ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

GPS Bypass For Constant Video Source

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-16, 09:24 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I have no issue whatever with the idea that people should have the "freedom" to make decisions for themselves regarding "safety vs. risk". However, I do have a problem with such "freedom" when the decisions that people make have the potential of risking the safety of other drivers on the road. A long-held principle related to freedoms and rights has been that our freedoms and rights extend only to the point where they have the potential of interfering with the rights and freedoms of others. Regardless of whether you are a "responsible guy", having the ability to watch video from the driver's seat comes with an increased likelihood, for many drivers, of distracting them and resulting in risks to the safety of other drivers on the road, and I will take issue with those who feel that their "rights" extend to the point where they cause increased risk to my safety.
Agree with jollick. Some folks don't care to consider how what they are doing could affect others.
Old 10-20-16, 09:26 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I personally have no intention of watching anything..Id like to change the number of blinks to chg lanes and a few other things....I dont live the dealer so its not feasable to go there to have them done..
Old 10-20-16, 10:16 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Brent1944
I personally have no intention of watching anything..Id like to change the number of blinks to chg lanes and a few other things....I dont live the dealer so its not feasable to go there to have them done..
Agree with you on that Brent - I think 7 blinks provides a better indication to other drivers so they know what you are doing.
Old 10-20-16, 10:35 AM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Agree with you on that Brent - I think 7 blinks provides a better indication to other drivers so they know what you are doing.
Interesting because I thought it said in the dealer settings sheet it can be changed to 5....no mention of 7. Plan on getting it changed at my 5K. 3 is definitely not enough.
Old 10-20-16, 10:42 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

How much is tech stream and is it just a one time price or a continual fee?
Old 10-20-16, 10:59 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

If you have a smartphone you can get an app and ODB2 adapter from http://www.caristaapp.com/. They were charging a one time in app purchase price but I see it is now a subscription You may get a discount being a member of Club Lexus. I believe they are in the Marketplace here.
Old 10-20-16, 11:31 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Too expensive for what i wanna do....
Old 10-20-16, 08:34 PM
5Ws
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
There's a very easy way to stop the seatbelt beeping. Connect it and keep it connected until you stop driving the car. One click = no beeping...
This problem is solved. I much rather my solution. However, I appreciate your observation.

Originally Posted by lesz
I have no issue whatever with the idea that people should have the "freedom" to make decisions for themselves regarding "safety vs. risk". However, I do have a problem with such "freedom" when the decisions that people make have the potential of risking the safety of other drivers on the road. A long-held principle related to freedoms and rights has been that our freedoms and rights extend only to the point where they have the potential of interfering with the rights and freedoms of others. Regardless of whether you are a "responsible guy", having the ability to watch video from the driver's seat comes with an increased likelihood, for many drivers, of distracting them and resulting in risks to the safety of other drivers on the road, and I will take issue with those who feel that their "rights" extend to the point where they cause increased risk to my safety.
Oh yeah. I've considered your point. I agree and am willing to sacrifice some freedoms for public safety. I believe in speed limits and seatbelts. I agree with our state law making texting while driving illegal. I think murder is a crime and people guilty of such should be jailed for it. I think a drunk driver should be stopped. I picked these examples, because they are more "black and white" issues to me; no blurry grey lines. I imagine others would agree.

However, I feel that taking away my ability to play a DVD, while in motion in my car, is assuming I'm already guilty of driving distracted while watching DVDs. I can tell you for a fact, that I do not watch DVD videos in my car, despite being able to. If my wife wants to watch "Bridesmaids" on a roadtrip in my car, I think she should be able to. I see both sides of this issue. Some people can handle the responsibility of not watching DVDs while driving, while others cannot.

Ultimately, while I do understand it, I don't like the solution to this topic. Rather, I would prefer an option to enable DVD viewing while in motion and accept a higher insurance premium or automatic fault if DVD playing during crash, leading back to taking responsibility to maintain freedom. Of course, I don't know how to implement any of that stuff, as I'm not an automaker, insurance company, or politician. But I hope my point comes across.

Anyway, automatic driving cars and public transportation will take care of this issue in the future. Heh.

Richard
Old 10-20-16, 08:54 PM
5Ws
Rookie

I don't think techstream will be much cheaper. The Mongoose cable runs about $495 and $695 for a bluetooth option. Techstream Lite "Professional Diagnostics" runs about $55 for two days usage.

There are A LOT of knock off cables and hacked software options available on amazon or ebay or whatever. Reviews indicate it's difficult to install on a modern laptop (ie Win 8 or 64 bit processor). Buyer beware, I guess.

RIchard
Old 10-21-16, 06:14 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by 5Ws
However, I feel that taking away my ability to play a DVD, while in motion in my car, is assuming I'm already guilty of driving distracted while watching DVDs. I can tell you for a fact, that I do not watch DVD videos in my car, despite being able to. If my wife wants to watch "Bridesmaids" on a roadtrip in my car, I think she should be able to. I see both sides of this issue. Some people can handle the responsibility of not watching DVDs while driving, while others cannot.

Richard
I have no idea whether whether you would by distracted by having a DVD playing while you are driving, but whether you would be responsible or whether you would be distracted is not really the point. The point is that, if such by-pass devices are being used, some of the people who are using them are not going to be responsible and some of them are going to be distracted, which, in turn, creates a safety risk for you, me, and everyone else on the road. That being the case, I'm not happy to know that anyone, responsible or not, might be using such a device on the same roads on which I'm driving.

To me, being truly responsible would be to embrace the idea that, regardless of whether one intends, himself/herself, to watch a DVD while driving, having such capability on cars is inconsistent with the common good.
Old 10-21-16, 06:59 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Zipit555
Interesting because I thought it said in the dealer settings sheet it can be changed to 5....no mention of 7. Plan on getting it changed at my 5K. 3 is definitely not enough.
I just picked 7 because that's what 5Ws mentioned but I agree with you that 5 is also better than 3. Would be nice if we could change some of these simple things ourselves rather that having to depend on the dealer to do it at a servicing.
Old 10-21-16, 07:50 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 5Ws
This problem is solved. I much rather my solution. However, I appreciate your observation.Oh yeah. I've considered your point. I agree and am willing to sacrifice some freedoms for public safety. I believe in speed limits and seatbelts. I agree with our state law making texting while driving illegal. I think murder is a crime and people guilty of such should be jailed for it. I think a drunk driver should be stopped. I picked these examples, because they are more "black and white" issues to me; no blurry grey lines. I imagine others would agree.

Ultimately, while I do understand it, I don't like the solution to this topic. Rather, I would prefer an option to enable DVD viewing while in motion and accept a higher insurance premium or automatic fault if DVD playing during crash, leading back to taking responsibility to maintain freedom. Of course, I don't know how to implement any of that stuff, as I'm not an automaker, insurance company, or politician. But I hope my point comes across.

Anyway, automatic driving cars and public transportation will take care of this issue in the future. Heh.

Richard
What did you do to turn off the seatbelt chime?
Old 10-21-16, 04:35 PM
5Ws
Rookie

Originally Posted by 5Ws
I don't think techstream will be much cheaper. The Mongoose cable runs about $495 and $695 for a bluetooth option. Techstream Lite "Professional Diagnostics" runs about $55 for two days usage.

There are A LOT of knock off cables and hacked software options available on amazon or ebay or whatever. Reviews indicate it's difficult to install on a modern laptop (ie Win 8 or 64 bit processor). Buyer beware, I guess.

RIchard
Originally Posted by imrankh24
What did you do to turn off the seatbelt chime?
Hey imrank

I included the reply to Brent in an earlier post regarding techstream.

There's actually more than just seatbelt beeps and the 7 "blinks" features that can be changed. The dealer option sheet indicates holding the unlock button for 3 seconds will open all windows and sunroof. I think you can specify which windows open, rather than all of them. I cant confirm this right now, because my laptop battery only gives me 20 minutes. Inspired by this post, I've ordered a new laptop battery. With more battery time, I plan to document the steps, and post the solution. Gunna need some time though.

Hope this answers you question.

RIchard