/pub-share...s-Windows.html

What are acoustic glass and water-repellent glass?
As its name suggests, acoustic glass has special sound-deadening qualities that help enhance the quietness of the ride. On Lexus vehicles so equipped, this can help prevent external noises and create the quiet cabin environment that Lexus vehicles are known for. (Acoustic glass is typically used for the windshield, and on some Lexus models the front driver and passenger doors.)

Lexus’ water-repellent glass is a feature that’s been around for the better part of a decade, and in current models it’s found on the driver and front-passenger windows. It has a titanium-silica coating that helps the water bead up and run off. This safety (and convenience) feature helps keep the windows clear when it’s raining, making it easier to see the mirrors.

The effect is similar to that of aftermarket window treatments, the difference being that the treatment is permanent and requires no special care beyond normal cleaning. Here again, you can observe the difference by comparing the behavior of water on the front and rear passenger windows: in front, rain will bead up and roll off quickly, whereas in the rear, the water tends to sheet.
Old 09-29-16, 05:58 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
The front side windows do have a water repellent. http://www.lexusdrives.com/pub-share...s-Windows.html

What are acoustic glass and water-repellent glass?
As its name suggests, acoustic glass has special sound-deadening qualities that help enhance the quietness of the ride. On Lexus vehicles so equipped, this can help prevent external noises and create the quiet cabin environment that Lexus vehicles are known for. (Acoustic glass is typically used for the windshield, and on some Lexus models the front driver and passenger doors.)

Lexus’ water-repellent glass is a feature that’s been around for the better part of a decade, and in current models it’s found on the driver and front-passenger windows. It has a titanium-silica coating that helps the water bead up and run off. This safety (and convenience) feature helps keep the windows clear when it’s raining, making it easier to see the mirrors.

The effect is similar to that of aftermarket window treatments, the difference being that the treatment is permanent and requires no special care beyond normal cleaning. Here again, you can observe the difference by comparing the behavior of water on the front and rear passenger windows: in front, rain will bead up and roll off quickly, whereas in the rear, the water tends to sheet.
Great info Jollick. Didn't know this. Thanks...
Old 09-29-16, 06:14 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

In spite of the claims of Lexus about the water repellent characteristics of the windshields and front side windows being permanent, I question whether it is truly "permanent".

All 3 of the Lexus vehicles that I've owned have had the water repellent glass on their windshields and front side windows. With all 3, I've been impressed with how nicely rain water beaded on the glass when the vehicles were new. With the older 2 of those vehicles, though, it seemed as if, after 5 or 6 years, the water was not beading to the same extent that it was when the vehicles were new, and, even with my 2013 ES, it seems that water does not bead as nicely as it did when it was new.

While it may be the case that the water repellent characteristic lasts much longer than a treatment with a product such as Rain-X, I'm not sure if it is truly "permanent".
Old 09-29-16, 07:16 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Finding out new things about my car every day....is there a special coating on the Windows? Is it a water repellant windshield? the water smears when I try to wipe it. How does everyone clean their windows?

Last edited by prosgal73; 09-29-16 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-29-16, 07:18 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

At pat this point might be too late just realized this wiping down my window but I usually spray it down that's why didn't notice before....what's the PG version

Originally Posted by Mike728

Last edited by prosgal73; 09-29-16 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-29-16, 07:22 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Finding out new things about my car every day....is there a special coating on the Windows? Is it a water repellent windshield? the water swears when I try to wipe it. How does everyone clean their windows?
I use a glass cleaner called Cinch as it has no ammonia. Then I spray a very slight mist of water on the glass and I use a white face cloth towel, that has NOT been in the dryer with a fabric softener, and give it a final wipe until dry. This has worked for me to eliminate all streaking. The key to it it, for me, is to never use a towel that has had fabric softener applied in any way.
Old 09-29-16, 07:28 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

.what's the PG version
The version that doesn't swear. I can only assume you've mistyped smear 2x now???

I've not noticed my glass repelling water any differently than any other car I've recently owned. I still need the wipers in the rain and cleaning seems to be no different.
Old 09-29-16, 07:30 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

At this point might be too late just realized this wiping down my window but I usually spray it down that's why didn't notice before....what's the PG version

Last edited by prosgal73; 09-29-16 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-29-16, 07:33 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Thanks for for sharing the tip. It's strange everything is fine once it drys but the way the water sits on it and Wipes down is odd

Originally Posted by jollick
I use a glass cleaner called Cinch as it has no ammonia. Then I spray a very slight mist of water on the glass and I use a white face cloth towel, that has NOT been in the dryer with a fabric softener, and give it a final wipe until dry. This has worked for me to eliminate all streaking. The key to it it, for me, is to never use a towel that has had fabric softener applied in any way.
Old 09-29-16, 07:36 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Sorry I meant smear...thank you for the clarification appreciate it. I get it haha haven't had my morning coffee duh! Delayed response

The version that doesn't swear. I can only assume you've mistyped smear 2x now???

I've not noticed my glass repelling water any differently than any other car I've recently owned. I still need the wipers in the rain and cleaning seems to be no different.

Last edited by prosgal73; 09-29-16 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-29-16, 04:24 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

There's a detailer in my area who offers a glass-silica coating . Not sure if that is a similar thing. They say that it lasts 6-12 months, longer than wax. See:
http://edenautogroom.com

Originally Posted by lesz
In spite of the claims of Lexus about the water repellent characteristics of the windshields and front side windows being permanent, I question whether it is truly "permanent".

All 3 of the Lexus vehicles that I've owned have had the water repellent glass on their windshields and front side windows. With all 3, I've been impressed with how nicely rain water beaded on the glass when the vehicles were new. With the older 2 of those vehicles, though, it seemed as if, after 5 or 6 years, the water was not beading to the same extent that it was when the vehicles were new, and, even with my 2013 ES, it seems that water does not bead as nicely as it did when it was new.

While it may be the case that the water repellent characteristic lasts much longer than a treatment with a product such as Rain-X, I'm not sure if it is truly "permanent".
Old 09-30-16, 04:29 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not notice the water repelling property but for some reason, I feel that it is defrosting/defogging a little slower that in my old ES300.
Does anyone else have that feeling?
Old 09-30-16, 01:57 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

I use Meguiar's Glass Cleaner, it comes in a gallon jug in concentrated(10x) form, so you are getting actually 11 gallons of cleaner.

Hands down the best automotive glass cleaner, no smearing and pitting, cleans very well, and smells like candy.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-D120...dp/B0006SH4KU/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does the back windshield have a special hydrophobic coating?