ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2016 Fog light trim removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-16, 09:50 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
Default 2016 Fog light trim removal

Has anyone removed the trim piece around the fog light? Was just wondering if it screws in from the back or just clips in from the front.
Old 09-27-16, 06:37 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchey
Has anyone removed the trim piece around the fog light? Was just wondering if it screws in from the back or just clips in from the front.
I'm also wondering about this. And the chrome around the grille?
Old 10-02-16, 09:37 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Did you ever figure out how to do this?
Old 10-02-16, 10:43 AM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by imrankh24
If I have time, I will look into it over the next couple of days, otherwise I will figure it out next week when we start disassembling for the wrap.
Old 10-02-16, 09:27 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

If I have time, I will look into it over the next couple of days, otherwise I will figure it out next week when we start disassembling for the wrap.
What color wrap? And will you be doing the grille chrome?
Old 10-02-16, 10:01 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

What color wrap? And will you be doing the grille chrome?
Car will be blue. Chrome trim will be either a matte metallic magnetic gray or Satin black. Haven;t decided on that. All chrome that I can will be covered.
Old 10-03-16, 08:20 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

I managed to get the fog light trim off today. It isn't bolted, just ctabs, but I don't think it could be removed from the front without breaking them.
I ended up pulling off the under engine liner then removing the fog light and housings to access the tabs. The second one is a lot easier than the first.

As far as the grill chrome strip, I believe it uses the same type of tabs. I had he upper radiator cover off to run a 4ga wire and looked for an easy way to remove that.
I think that will require removal of the whole grill and possible the bumper to access the tabs. I am going to skip that part and try to wrap the chrome trim on the car.
Although the way the first fog trim piece went, out of the car, I may skip wrapping the chrome completely.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Attached pic shows the comparison between the chrome fog trim and a matte metallic magnet gray fog trim.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Fog light trim removal-fog-trim.jpg  
Old 10-03-16, 09:55 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

I managed to get the fog light trim off today. It isn't bolted, just ctabs, but I don't think it could be removed from the front without breaking them.
I ended up pulling off the under engine liner then removing the fog light and housings to access the tabs. The second one is a lot easier than the first.

As far as the grill chrome strip, I believe it uses the same type of tabs. I had he upper radiator cover off to run a 4ga wire and looked for an easy way to remove that.
I think that will require removal of the whole grill and possible the bumper to access the tabs. I am going to skip that part and try to wrap the chrome trim on the car.
Although the way the first fog trim piece went, out of the car, I may skip wrapping the chrome completely.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Attached pic shows the comparison between the chrome fog trim and a matte metallic magnet gray fog trim.
Thanks for the information. I this weekend cause I wanna dip them to see how they look. What are the fog lights held in place with? Any pics of the process? Oh and the wrapped trim looks really nice
Old 10-03-16, 10:52 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Thanks for the information. I this weekend cause I wanna dip them to see how they look. What are the fog lights held in place with? Any pics of the process? Oh and the wrapped trim looks really nice
No pics. It's pretty easy to remove the fogs. There are 2 screws on one side that hold them in place, then they just tilt out. There are 3 more screws that hold the housing in place. You will need a short philips screwdriver for the passenger side as the washer bottle is in the way.
Old 10-04-16, 08:37 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

No pics. It's pretty easy to remove the fogs. There are 2 screws on one side that hold them in place, then they just tilt out. There are 3 more screws that hold the housing in place. You will need a short philips screwdriver for the passenger side as the washer bottle is in the way.
Can you post a diy
Old 10-04-16, 05:06 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

To remove the fog lights, remove the lower plastic shield. There are 4 10mm bolts on each side plus one for both and 3 push clips on each side.
You can also go in through the fender liner in front of the front tire. I believe there are 3 bolts on the side and one underneath.
Remove the 2 screws on the side of the fog lights, tilt sideways and pull back.
Press the little clip and pull harness off.
Remove the 3 screws holding in the fog light housing. Remove.

To remove the trim piece, find the 5 tabs that hold it in. (4 chrome, 1 black)
Insert a flat tip screw driver or panel/trim tool to the side of the large tab and press the small gray tab that holds the large tabs in place.
Pop the trim piece out.
Do the same thing on the back of the trim piece to separate the chrome section from the black section.
The following users liked this post:
LLX570 (04-17-17)
Old 10-07-16, 05:12 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Can you post a diy
Found an image that might give you an idea of how many tabs there are holding in the grill.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Fog light trim removal-bumper.jpg