ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Ideal tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 08:16 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ideal tire pressure?

Hi everyone I was just curious about what everyone is keeping their tire psi at? Haven't had my 2016 that long and it was delivered with 33psi (cold temp) like the door jam says, but as it has gone down to 30-31 I find the ride more comfortable. Mine came with the Michelins...does everyone putting them back up to the recommended? Seems like after I drive for awhile then it reaches 33psi. Appreciate thoughts from everyone who've experimenting with the different psi's. Thank you!
Old 09-14-16, 08:53 AM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure it was delivered at a true "cold temp" psi of 33? If it sat in the sun, was driven, or whatever, when they set it, it could have really only had a cold temp of 30-31 but you wouldn't know that until the tires cool down. Mine were delivered at 35 and adjusted the next morning to 33 psi (in garage over night). They go up to ~35 while driving but that is to be expected. No problems since. Try resetting the pressure first thing in the morning after sitting over night and then see how it does for a week or so. Everyone has different opinions on what is the "right" pressure. Personally, I am running at 33 but would rather be a little over inflated than under inflated. Under inflation can lead to the tire edge wearing excessively over time. Of course, the alternate argument is if over inflated, the tire will wear uneven as well. No magic bullet.

Last edited by Zipit555; 09-14-16 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-14-16, 09:04 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Do you have the regular ES350 or hybrid?
Well the OFFICIAL manufacturer recommended temp is minimum of 33 psi when cold. Officially, it is said that if pressure is lower than recommended, your raise the risk of tire failure when driving. So officially should keep it at least 33 psi when cold.

With that said, my car in interesting - when i got it from the dealer, it was running at 30 psi cold. I was wondering why and if this was on purpose (from other threads, sometimes if anything people find the dealers keep the pressure real high, and while in shipment on the trunks it is jacked up high) . Then I discovered that the car was originally at a dealership in Palm springs DA for the summer months, so probably with the heat the "cold" temp was 33, but then when my dealership got the car, they didnt change the tire pressures, and due to temp difference it dropped to 30 psi cold.

Anyway, a few days after getting the car, I added air to raise to 33 psi cold. However I agree with you - I find for my tastes the ride to firm/harsh even on 33 psi, I actually liked more how it felt at 30 psi!!

Originally Posted by prosgal73
Hi everyone I was just curious about what everyone is keeping their tire psi at? Haven't had my 2016 that long and it was delivered with 33psi (cold temp) like the door jam says, but as it has gone down to 30-31 I find the ride more comfortable. Mine came with the Michelins...does everyone putting them back up to the recommended? Seems like after I drive for awhile then it reaches 33psi. Appreciate thoughts from everyone who've experimenting with the different psi's. Thank you!
Old 09-14-16, 09:12 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

I have a regular ES350 and I have just thinking about driving it for awhile at 30psi for awhile until it goes down a little more but wasn't sure if that was a good idea...I think it goes up to 33 max right now in California
Old 09-14-16, 09:14 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Yes agreed it's hard to know what is better in the long run. I've driven overinflated in the past, no magic bullet know but curious since this is my first ES and at the higher psi I felt less control of my car on turns that's why I was asking.
Old 09-14-16, 09:26 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Assuming 33 psi is the recommend tire pressure (I haven't checked), anything lower will give you a slightly more comfortable ride while anything higher should give you better fuel economy. Generally speaking, its safe to play around with the psi +/- few pounds within a reasonable range. Go too far out and you're going to wear out your tires either outside or inside prematurely.

When I had a Prius, I ran +5 psi to get better fuel economy. I also liked the fact that it firmed up the ride a bit. In the Prius, every MPG counts. In the ES ..... Not so much.
Old 09-14-16, 09:42 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

well I have the ES300h so psychologically every MPG can count too just like Prius drivers

Currently I have been getting about 36 MPG overall with tires at 33psi. If I was motivated to get up to the advertised 40MPG I could raise my tire pressure, but I would rather soft ride than bragging rights about best MPG . I'm happy with 36 MPG!

Right now my tires in the LA area are about 32-33 first thing in the morning, and as I drive go up a bit, but I have'nt seen it go higher than 35 when driving/warm, but the weather has been relatively cool.

What's interesting is that the recommended PSI on my 05 ES was 30, but the current ES recommends 33psi. Although I am pretty sure the older lexus may have been a heavier car....

Originally Posted by azipod
Assuming 33 psi is the recommend tire pressure (I haven't checked), anything lower will give you a slightly more comfortable ride while anything higher should give you better fuel economy. Generally speaking, its safe to play around with the psi +/- few pounds within a reasonable range. Go too far out and you're going to wear out your tires either outside or inside prematurely.

When I had a Prius, I ran +5 psi to get better fuel economy. I also liked the fact that it firmed up the ride a bit. In the Prius, every MPG counts. In the ES ..... Not so much.
Old 09-14-16, 09:46 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

keep in mind in california, in a couple of months when it gets "cold" you will find lower morning psi readings - then you may well want to squirt a bit more air in each tire....

I have a regular ES350 and I have just thinking about driving it for awhile at 30psi for awhile until it goes down a little more but wasn't sure if that was a good idea...I think it goes up to 33 max right now in California
Old 09-14-16, 10:12 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I've always kept the tire pressure in all of my vehicles at the manufacturer's recommended pressure, and I'll admit to being somewhat OCD about keeping the proper pressure. That means that, in the spring when temperatures are warming, I check the pressure every two weeks or so and let out a bit of air each time, and, in the fall when temperatures are getting cooler, I check the pressure every two weeks or so and add a bit of air each time. Every 10 degrees in temperature can change the pressure by a pound or two.

Under inflating the tires can result in, not only decreased fuel economy, but, also, more edge wear on the treads. Over inflating can cause increased wear in the center of the tire tread. I find that, if I use the manufacturer's recommendations, I get a good balance between ride comfort, tire wear, and fuel economy.

If I were inclined to lower the pressure to get a more comfortable ride, I don't think that I would do it by more than about 2 pounds. Again, with lower pressure, you are going to decrease fuel economy and have some extra wear on the edges of the treads.
Old 09-14-16, 10:24 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Thanks for the tip, it's supposed to hit the 90s again next week so after the heat wave passes I'll make sure to do that

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
keep in mind in california, in a couple of months when it gets "cold" you will find lower morning psi readings - then you may well want to squirt a bit more air in each tire....
Old 09-14-16, 10:29 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

wow and I thought I was OCD, but not about tires. that's great for your tires but I don't think most are as good about it. do you just stop by the gas station and do it yourself to keep it up so regularly...

Originally Posted by lesz
I've always kept the tire pressure in all of my vehicles at the manufacturer's recommended pressure, and I'll admit to being somewhat OCD about keeping the proper pressure. That means that, in the spring when temperatures are warming, I check the pressure every two weeks or so and let out a bit of air each time, and, in the fall when temperatures are getting cooler, I check the pressure every two weeks or so and add a bit of air each time. Every 10 degrees in temperature can change the pressure by a pound or two.

Under inflating the tires can result in, not only decreased fuel economy, but, also, more edge wear on the treads. Over inflating can cause increased wear in the center of the tire tread. I find that, if I use the manufacturer's recommendations, I get a good balance between ride comfort, tire wear, and fuel economy.

If I were inclined to lower the pressure to get a more comfortable ride, I don't think that I would do it by more than about 2 pounds. Again, with lower pressure, you are going to decrease fuel economy and have some extra wear on the edges of the treads.
Old 09-14-16, 10:36 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

wow and I thought I was OCD, but not about tires. that's great for your tires but I don't think most are as good about it. do you just stop by the gas station and do it yourself to keep it up so regularly...
I do it right in my garage. I check the pressure with my own gage, which is more accurate, I think, than the TPMS on the car. And, if I have to add any air, I use the small air compressor that I bought for about $25. Since I want to make sure that I am checking the pressure and adding or removing air when the tires are cold, I don't want to use the air at a gas station because even driving a few miles to the gas station is going to warm up the air in the tires.
Old 09-14-16, 10:41 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Really wow, that's accuracy...you're right driving to the gas station is going to warm it up. What brand of air compressor is this that is $25 and where did you buy it if I might ask? do you think it was a worthwhile investment?

I do it right in my garage. I check the pressure with my own gage, which is more accurate, I think, than the TPMS on the car. And, if I have to add any air, I use the small air compressor that I bought for about $25. Since I want to make sure that I am checking the pressure and adding or removing air when the tires are cold, I don't want to use the air at a gas station because even driving a few miles to the gas station is going to warm up the air in the tires.
Old 09-14-16, 10:43 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

agree. Although here in Southern Cal we don' t have as much temp change as you do - so I change pressure every 2-3 months.
Also to note - if pressure is significantly lower than recommended, there is risk of premature tire failure due to overheating.

Old 09-14-16, 10:51 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

thanks I was going to ask how often you check in California but I just got the car so that's why I waiting to check until next month when it gets cooler.
Originally Posted by bostonsnow
agree. Although here in Southern Cal we don' t have as much temp change as you do - so I change pressure every 2-3 months.
Also to note - if pressure is significantly lower than recommended, there is risk of premature tire failure due to overheating.

Quick Reply: Ideal tire pressure?