ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Does the back windshield have a special hydrophobic coating?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-16, 03:36 PM
5Ws
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
The front side windows do have a water repellent. http://www.lexusdrives.com/pub-share...s-Windows.html

What are acoustic glass and water-repellent glass?
As its name suggests, acoustic glass has special sound-deadening qualities that help enhance the quietness of the ride. On Lexus vehicles so equipped, this can help prevent external noises and create the quiet cabin environment that Lexus vehicles are known for. (Acoustic glass is typically used for the windshield, and on some Lexus models the front driver and passenger doors.)

Lexus’ water-repellent glass is a feature that’s been around for the better part of a decade, and in current models it’s found on the driver and front-passenger windows. It has a titanium-silica coating that helps the water bead up and run off. This safety (and convenience) feature helps keep the windows clear when it’s raining, making it easier to see the mirrors.

The effect is similar to that of aftermarket window treatments, the difference being that the treatment is permanent and requires no special care beyond normal cleaning. Here again, you can observe the difference by comparing the behavior of water on the front and rear passenger windows: in front, rain will bead up and roll off quickly, whereas in the rear, the water tends to sheet.
And I thought the answer would have been a simple 'nope' or something similar. Ah hah. Thanks Prosgal for asking the question and Jollik for the informative answer. Pretty fancy.

Richard
Old 02-11-17, 11:27 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
In spite of the claims of Lexus about the water repellent characteristics of the windshields and front side windows being permanent, I question whether it is truly "permanent".

All 3 of the Lexus vehicles that I've owned have had the water repellent glass on their windshields and front side windows. With all 3, I've been impressed with how nicely rain water beaded on the glass when the vehicles were new. With the older 2 of those vehicles, though, it seemed as if, after 5 or 6 years, the water was not beading to the same extent that it was when the vehicles were new, and, even with my 2013 ES, it seems that water does not bead as nicely as it did when it was new.

While it may be the case that the water repellent characteristic lasts much longer than a treatment with a product such as Rain-X, I'm not sure if it is truly "permanent".
Drove my ES300h and my wife's acura in successive days in recent rain storms in my area, and the hydrophobic coating on the windshield of the Lexus really is impressive. On the highway, if at adequate speed, I found that it was actually unnecessary, perhaps even worse running the wipers! Without the wipers running, the water beaded off very efficiently! I could see better like that than when wipers were running! In contrast, in the acura with no coating, wipers were essential.

Lesz - what did you do in past cars when you found the coating wore off within 5-6 years? did you get any particular coating put on by a detailer?
Old 02-11-17, 12:42 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow

Lesz - what did you do in past cars when you found the coating wore off within 5-6 years? did you get any particular coating put on by a detailer?
No, I didn't do anything after it started to become ineffective, but my perception still is that, while it works very well when the car is new, its effectiveness diminishes over time. Since Lexus has been using this on windshields and front side windows for a good number of years, I'd also like to believe that, over the course of time, they have improved the process to make it permanent or, at least, more long lasting.